Chieftain No. 34

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
David Battson
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 232 times

Re: Chieftain No. 34

Post by David Battson »

Hi Charles,
Great work on the baskets, all those turret details are really coming together. I've just found a photo of an early Mk3 with no mesh basket inserts, so I'm very happy to knock them off the to do list. Currently trying to sort out an indoor painting area. Once I can get some colour on to Chieftain, I'll be able to post a bit more progress.
David

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 880 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Evening all.

Hopefully, bin catches and bollards for the Chieftain, please support this campaign, not wanting to sound desperate: lol:

May I proffer this week's (actually2weeks) hacking and bashing: Yes, it's rough, but we are getting there. I present the NBC pack: -
NBC 1.jpg
NBC 2.jpg
Still some filing to do & a catch to do too.

For info I used M2x10 cap heads, M1.6/BA (?) an option possibly & replaced the AT plate & bolts, but I haven't squared off the inside of inlets.

Bolted to the NBC door by threading the existing hole, M4 and filling.

How's the plate hung on?

Tap(M2) the angles & super glue. At least one of screws though the angle will hold the plate in place, I hope.

Cheers

Take care

Charles

PS Must remember it's a tank, rough is good :wink:
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

David Battson

Post by David Battson »

Hi Charles
More nice details coming together there. Didn't understand your 'plate' query , does the attached extract from the official 'User Manual ' help?
David
Attachments
20221003_125724.jpg

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

I think it was a rhetorical question David :D , either way it's very well done and looks very good 8)
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Charles A Stewart

Evening everybody.

I don't think there is enough Chieftain stuff going on, although I am guilty to a slight Panther bias presently.

It has been so wet up here; I had a daft idea and a lathe: -
Hesh 2.jpg
Another coat of varnish, a touch of wear & tear and bobs your whatsit. Though if anyone has one a good closeup of the drive band, that would be handy for the next round, (Boom Boom).

Chieftain 34 hasn't run for over a year, it still works :D. It is the all the smaller components and reasonable detailing that I want to concentrate on over the winter, so there will be snippets here and there, as and when :wink:

Take care all and have fun.

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Though if anyone has one a good closeup of the drive band, that would be handy for the next round, (Boom Boom).
Is this any help. Third photo down.

viewtopic.php?p=75088#p75088

Vince

Charles A Stewart

Hi Vince
Thanks for the link, most useful.

Cheers Charles

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

Explosive stuff Charles, you'll be back. :D
Panther/(Actually Centurion) best tank from world war2.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Charles A Stewart

Hi Folks.

After a fraught 48 hrs. (another story :roll:), a box of goodies arrived for No. 34: -
bollards.jpg
Once again, many thanks to those who put the effort in for a rerun of these parts.

Cheers Charles

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 269 times
Been liked: 324 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

Charles A Stewart wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:05 pm
Though if anyone has one a good closeup of the drive band, that would be handy for the next round, (Boom Boom).
Charles
High explosive rounds HESH ( High Explosive Squaush Head ) and the training round SHPrac did not have a drive band. The copper band was a sealing ring and would have imparted minimal spin to the round.
The kinetic rounds had drive bands so that the rifling in the barrel started them spinning giving them more stability in flight and making them more accurate.
Mark

Charles A Stewart

Thanks for the info, Mark, never too late to learn something new, as it is raining again tomorrow, I will rework my ordinance.

Vince (thank you) forwarded a link I had forgotten about from Phil's build, very useful too. I may even have a go at some of the other ammunition.

Cheers Charles

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1020 times
Been liked: 2090 times

Post by Stephen White »

High explosive rounds HESH ( High Explosive Squaush Head ) and the training round SHPrac did not have a drive band. The copper band was a sealing ring and would have imparted minimal spin to the round.
The kinetic rounds had drive bands so that the rifling in the barrel started them spinning giving them more stability in flight and making them more accurate.
This is incorrect. All natures of ammunition on Chieftain were spun. One of the reasons the Royal Armoured Corps favoured HESH from a rifled barrel, as opposed to smooth bore and HEAT, was the increased accuracy of a spun round and the dual nature of HESH (H/E and anti-armour).

The only difference between natures was that APDS and Fin had nylon driving bands and a rubberised sealing ring, whereas HESH and Smoke had copper driving bands. The reason APDS and Fin had nylon driving bands (and front centering bands) was to make them frangible to allow the three petals of the sabot to fly off down range.

See the diagrammes from Pam 33, the Armament manual, I posted earlier.

Charles A Stewart

Hi All.

Cold & damp, therefore in the house, warmer, beer & snacks handy. As I said previously, I will pass on snippets of progress, so here is the latest.

The tools have been lying around for over a year, at least. Time to have a go: -

First the toolbox, based on one I acquired in the 1980's (the replacements were metal) before they went for "disposal".
TB Big Bro laal bro.jpg
We then added Armopax tools,
TB 1.jpg
Any comments about "1943" dated adjustable spanners in the Chieftain tool kit, I will defend this, as I regularly use a 1954 WD spade (£21 years ago, bargain).

Last bit, the tool roll from Armopax will double as the GPMG cleaning tools.
TB 2.jpg
Take care and compliments of the season to all.

Cheers Charles

David Battson

Post by David Battson »

Hi Charles
The painting of those tools looks fantastic. I had to blow up the images to look for signs of photo shop trickery. The wood and metal effects are really very convincing.
David

Charles A Stewart

Thank you David I appreciate your comments as I do the acknowledgements.

Many thanks all

Charles