RE: poor firefly

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Alfred Pfaff

RE: poor firefly

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

Hi all, I sure appreciate all your knowledge when it comes to these tanks. Since the armortek I bought I did not put together I am having difficulties. As prevouisly notes I believe a gear is messed up as I have the track off and the sprocket turns, but with any pressure or weight on it, it stops. First how do I get the sprocket off , it looks like I need some sort of puller. Second does anyone know where I can get instructions on this so I don't have to bug you all. I appreciate everyone's help in getting my Firefly up and operational.

Very Respectfully

Alfred Pfaff

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Re: RE: poor firefly

Post by Tim Bowman »

Hi Alfred

I'm sure if you sweet-talk Gill she can help with a pdf of the the instructions. maybe? :)

These are from the first release so may not pertain to your model. I do not know what was changed on the Firefly release or how much more detailed the instruction are. But if the same or similar, maybe this will help.

kind regards
Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Alfred Pfaff

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

Tim that looks as though its the one but do I just hit the end sprocket off? The drive key is in pretty good and I don't want to break anything else :D . Any suggestions on getting it off without damaging anything??

Thanks

Alfred Pfaff

Paul Morris
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Paul Morris »

Hello Alfred.

Sorry to hear your having problems first off Tim is correct I feel sure Gill would help you out with some instructions.
For now however check out Tim's second picture the exploded diagram, part number 19 is what you want to be looking at the "Taper lock" you must already have the sprocket cap off if you can see the "key" and the end of the drive shaft you will see three holes in the taper lock? two of these holes will have grub screws in and are used to tighten the taper onto the shaft! the third centre hole is used to release the taper, slacken off the first two grub screws completely, remove one of them and place it in the third centre hole and tighten it in, a little grease or light oil may help here it WILL be tight and you may need to tighten and slacken it off once or twice but if the taper lock has been correctly fitted this will work, quite often you will hear a small "crack" sound as the taper releases the shaft then the sprocket and taper will be simply pushed off the shaft as you wind the grub screw in . . . . to a point where you will be able to simply pull it off.
Hope this helps a little if not here we are.
Cheers Paul :wink: .
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Hi Alfred

We have replied to your direct e-mail to us on this one, and Paul is completely correct in his words above. However, the problem is more likely to be in the worm and wheel gearbox attached to the motor. This is mount inside the tank.

Is this an Armortek Firefly, or a conversion from an earlier Armortek M4A3?

Mark
Armortek

Alfred Pfaff

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

I wish it would have worked, the grub screw does not fit the center piece, as the sprocket cover screw goes in the center. I tried to tighten the sprocket cover screw down as hard as I could and it wouldn't move past a certain point. I am lost, I wish I could tell you what the actual type this tank is but I don't know. I guess I'm the 4th person to own it. Hope the pics help...Thanks in advance.

Respectfully

Alfred Pfaff
Attachments
cover plate with grub screws( not same size or thread type)
cover plate with grub screws( not same size or thread type)
sprocket as it is now
sprocket as it is now

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Albert.

Looking at your lower picture, the holes in the taper lock bush at the 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions are used to hold the bush in place.

The hole at 10 o'clock (upper left hand side) is the one you need to use to release the bush from the sprocket.

If you screw the grub screw into this hole, you should be able to release the taper lock bush.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Alfred Pfaff

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

Thanks Adrian I will give it a try after work appreciate everyones help.

Respectfully

Alfred Pfaff

Alfred Pfaff

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

Thanks Adrian it popped off nicely, now I just need to buy a m3 socket or wrench tomorrow to get the gear cover off and inspect and damage there. and possible remove the engine depending on the issue. I am sure you'll see some new posts soon.

Respectfully

Alfred Pfaff

Paul Morris
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Paul Morris »

Hi Alfred.

Glad you got it off.
Cheers Paul.
Paul's Tank Workshop. Complete Tank builds and re builds zimmerit and paint to museum quality standard. pjtigerman@aol.com
01524 720977
https://www.facebook.com/PaulsTankWorkshop

Alfred Pfaff

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

I believe I may have found the issue, I will need others advice to see if it is in fact the problem. I pulled the gear box off and the gear is intact no wear or tear. I turned on the tank and moved the throttle forward the gear turned. I held the gear and just the inner shaft turned. After removing the engine I found what appears to be a dow missing that would hold the gear and the shaft. Enclosed is the picture. Any advice is appreciated very very much. Thanks

Respectfully

Alfred Pfaff
Attachments
gear with out dow. I believe this is the issue
gear with out dow. I believe this is the issue

Alfred Pfaff

Post by Alfred Pfaff »

Also does anyone know the size of the dow that I would use if it is indeed this.

Thanks

Alfred Pfaff

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Hi Alfred

If you e-mail us directly with your address, we will send you a couple of the dowels that should be fitted. Once fitted repeat your test of holding the gear to make sure there are no issues inside the worm and wheel gearbox fitted to the Parvalux motors.

Regards
Mark
Armortek