Zimmerit

Armortek owners can buy and sell 1/6 scale accessories and detail parts. note: Armortek does not necessarily endorse these products and can accept no liability for contractual disputes
Robert Tanzer
Has liked: 841 times
Been liked: 738 times

Zimmerit

Post by Robert Tanzer »

What are you all using when you are doing the Zimmerit on your Tanks?
Heard a lot about tile adhesive, but it is a bit tricky to apply on some standing surfaces.

What is your best tips and tricks and what to use as Zimmerit.

Please let me know, Please teach me.

Robert Tanzer

Gary Phillipson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Zimmerit

Post by Gary Phillipson »

Hi Robert,I use tile adhesive just take your time with it the effect is superb like the real thing.good luck. :D

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 751 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

I used to use Milliput - but its sometimes difficult to get to stick and also a major finger workout. I like Alves Epoxy putty - Its easier to kneed. But it may be expensive for a whole tank. I will experiment with some tile grout as well.
Bob

Allan Shannon
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Shannon »

Hi

I used tile adhesive, with the Zimmerit tools. Put a small area on at a time and remember its not mean to be perfect!
Wish I knew how to upload images so I could post them.

I practiced first on some small pieces of MDF.

Regards Allan

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1305 times
Been liked: 1523 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

To upload pictures:

There is an orange "Attachments" button under the editor.

Click on that and you get an orange button marked "Add files".

Click on that and you should get a window where you can select the file(s) you want to upload. There are some restrictions on file size.

Once the file has uploaded, click on the orange "Place inline" button and it will add a tag to your message at the cursor position.

I find that they look better if you add two blank lines above and below.

If you upload several pictures, they get listed in reverse order, so select from the bottom when you place inline.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Torben Vandborg
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Torben Vandborg »

Hi Robert
Jeg bruger acrylic overmalbar fugemasse. Billigt og kan fjernes igen.
Mange hilsner Torben

Tor Jacobsen
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Tor Jacobsen »

Hi all.
You mention "zimmerit tool". Where can I get it? I'm googling, but can only find it for 1/35. Please tell :D

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Field of Armor are the only people who currently sell a ready made tool, but the $25 tool will cost you $33 in shipping from the US :shock:

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Does anyone know the thickness and type of material Mike used for his Zimm tools ?

I've just looked into getting some laser cut from steel but there are restrictions on how sharp the teeth can be made without the laser causing burn back, and the thicker the material, the worse it is.

Adrian.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 749 times
Been liked: 1730 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I can't measure mine because I seem to have misplaced them but according to the instructions I downloaded at that time from the FOA website (no longer available) they are made out of 0.020" stainless steel.

Not sure laser cutting will be able to make the teeth sharp.

Vince

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Thanks Vince.

0.02" is 0.5mm in metric, so actually quite thin.

The laser guy said "The thicker the material the more power required to cut, and the more heat is generated, result of that is greater burn back on tips of fine points like that"

Adrian.

Jae-seung Roe
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Jae-seung Roe »

Hi guys!

I have read the thread and also had read some previous post about the zimmerit. Regarding the tool, I was wondering there is a some sort of 'template' for making zimmerit tool for making pattern? I have seen Mike Stannard's zimmerit tool from forum and seems a perfect zim coating tool but not available anymore.

David Battson
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 230 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi Adrian,
I made my zim tools out of .025" brass (0.63mm) . Very pleased with the results. If too thick, they will start to drag on the material and the finished profile will loose definition. Similarly any burs or defects on the teeth are likely to show up on the finished surface so they need to be sharp. This assumes of course that we are talking late Tiger style 'Z'' profile , if it's early Panther scratched block pattern, then any old screwdriver will do!
David

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 687 times
Been liked: 1584 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi

I made a set using 0.5mm brass with brass tube for the handles. They are quite rigid once the handle is soldered in place. I have also borrowed 3 sets of Zimmerit tools so I will be able to compare the results

Regards
Gary
Zimmerit tools from 0.5mm brass
Zimmerit tools from 0.5mm brass
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing.

Jae-seung Roe
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Jae-seung Roe »

Gary Richardson wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:30 pm
Hi

I made a set using 0.5mm brass with brass tube for the handles. They are quite rigid once the handle is soldered in place. I have also borrowed 3 sets of Zimmerit tools so I will be able to compare the results

Regards
Gary
Making a Zimmerit tool 4.jpg
Great hand made Zimmerit tool kit! Did you even make the pattern as well?