batteries for my leopard 2A4

Forum for discussion relating to the Leopard 2a4
Martin Donnison
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 55 times

batteries for my leopard 2A4

Post by Martin Donnison »

Hi ladies and gentlemen,
Looking for recommendations for 12v batteries for my tank. Also recommendation for somewhere to purchase.

Thank you.

Tom Miller
Been liked: 325 times

Re: batteries for my leopard 2A4

Post by Tom Miller »

I use two 12V SLA 20amp duracel batteries. Got mine at batteries plus bulbs.
Tom

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productde ... ladc12=20c

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 209 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Lots of things to factor in.

How long do you want it to run? no need to put big batteries in if you only intend to use it as an Axminster tank. I see tanks go to shows and park all day and others that drive all day.

I was told never use 2 when 1 will do so a single 24v Lifepo4 is my preference. I use an ultramax 24v 36A in the Jagdtiger and its been amazing https://ultramax.co.uk/catalog/product/ ... egory/555/ but it maybe too big for the leopard. Also remember that a lifepo4 will give longer run time than the lead acids.

In my leopard I use a pack I built using 8 eve cells to make 24v 52AH as compact as I can, but mine is no carpet tank and never will be.
download/file.php?id=64152&mode=view
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.
Leopard “ The Bear” build with a difference. Big power for good reason.
222 scout car
See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

I echo Pauls response. One 24V. I use a 22Ahr in my Panther works great - only 1 battery to charge/maintain.
Bob

Andre Meylan
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Andre Meylan »

Hi there,

Has anybody tried a LiPo 6S accupack like the Tattu plus 6S1P 22'000mAh by GensAce? I'll try to upload a pic ... please forgive me as it's my first time on this forum ...

Best regards, Andre
Attachments
Tattu plus 6S1P 22000mAh.jpg

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Andre Meylan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:17 pm
Hi there,

Has anybody tried a LiPo 6S accupack like the Tattu plus 6S1P 22'000mAh by GensAce? I'll try to upload a pic ... please forgive me as it's my first time on this forum ...

Best regards, Andre
Have a read through this Knowledge Base article that Stephen wrote - it will provide you with some good insight:
Armotrk Forum - Knowledge Base - Batteries

Unless you are very confident in what you are doing I would not recommend LiPo at all.

As off this year our electronics are capable of running on fully charged 24V LiFePO4 batteries. That said, because of high regenerative current loads I recommend only charging to 90% - which will still give you a very long running time with LiFePO4.

If you have any other questions then post them here as I am sure this information is of use to the wider community.

Kian
Armortek

Andre Meylan
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Andre Meylan »

Dear Kian,

thank you very much indeed for the link to the knowledge base article - a very wise description of handling LiPo's.

I use LiPo's since 20 years in RC helicopters, jets, cars and race boats, up to 12S and with C rates beyond 65C (in boats). So far, I haven't BBQ'ed my fingers or a model. But I will carefully evaluate when building my Leopard.

Can't wait to get it by tomorrow afternoon !!!

Best regards, Andre (from Switzerland)