JT CO2 Recoil how I did it

Forum for discussion relating to the Jagdtiger
Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 150 times

JT CO2 Recoil how I did it

Post by Paul Sparkes »

I get a lot of requests for information on how I did the CO2 recoil on my Jagdtiger so instead of repeating myself on PM I have decided to post it up.
This is how I achieved my recoil, others have done similar. I hope this helps others.

I am currently working on another forum members JT recoil so an ideal opportunity to explain a few things clearly.

It uses simple pneumatics to retract the gun barrel and then release it slowly, The gun had been modified to have 85mm of recoil I use 80mm of this and then install a bump stop internally to save the bang at full extension. The JT can be modified up to 140mm of travel but this is too much for my battery location, so I am happy with 80mm and it works well without major modifications to the gun assembly.

So a CO2 canister is connected to a CO2 regulator and set to approx 45psi (Blue hose) this pressure is then sent in 2 directions 1st is the 5 way pneumatic solenoid valve and the other is into a second regulator which lowers the pressure further to around 15psi for the Gun smoke Vape. (Orange hose)

On energising the 5 way pneumatic solenoid valve (12v trigger) the co2 pressurises the cylinder on the gun and the barrel retracts, When the solenoid is not energised (power removed) the gun barrel returns to its out position but is slowed by the adjustable valve on the return side of the cylinder.

On top of all this I changed the elevation and slew to linear actuators for precise reliable movement the elevation is using a 50mm and the slew a 30mm pictures in my thread for those interested.
Triggering this is done on my JT using the Beier USM RC3 sound system which is easily programmed for such things. It should be achievable using the AT recoil module by using a relay system of just get one of my Gun smoke kits. (Not tested, but it should be workable)

All of the above principles can be applied to most recoil systems but has been aimed at the larger heavier guns.
IMG_2024-01-01-163917.jpeg
IMG_0515.jpeg
IMG_0516.jpeg
IMG_0517.jpeg
IMG_0518.jpeg
The videos are from before I did my heavy duty linear servos but show the gun recoil

More videos on my channel http://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic

Happy New year to all.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: JT CO2 Recoil how I did it

Post by Tim Carr »

Wow, What a Bang to bring in the New Year!

Looks nice and Thanks for sharing.

Later Tim

My Tiger #131 Build thread
viewtopic.php?t=9876
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Well done, indeed! Only the recoil length might be some langer. The Jagdtiger had a maximum recoil length of 90 cm (hot gun); because there was no muzzle brake. This would be up to 15 cm in 1/6 scale.
kind regards
Gerhard

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:27 pm
Well done, indeed! Only the recoil length might be some langer. The Jagdtiger had a maximum recoil length of 90 cm (hot gun); because there was no muzzle brake. This would be up to 15 cm in 1/6 scale.
Gerard, yes close to 14cm is achievable with major alterations to the gun. I would need to change the interior layout to accommodate this and I don’t intend to at this time. My workings will allow others to get scale recoil if they so wish.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Paul,

well, I'm some kind of 'recoil fetichist'. With my Bigtanks Jagdtiger I achieved the full recoil length by using a servo with a prolonged servo lever and a push rod. This was possible because my gun barrel is much lighter than Armortek's barrel. With a servo the moving speed can also be altered while moving; not only faster moving backwards and slower moving forward, but starting fast and reduce the speed underway. Well, I'm aware that this is somehow overstated.... :twisted:
kind regards
Gerhard

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

That is amazing!

Well done!

Cheers,

RPR

yves mouton