Elektrikery

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Simon Peck
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 44 times

Elektrikery

Post by Simon Peck »

Not really what I’m good at! I have the older set up from 2010/11, but one of the newer motion control modules. Can I use that with the one/some of the (amplifier) older modules? What radio transmitter would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
72ABF761-F322-4B80-B8D8-3E372C1E51A6.jpeg
963126D6-1ACC-4C0B-A82E-4DBBEAD2FE58.jpeg
677E3DB8-9394-4ACA-8B38-602C121A3664.jpeg

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Elektrikery

Post by Stephen White »

Simon, I believe the modules are backwards compatible but check with Armortek. Re radio systems, see the Knowledge Base here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... 8e522c9e45

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the link. I had checked the knowledge base but saw it was more than three years old, I didn’t know if things had moved on significantly since then?
Cheers,
Simon

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Simon, you're right, it does need updating. I don't think much has changed to alter the advice but I suppose it should be updated to take account of any changes which are relevant to the new motion system which Kian announced recently. I added one very minor change to the other topic on setting up Spektrum systems, to reflect on the update to the methods of binding Tx to Rx.

The most significant development on the radio system side is the advent of software defined radios, particularly those using OpenTX. Systems such as the Taranis X9D + offer a huge increase in capability. Liam Mahoney has, for example, used the system to simulate gear changes on his Tiger and the ability to use software defined virtual switches opens up more options for controlling the sound cards. I've got a Taranis and I'm relying heavily on YouTube Channels such as Painless360 and Joshua Bardwell to guide me through the software, which is pretty complex. Therein lies the issue. Software defined radios aren't for anyone not prepared to invest a lot of time and effort to master the programming. It's like learning any new software, or learning a language. It seems impossibly complex, confusing and impenetrable at first but once you get stuck in, there is a tipping point after which it all becomes much easier.

I'd say at the moment that the most popular radio system for Armortek models is the Spectrum DX range. Futaba were the default choice but their quality has fallen off significantly and development lags behind the other manufacturers. There are also known compatibility issues with the Futaba T-FHSS systems ie those capable of telemetry.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Thanks again Stephen,

Good advice/info. I’m not really interested enough at this stage to go the programming route. Reading again through different threads, it seems the Spectrum DX8 is pretty popular, so I’ll probably go with that, even though it seems to have been around for ten years or so!

Cheers,

Simon

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Spektrum seem to upgrade their radios without changing the name, but look for a Gen2 or G2 transmitter (currently).

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Ah, ok. Good to know, thanks Adrian!

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Dear All. Bench testing: everything works, except the main drive motors don’t respond. I’ve plugged them all different ways and no luck. I’ve and tried them direct to battery and they turn, so motors are ok. Any thoughts? Cheers!
Attachments
B828CD5B-1A8C-459C-8D82-896CC3AB738F.jpeg

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Simon
Check the spade connectors the motor wires plug on too are soldered in the board correctly.
On more than one occasion I have had dry joints where the pins are through the board.

Regard

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Do the LEDs change brightness when you move the sticks ?

It looks like you have the older style connection cables. Which way round have you got them in the receiver ?

Earth - Armortek = Green Futaba = Black JR/Spektrum = Brown
Power - Armortek = Red Futaba = Red JR/Spektrum = Red
Signal - Armortek = Blue Futaba = White JR/Spektrum = Orange

There should be a diagram on the receiver to show which way round the plugs go in.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Thanks Derek, that’s interesting, I’ll check that tomorrow! Odd that both motor connections would be dry though!?

Hi Adrian, yes brightness changes. I have two identical setups, the other works faultlessly.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Does the relay click when you move the sticks ?

Does it behave the same as the working one ?

Adrian

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Yes, relay clicks. The sound, gun elevation turret rotation motors work same as the other one.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I notice one of the RH drivers is missing it's nut, and is sitting away from the heatsink, which may have resulted in it suffering heat damage.

Or the loose nut may have shorted something on the PCB.

I've repaired a few of these but I don't think I've ever had one which was dead on both sides.

Adrian.

Simon Peck

Post by Simon Peck »

Adrian, thank you, very observant! Nut replaced. These units were all originally plugged together by Armortek at my request. Not sure if they were ever test run. I’ve not had it switched on long enough to build up any kind of heat. As for the nut shorting something, I can’t say for sure. How would I check it? Thanks again.