Vince's Tiger 1 late variant 2017

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Robert E Morey
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 751 times

Re: Vince's Tiger 1 late variant 2017

Post by Robert E Morey »

Vince
I too recommend resistance soldering. Micro-Mark has a relatively inexpensive unit:
https://www.micromark.com/Resistance-Soldering-Unit

But to do any real work with it you need the tweezer plier type tip:
https://www.micromark.com/Heavy-Duty-Soldering-Pliers

They used to sell the whole setup for less than $200 but I don't see it any more.

These machines are excellent where a torch is too much heat. It works great for heavier gage brass and steel.

I suppose you could make one, it is indeed just a big coil with screw lugs. You could possibly make a handset using graphite for the tips.

I like your mud flaps - I plan on making an attempt at using the kit parts as well. For the hold down its a spring loaded hook like is used on jeep hoods. One could possibly make them functional if you find a small enough coil spring. I thought about attempting one but haven't yet. Even David Byrdens site does not have much info on this hook - only the location of the base.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 753 times
Been liked: 1731 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Yes Bob that Micromark RSU is not that expensive but if I add the cost of a step down transformer (240V here), carriage and taxes the cost would double. I was pleasantly surprised in re-discovering the skill in using that old soldering iron. I found it quiet versatile after some practise. If anyone has got one, don't throw it away.

Regarding the mudguard hold downs, I guess it is going to be trying to copy one from photos. Due to the small size, I doubt I will be using a spring.

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I am redoing the front mudguard slidebars but had to stop work on them as I need to receive some 2mm wingnuts I have on order before I can continue.

So, to pass the time, I worked on the front plate boss (CE0641). For various reasons I had already decided to remake them from scratch and give them the through hole and the correct angled top face.
Tiger 281.JPG
Tiger 282.JPG
Tiger 283.JPG
Also today I received Mark's tapered stab antenna. Very well made and excellent packing. Thanks Mark. Just for fun I did a trial fit of the antenna (and Armorpax clamp) to Liam's rubber base and bolted to the hull roof.
Tiger 284.JPG
Tiger 285.JPG
Now I have to search for a particular post on the forum about the colour of the antenna. I can't remember if it should be black or the base colour of the tank. Can't remember where I saw it.

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

[marq=right]Cable colour coding[/marq]

I am putting this link here so that in the future it will be easier for me to find it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7225&p=62591#p62591

Vince

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey »

Vince Fender looks good. Can you share where you found 2mm wingnuts? Knupfer has blank wing nuts that can be tapped. I'm not sure if they'd ship to US or not.
Bob

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Yes Bob, those are the ones I am waiting for. I am hoping to receive them today. I have checked and I think they do deliver to the States. At least the USA is in their list of countries when one does the checkout.

Vince

Greg Stephens
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Greg Stephens »

I got the American Beauty. It was around $500. Expensive but worth it. I got all the accessories.
I still have a long way to go to catch up to Stephen's skill level.

One problem is I have to go to my dryer plug to use it. My garage circuit doesn't have the amperage.

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Finally found the answer to what colour should the antenna be.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2056

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Still waiting for the wingnuts! So I can't finish off the front mudguards. So last weekend I thought I would attempt (emphasis on the attempt) making the hold down latches of the front mudguards from scratch. As a reference I am using the drawing on page 35 of the modeller's guide book. There are no dimensions on this drawing so it was all guesswork. Today I finished them.
The two latches.
The two latches.
And a temporary fit, holding the lower part with a tool to see how it looks.
Tiger 287.JPG
The shaft has still to be shortened as I made it long on purpose. Now I need to decide if they are decent enough to add to the model.

Vince

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 688 times
Been liked: 296 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Nice work! :D
A little too much is about right...

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey »

I think they look great! Nice detail!
Bob

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Thanks Christoffer and Bob.

Vince

simon_manning
Been liked: 1617 times

Post by simon_manning »

the mudgaurd clamps look good vince, nice attempt, regards simon manning.

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Thanks Simon. I suspect that the lower part of the catch (the part that is fixed to the side of the hull) is too big. What I might do is to actually attach them to the hull and see if my eyes get accustomed to them. I can always remove them and blank the 2mm tapped hole that it needs to be fixed to the hull.

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Finally plucked up the courage to drill and hand tap (in situ) a 2mm hole to attach the mudguard catch to the hull. I managed to do it with the aid of a machine tapping guide and the best part was that I did not need to remove the sprocket.
Tiger 288.JPG
Tiger 289.JPG
Tiger 290.JPG
I will leave them fixed for now to see if they "look right". At the moment I have a feeling they look a bit "chunky".

Vince