Spektrum DX8G2

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Simon Peck
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 44 times

Spektrum DX8G2

Post by Simon Peck »

Dear All,

I’ve a new transmitter (tx) and receiver (rx) all plugged in as per instructions (I think!) but I can’t get the tx and rx to bind. I’ve increased the distance between the two to say 2m, I’ve set the receiver flat on the table etc, but I always get ‘bind failed’. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Spektrum DX8G2

Post by Adrian Harris »

Does the RX use a bind plug or is it one of the newer ones with a bind button ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Good question Adrian - both! Didn’t come with a bind plug, so I made one. The paper manual is very generic and doesnt strictly cover the exact model of equipment.
Attachments
C0760A0A-53BE-4B9E-99A5-80B0CB9DEA05.jpeg

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

It's usually pretty straightforwards.

I would remove the bind plug as its not needed with that receiver.

Power up the receiver with the bind button pressed. Release the button after a second or so and the receiver LED should flash orange to show it is in bind mode.

Power up the transmitter with the bind button pressed, then release and it should go through the bind process.

Once bound, power both off (receiver first) then power back on (transmitter first) and receiver LED should be a solid orange to show it is bound.

Adrian
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Simon

I’ve had the same problem with Spektrum. Increasing the separation between ex and tx didn’t immediately produce a bind. You can also make sure that the wire antennae on the rx are at 90deg to each other. After these two checks, there isn’t much else to do but keep trying, using the process Adrian described. It took me several goes on the last occasion but eventually I got a successful bind and after that, it’s been first time every time.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Adrian, Stephen. Thanks for the replies. I’ve tried all angles, I wonder if I’ve somehow plugged it wrong? Stephen, when you had this issue, was there anything you did, you thought may have helped the two to bind?

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I've no idea if these make a difference but is the frame rate set to 22ms and the Mode set to DSMX ?

The Frame Rate page is under the System Setup menu.

Adrian.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Hi Adrian,

Yes, frame rate and mode are set to 22ms, DSMX. I bought two, and both do the same thing, on two separate Armortek modules. I’m plugged into: Battery, Throttle and Elevator. With two identical units, it must be something I’m doing/not doing, but I don’t see it.

Any ideas?

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

It's your wiring...

Peck.jpg

If you look at the picture above, with the part ringed in red, it shows that the servo plugs should be inserted into the receiver with the signal wires towards the centre of the receiver and the ground wires (-) towards the outside of the receiver.

In that sort of Armortek wiring, the green is the earth, the red is the power and the blue is the signal, so you have the plugs in the receiver the wrong way round.

Plug them in so that the blues are towards the centre of the receiver and it should work.

Adrian.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Thank you Adrian! That fixed it. Now the rx’s are bound to the tx’s, but nothing happens in response to stick movement. I’ve plugged right track to elevator, and left track to throttle but there’s no response at all. Your help is much appreciated!

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

The quickest way to test these things is to plug an ordinary servo into each of the receiver outlets in turn and seeing which stick and switch operates each channel.

If you roll the thumb wheel on the transmitter to the right, you will get a monitor screen, which shows what it thinks should be happening on each channel.

Adrian.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Would anyone know; why these two fuses blow? It seems triggered by the main drive motors. They don’t blow if I hold the spring loaded right hand stick back, but immediately I start to advance, they blow.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
CDCDC691-6742-40A8-9708-ED8AA3939B08.jpeg

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

They're blowing because you're drawing too much current :D

I would guess there's a short circuit somewhere.

The 5A should be powering the Amplifier Module, but I can't see how driving would blow that as there's no link between it and the Motion Control Module apart from through the receiver wiring, and that would be burning before a fuse blew.

Does the 5A still blow if you remove the 40A fuse in place ? And vice-versa ?

You need to go through the wiring and isolate the fault.

I'm also curious as why you have to hold the spring loaded stick back ? It's normal to have them centered when the tank is not moving, in both single stick and dual stick mode.

Adrian.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. I was holding the stick back because the transmitter was warning me “Throttle High!” But of course you’re right, they should be centred for a tank.

I don’t know why I’d be drawing too much current, it’s a bench test, with no load on anything.

I’ll have to experiment with fuses. How do you find a short circuit? Sorry for the idiot questions, I don’t know anything about electrics!

Cheers.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Simon,

The Throttle High warning is for model aircraft and is easy to get rid of.

- Press the Roller Bar to open the Function List Menu

- Scroll down to System Setup and accept Yes in the next dialogue

- Scroll down to Warnings

- Scroll to highlight Throttle and scroll through the Options (Over 10%, Under 10%, Inhibit). Select the latter and exit all menus.

You'll now find a blissful silence when you move the stick.

Adrian is your man for wiggle amps, it's a mystery to me too.

Stephen