New guy with a 2021 Tiger I late kit

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Paul D Wright
Location: Trapped behind enemy lines in the State of Washington.
Been liked: 3 times

New guy with a 2021 Tiger I late kit

Post by Paul D Wright »

Greetings fellow Tiger enthusiasts.

I’m a newb, and this is my first post. It took me awhile to get here and I am looking forward to getting this project going.

I have been going through the forums and I am very impressed by members here who know their stuff and really add that next level of detail to their model.

I understand that these kits need a few modifications and some work on the details. I would guess it’s all based on how far you want to take it.

I’m looking at aftermarket parts, and have a question. What are the must have parts upgrades I should consider? I have seen many different modifications presented in the forums, a lot of scratch building as well. I’m trying to get a plan laid out before I begin the build.

I’m open to any suggestions and advice.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 965 times
Been liked: 2066 times

Re: New guy with a 2021 Tiger I late kit

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Welcome, I wouldn’t say they ‘need’ anything. Adding details is genuinely up to you and your specific skill set. Depending on your location it can be helpful if you are connected to other builders for tips. The forum and internet can only take you so far.

Damon Resch
Has liked: 714 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Damon Resch »

Welcome! I would say Brian's advise is solid and spot on. If you decide to add more to your Tiger, I'd venture over to the Craftsman's Market place on the forum to see who's offering what at present. You could also post a wanted ad for some of the hard to find "Gucci" parts that are no longer in production but others have extra's of and might consider selling, Steve Winstone's lovely Tiger 1 brass headlight comes to mind. But there are other talented craftsmen offering a variety of ad on's and luckily the Tiger 1 is well represented in this regard. Enjoy your build and don't hesitate to ask questions, this is a great community of tank lovers here.

Chris Hall
Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Paul -

Welcome to the gang ! I’m not a Tiger man myself, but any Armortek tank is a fun investment 😁

I’m very much on the historical recreation side of things. If you’re looking to model a particular tank, and if sufficient photographs exist, that will dictate the additional / replacement parts you need from the excellent craftsmen who advertise on the forum.

But, if the history side doesn’t bother you too much, you’re probably better off just building it ‘out of the box’. Detail parts can be added or exchanged as you identify them.

But enjoy yourself ! That’s what it’s all about.

Best wishes,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 565 times

Post by John Fitzsimons »

Plenty of work to do before you need to think about after market components. Try getting some good reference material to help decide what you want to base your model on. Zimmerit is another important feature of the late tiger.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 752 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi Paul
I am also "behind enemy lines" in WA state. I will help if possible. Best regards, Bob

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1650 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Paul

The 2021 Late Tiger was also my first kit, it was a bit daunting at first having no experience with AFV's but turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. I put my build on the forum and included some of the rookie mistakes I made which may help you in your build. I started out thinking it would be a straightforward build out of the box, well, it soon morphed into doing a Funklenk Tiger with all the associated additions and mods.
viewtopic.php?t=8881
The most important thing is to have fun with the build. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing, 17 Pounder.

Paul D Wright
Location: Trapped behind enemy lines in the State of Washington.
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Paul D Wright »

Gary Richardson wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:16 am
Hi Paul

The 2021 Late Tiger was also my first kit, it was a bit daunting at first having no experience with AFV's but turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. I put my build on the forum and included some of the rookie mistakes I made which may help you in your build. I started out thinking it would be a straightforward build out of the box, well, it soon morphed into doing a Funklenk Tiger with all the associated additions and mods.
viewtopic.php?t=8881
The most important thing is to have fun with the build. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards
Gary
I will definitely check out your build post. Thank you.