New Return Roller Brackets

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

New Return Roller Brackets

Post by Adrian Harris »

Here's something I've been working on for quite some time now :oops: :oops:

The return roller brackets on both Sherman models have been simplified for production purposes so I was interested to see how easy it would be to improve their accuracy.

It starts off with two pieces of 2mm steel.
Picture 1.JPG
Picture 1.JPG (34.1 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
I've made up two of the most common bracket shapes. An M32, which used to be a gate guardian at the REME museum, had both types fitted, which was handy for measurements and photographs.

I've added slots and tabs in in order to better align the piece when soldering. It also helps as the sides are quite springy, so they hold the parts together.

These prototype parts have slits cut into them to make the bending easier, but as they're only 2mm steel, I hope to be able to make up a jig to be able to fold them without the slits.

I had hoped to fill the slits with silver solder but I can't get a good enough separation between the different areas, so I end up reheating the main join. These ones are simply filled with JB Weld.

Adrian
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Re: New Return Roller Brackets

Post by Adrian Harris »

Next, the parts are silver soldered together.
Picture 2.JPG
Picture 2.JPG (105.05 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

It's quite a while since I've done any soldering, so I made quite a mess of the first one. I gave this one more time and preparation and the result was much much better.
Picture 3.JPG
Picture 3.JPG (105.18 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

This is how the part looks installed on the bogie housing.
Picture 4.JPG
Picture 4.JPG (49.42 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
I've gone for four holes as that is how the original was mounted. I plan to fit four dummy bolt heads to the inside face and use CSK screws in the mounting holes, which can then be hidden with filler.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Finally, a quick comparison between the stock part on the left and the new part on the right.
Picture 5.JPG
Picture 5.JPG (52.58 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
I should probably have sprayed the stock part with primer as well, to give a better contrast to the piece, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Adrian

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Here's a couple of pictures showing the different types. These were installed on an M4A2 at Tankfest 2008.
Angular.jpg
Angular.jpg (98.92 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Rounded.jpg
Rounded.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Adrian

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I still haven't attempted the axle and pillow block but plan to attach the block from below using two 2mm cap head screws and attach the axle from above using 2mm CSK screws.

Adrian.

simon_manning
Been liked: 1627 times

Post by simon_manning »

nice bit of work adrian could easily be overlooked, i like these details, adds to the build quality. regards simon manning,

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Thanks Simon :D

When you get down to it , there are so many little tweaks that can be added.

I'm wondering about adding bearings to the rollers. Totally unnecessary as far as running is concerned but the real one had them so what the heck :lol: :lol:

Adrian.

simon_manning
Been liked: 1627 times

Post by simon_manning »

your right adrian where do you stop, but detail is infectious, and when you know some part should be there its a challenge to make the best of the build, regards simon.