Panther 112

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Panther 112

Post by Phil Woollard »

Not a build thread but may be of interest.
My recently acquired Panther turret number 112 (thank you Chris) When I get a minuet I will be upgrading the electrics, there's a problem with the off side rear idler and the turret traverse is not working.

My plan is to address the above issues, it's very high spec with an 8 channel radio and was refurbished a while ago by one of the best builders on this forum.

I will add new speakers, the latest panther sounds, a high pressure smoker and a dedicated esc for the turret traverse motor, plus a few more bits and pieces I expect.

The Panther will be towed by the new Famo, recreating many of the photos that we have come to love with lots of video to (roll on the spring and summer of next year). I have already filmed the Panther returning from the battle field coming under small arms and mortar fire, this I shall post to Youtube as soon as the editing is complete.

Some stills of the VT and how she looks right now.
Attachments
Panther 4.jpg
Panther 4.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 10303 times
Panther 5.jpg
Panther 5.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 10303 times
Panther 4.jpg
Panther 2.jpg
Panther.jpg
Panther 112 _Moment.jpg
P1060709 small.jpg
P1060707 small.jpg
P1060704 small.jpg
P1060703 small.jpg
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Panther 112

Post by Steve Stuart »

The mud on the tracks looks great and the 'misty' morning is atmospheric!
Steve

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Stills from the video.
Attachments
Panther 2.jpg
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

The video.

Attachments
Panther 2.jpg
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Came across this Panther image that I've never seen before.
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-696-0432-13,_Polen,_Panzer_V_'Panther'_auf_dem_Feld.2.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-696-0432-13,_Polen,_Panzer_V_'Panther'_auf_dem_Feld.2.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I've made a start on 112, greasing the final drives and general maintenance. this gives me an opportunity to look over the vehicle.
Attachments
Lovely condition with an excellent patina. The last thing you want to do is clean it, so just the area to be worked on needs a clean before disassembly to keep the dust away from the oily bits.
Lovely condition with an excellent patina. The last thing you want to do is clean it, so just the area to be worked on needs a clean before disassembly to keep the dust away from the oily bits.
These models are a pleasure to work on, so long as the spares department keep up their great work we could keep them going for ever!
These models are a pleasure to work on, so long as the spares department keep up their great work we could keep them going for ever!
The rear idler needs tightening from the inside but I will remove and lubricate where necessary before doing so.
The rear idler needs tightening from the inside but I will remove and lubricate where necessary before doing so.
As usual cable ties required on the smaller motors, I see the lack of these all the time, it's such a simple job to do and as I said it's stops the cable breaking off at the soldered joint.
As usual cable ties required on the smaller motors, I see the lack of these all the time, it's such a simple job to do and as I said it's stops the cable breaking off at the soldered joint.
DSC_2004.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As the weather is not good I'm in the tank shop working on the Panther running gear.
Attachments
A busy tank shop is just heaven for me!
A busy tank shop is just heaven for me!
The final drive cases all greased up and sealed against the dust and water, just wipe away the excess grease after tightening.
The final drive cases all greased up and sealed against the dust and water, just wipe away the excess grease after tightening.
A tip, apply a little heat to the split pins if they are a bit stubborn to get them to move, same goes for the track pins. Then use a brass drift to start to move the pin, then use an old track pin to push all the way out.
A tip, apply a little heat to the split pins if they are a bit stubborn to get them to move, same goes for the track pins. Then use a brass drift to start to move the pin, then use an old track pin to push all the way out.
Here's a useful tip, use your Rabone Chesterman steel rule to to turn the threaded wheel centers, it fits just great as not much else does.
Here's a useful tip, use your Rabone Chesterman steel rule to to turn the threaded wheel centers, it fits just great as not much else does.
New track links fitted as several had horns missing probably due to drive way gravel stones getting caught, a good reason to avoid drive way gravel altogether.
New track links fitted as several had horns missing probably due to drive way gravel stones getting caught, a good reason to avoid drive way gravel altogether.
On this side the sprocket is happy at this position on the final drive shaft, so here it will stay as the wheels are equally between the track horns and it sounds just fine as it all goes around, in fact it makes the unmistakable track clatter that only a Panther does.
On this side the sprocket is happy at this position on the final drive shaft, so here it will stay as the wheels are equally between the track horns and it sounds just fine as it all goes around, in fact it makes the unmistakable track clatter that only a Panther does.
Setting up the sprocket position, basically as i have said before, leave the taper lock lose and gently run the tracks around slowly and let the sprocket find it's own comfortable position, (within reason of course if it has a serious fault then fix that first) then tighten the taper lock but just check those last two road wheels are sitting equally between the track horns.
Setting up the sprocket position, basically as i have said before, leave the taper lock lose and gently run the tracks around slowly and let the sprocket find it's own comfortable position, (within reason of course if it has a serious fault then fix that first) then tighten the taper lock but just check those last two road wheels are sitting equally between the track horns.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

