cable drums & storage boxes

Forum for discussion relating to the 88mm Flak36
Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 737 times

cable drums & storage boxes

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

As there are four sets of drums and boxes on the bogie's, any improvements made however small turn into quite a labour, the brackets holding the drums should be of a box section, and have opening quick release bearings; also the sides of the cable drums are dished outwards, and should be flat so they can lock in place, I had a go tonight to see if I could make a working hinged drum bracket with a sprung loaded lever, its fiddly but can be done, only problem 7 more to do

regards
Jeff

Colin Richards
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Colin Richards »

Hi Jeff

super detailing again, I've been working on the drums for a few weeks now on and off and in the end just attached dummy levers to the brackets. I've had fun with the electrical cables though and have had difficulty getting a feel for the true size of them. In the end I have gone for a maplins special which look about right for the size of the drum etc.

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Collin, its good to hear from you, we seem to be at the same place on the build, I started to cut the levers last night, only managed 6, out of 16, but cut all the brass blocks for the drum brackets, I think it will take about a month to finish the drums, I managed to find loads of small springs, that will fit most of the sprung levers on the model, you are more than welcome to some
regards
Jeff

Alfredo Campanini

Post by Alfredo Campanini »

Hello Jeffrey,
I understand that its nice to make a superdetailed model, but now you are exaggerating ....

Many, many congratulations for this superb work

Alfredo
Alfredo

Colin Richards
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Colin Richards »

Hello Jeff

thanks for the offer of the springs. I will be in touch shortly regarding a visit to Northampton to look at your superb work. I filed my levels out of aluminium sheet, drillinmg the hole first and then working around it. They took ages so I limited the work to a couple each evening. I do not know how you manage to get all the levers working off tiny springs. You must be very dextrous. My fingers are like sausages and I find it difficult to work at such a relatively small scale.
I'll bring one of my bogies and the cruciform with me when I visit.
Still very green with envy best regards
Colin

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi Jeff

Excellent work, as usual.

I took these pictures today while visiting Jacques Littlefield's collection and though maybe there's a view of something you don't have. Doubtful, I know, but I thought I'd post them anyways. In hindsight, I'm sorry I didn't take more.

If I didn't know better, I'd say these pictures were of your 88.

Regards

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Tim, thanks for thinking of me, the pictures are great, not sure if I would attempt the optical sight, the only piece that I am having trouble working out what it does, are the flat sided posts / levers that are joined together and stored on the opposite side to the gun leaning rods, above the pry-bar, the only 88 I have seen them on is on Vince's pictures at Saumur, I was wondering if they were used to remove the cable drums, and with one each side to act as a ramp, if there is anybody with any info I would be most grateful, it looks like it is made from 6 pieces of metal, about 4-5 feet long, and clamped together, 3 up 3 down in a mirrored configuration,
regards
Jeff

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

I have re-modelled the base that holds the cable drums, made the storage box from mild steel, as the cast ones were to thick and very heavy, the boxes on the full size 88s were set lower on the base, have shown the sequence of alterations in pictures.
regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

Jeff,

I can't think what those bars would be for. Are you thinking of a couple of bars to slide the cable drum up from the ground onto its mounting bracket? Looing at the complexity of the full size machines you are certainly taking on quite a task with the bogies
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

progress on the storage boxes has been slow, I scraped the first attempt, the hinges were not right, so I made my own, this is a bit fiddly, but worked well for me, and have now made all 4 storage boxes, and have started to make and fit the brackets for the tools
regards Jeff

Allan Richards

Post by Allan Richards »

What can I say, the work on the boxes is amazing, and to make your own hinges as well !!! I'm about ready to put some decals on the Sherman but have been fighting witht he scanner today. I can't push the reesolution enough to increase the size by 6 times without loosing too much resolution.
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Allan, what decals are you making for the Sherman, if its the white stars, would it not be better to cut out the outline after scanning, and use as a stencil with paint, just a thought
regards
Jeff

simon_manning
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by simon_manning »

i am enjoying this build,amazing skill level ,keep the photos coming.

simon manning

Allan Richards

Post by Allan Richards »

Jeff,

I find these decals a real pain and hate doing them. I've got some of the stars from "John's Stuff" I was trying to scan in some 1/35th decals and scale them up but despite spraying varnish over the ink jet print it still ran when put in water - no good at all !!! I will try again.

I've never had much success with stencils.
Allan Richards

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi Jeff,

It's great to see the two Trailer sections together. Just amazing.

regards

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel