Mick's Grant

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 819 times

Re: Mick's Grant

Post by michael hilton »

Good afternoon, thank you for your replies Kian, Dennis and Adrian. I have ordered a Spektrum eight channel receiver. It is a genuine Spektrum from my usual model supplier.
Early in the M3 build I decided to change the 'recoil' from the sponson to the turret. I was not keen on the 'Special' so I purchased the standard recoil pack. The servo's are now installed and working. Moving on to the lights, I have the Turnigy dialed in, tech term. It's all looking good, most enjoyable kit to build, recommended by Mick. :)
Attachments
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, I spent this morning locating the upper hull and turret. There is always a glitch is there not....
I have to say all is well apart from this small issue.
I have the drive motors on my transmitter sticks, left and right, forward/reverse. When I move the right hand transmitter stick, the turret also turns.....Not supposed to do that....
Before I delve into the depths of the lower hull, is there a simple answer. The turret turn is on the right hand transmitter stick, left to right, and works fine on it's own.
I was careful not to move the transmitter stick both ways.... :roll:
Any thoughts before I remove the upper hull and turret....Mick

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi mick, looking good mate, may I suggest that you first check the mixing of the channels on your tx before you dig deep in the hull. 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1383 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

If you scroll the thumb wheel on the transmitter to the right, you should see a "Monitor" screen, with the various outputs displayed in a line.

When you move a control stick or activate a switch, you should see the relevant control move on the screen. You can do this without switching on the tank.

When you move each of the sticks, does only one output move, or do you get some moving together ?

If the latter, you have some form of mixing enabled on the transmitter, which will need to be disabled so that only one output changes for each control on the transmitter. If the former, it sounds like you have two channels linked somewhere in the wiring.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Adrian, ok, checked the Monitor screen....and yes both RAL and LAL move together, so the transmitter right hand stick is moving both controls. Not sure how to disable this mixing issue, I have looked at the Mixing screen which shows INH on all positions. I have a spare channel available on the left stick, left to right, I could try moving the receiver lead. I have never used 'mixing' with my models...Mick

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Try this, with the tank off:

Press the thumb wheel to get to the "Function List" screen.

Scroll the thumbwheel right down to "System Setup"

Press the thumbwheel to select.

Scroll the thumbwheel right to select Yes, and then press again to select.

Use the thumbwheel to scroll down to Aircraft Type and press again to select.

Use the thumbwheel to scroll down to Wing. You'll probably find it's on Elevon or Elevon-B.

Press the thumbwheel to select and then scroll so it says Normal.

Press the little Back button until the transmitter returns to the normal screen.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Adrian....eureka, followed your advice….all is well, Knowledge is all things, thank you, I will rest easy. :) Mick

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning, ran the options this morning....every option working as expected. The Grant is a very pleasant build, a small sized model, easy to manoeuvre on the work bench, ideal for the smallest bedroom. Wheels to fit, tracks and paint....what more could a man ask.... :) Mick
Attachments
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

That's looking really good Mick! Glad you got everything hooked up and working! I agree the Lee/Grant is a unique looking model.
Best regards,
Bob

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello everyone, as you can see I have been very busy building the replica engine :roll: I wish.
Thank you for your comment Robert.
Reference the new modules, John, I returned the Audio Module to Armortek I had a problem with the 'sounds' programme. The main gun and M/G were tweaked, only needing Kian's gentle touch, those issues were resolved. The other difficulty centered around Motor Control B. This issue was identified by 'Adrian' who corrected the turret turn problem by pointing out that my Spektrum receiver was receiving two power inputs at the same time, not a good idea.
I disconnected one power supply by removing the 'red' lead from the three lead control cable going from Motor Control B to the Rx...hope that makes sense.
I have not had any problems with my main drive motors. All other 'options' work and operate as they should. I am currently configuring the battery wiring to exit through the rear engine compartment doors...I can disconnect both batteries and recharge each battery individually...it is not now necessary to remove the turret and upper hull to access the batteries....Mick
Attachments
It's a bugger to start...
It's a bugger to start...

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Glad to hear you have things sorted, and I love the trompe l'oeil radial engine.

Now you just need a small bottle of used engine oil taped to the rear of the hull, with a pin hole in it so it leaves a dark puddle every time you park the model :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Wonderful news Mick, I'm chuffed for you, and what a great idea with the engine bay enhancement 8) ,

Phil could learn some lessons here :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Morn'in all, finished the rewire...as before the batteries exit through the rear engine doors. Each battery can be isolated and charged individually.... Mick
Attachments
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Mick
Looking good like the engine idea better than looking at a golf trolly battery.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Frank Breitenbach
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 689 times

Post by Frank Breitenbach »

Hi Mick
A really good idea with your engine photo. Very easy but very effective! I like it.
The lights inside your model looks also very nice!
Kind regards
Frank