This little beauty is just about ready, I have tidied the wiring, added heat shrink where necessary, it now has fully proportional turret traverse, some new track links here and there, the oily bits are oiled, the final drives have been packed with grease,all the lights are now working,all in all a very well put together late war Panther which now runs and drives perfectly
I will post on the for sale and wanted very soon, I need to drive it around for a while with a big smile on my face first! :D Regards Phil.
Attachments
DSC_2046.JPG
Nicely set out interior, very neat and tidy.
Nicely set out interior, very neat and tidy.
There's a lot going on in there, really i have not had to do that much so that will reflect in the asking price.
There's a lot going on in there, really i have not had to do that much so that will reflect in the asking price.
DSC_2042.JPG
It's spotless in there
It's spotless in there
The electrics are a bit old school and in a way easier to understand.
The electrics are a bit old school and in a way easier to understand.
DSC_2045.JPG
DSC_2047.JPG
DSC_2048.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Some more photos. Panther film showing the polished middle wheel rims, don't paint or polish every one, be random.
Attachments
Working steel barrel travel lock
Working steel barrel travel lock
DSC_2049.JPG
Working wire cutters with wooden handles, many other gucci parts dotted all over.
Working wire cutters with wooden handles, many other gucci parts dotted all over.
DSC_2060.JPG
DSC_2061.JPG
DSC_2051.JPG
DSC_2050.JPG
DSC_2045.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

The Panther is headed my way! I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Does anyone know if these exhaust pipes are accurate. Or should it have spark arresting mufflers to be more accurate?

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Brian
Congratulations on your purchase, it should be in really good condition after Phil has worked his magic on it.
The exhausts on late war Panthers varied, I think it was a matter of what was available in the parts bin at the factory when they were assembled. No need to change them but if you prefer the flame damping type you could put those on and it would still be correct.
Regards
Steve

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Congratulations Brian. Lost count. How many do you have now? :)

Vince

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

A few pieces but none fully built. Anxious to get the panther before our snow is gone maybe I can do a snow camo.

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Brian Ostlind wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Does anyone know if these exhaust pipes are accurate. Or should it have spark arresting mufflers to be more accurate ?
Brian -

When I owned 112 it was definitely my intention to fit the flammenvernichter. It's been built with some very late (March - April 1945) adaptions, so I felt the exhaust guards would be 'right'. It's a personal choice thing though and, as Steve rightly says, there's a world of difference between what the textbooks say and Real Life ......

Another thing I was considering was swapping the rear wheels for the all-steel versions as used on the late Tiger 1. Another very late War adaption.

But, whatever you do, have fun with the old girl !

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Chris it is my undersataning the steel Panther rims are different design than tiger steel wheels and to my knowledge AT hasn’t made panther steel rims. In any case it would be sweet if they did make them and the exhausts too.