Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Gary Richardson
Has liked: 713 times
Been liked: 1641 times

Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Post by Gary Richardson »

Well I finally bit the bullet after 4 years of following this forum and admiring the workmanship and skill shown by various builders. I received my 2021 Tiger 1 no. 13 a couple of weeks ago. I must thank the following people for their advice and assistance while I decided whether to go for the Tiger or wait and see what next year brings. Simon, David, Adrian and Alistair who I talked to at various shows this year and Dave Dibbs and Mark Lawson for advice on extra detailing parts, some of which I purchased at Tankfest and I am looking forward to adding more as the build progresses.
It was a hectic couple of months after ordering the tank as I decided to completely revamp my garage/workshop which previously housed a large fleet of rc aircraft. I added insulation and plaster boarded the ceiling, installed new lighting and strengthened to work benches with 4x2 . After 40 years of building and flying model aircraft I also decided to thin the fleet down from 18 aircraft to 8 and go all electric. The funds from the sale of the aircraft will be ploughed back into the Tiger, I bought a 200kg platform lift and motorcycle scissor jack and a whole host of engineering hand tools prior to the Tiger arriving and am desperately trying to remember all the metal work techniques I learnt at school, way, way back.
There are a couple of useful links I would like to share :
www.eileensemporium.com Good for modelling supplies such as brass strip, miniature rivets etc.
https://modelfixings.co.uk/ All types and sizes of fastenings ,taps ,drills etc

I have done the first trial fit of the hull and disassembled it to prepare and degrease the suspension bars ready to install the bushes, you don't realise how big the tiger is until you get it on a bench , seriously impressive and heavy, glad I got the platform lift with the 1000 x 500 table. I have decided to do the hull build during the day and detailing at night. I acquired some 5mm x 0.5mm brass strip and 1mm domed rivets to enhance the jack block as a start and will modify the excellent Armorpax tools with wooden handles.
Finally a big thankyou to Kian and Monique for an excellent product and allowing me to attend the open day at very short notice. :D
Tiger Jack block.JPG
Workshop.JPG
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Re: Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi Gary

Congratulations on getting your Tiger 1. Looking forward to see your progress. Love to see how people do things.
you don't realise how big the tiger is until you get it on a bench , seriously impressive and heavy, glad I got the platform lift with the 1000 x 500 table.
That was also my first impression which took me by surprise.

Vince

Gary Richardson

Thanks Vince
I have spent a lot of time researching and looking at other peoples builds including your 2017 Late Tiger, I enjoyed seeing some of the modifications you made during the build. I have only recently developed an interest in armour, although I used to see 1/6 scale tanks at a lot of the model air shows I went to. It has been quite a steep learning curve helped by making some 1/35 Tamiya models so I could learn how they went together.
I am at that point where I need to decide of the level of detail I would like to achieve and the tanks Battalion etc. I like the idea of either a Tiger from Panzer-Abtielung (Funklenk) 301 or Schwere Panzer-Abtielung 510 as both received a deliver of Tiger 1s that tie up with the June 44 date the model is based on.
I must admit I like the idea of the Funklenk as I am intrigued by the Tiger using the Borgward IV and you never know, a working model of one may just be possible to go with my Tiger. Unfortunately ambition outweighs my meagre engineering skills at the moment but we all need something to strive towards.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Triple span Bailey Bridge, M26 Pershing.

David Battson
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 232 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi Gary,
I hope your enjoyment of the build lives up to the 4yrs of anticipation, research and preparation. Their ever increasing size and weight of the models as the build comes together can be daunting at first, but ultimately it's what makes Armortek kits so good to display and run.
Have you made a final decision on the unit yet, it would be good to see another from Abteilung 301 (funklenk). :wink:
I look forward to seeing the build.
David

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 187 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

Good luck with your build,like you i have a Tiger 1 from the 2021 batch,and have been busy testing how it all fits together and etch priming the panels
i am currently trying to figure out the torsion bar set up,as i see this as a key area to getting the tank to run correctly
if i can figure out how to post pictures ill keep everyone updated

Donald

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 690 times
Been liked: 298 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

In the section followingr the "submit" button, there is an "attachments" tab. Once you find that, the rest is pretty self explanatory.
A little too much is about right...

Klaus Uschkurat
Has liked: 2294 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Klaus Uschkurat »

:D :D :D

Gary Richardson

Its good to hear from fellow 2021 Tiger builders and those with earlier builds that I seen and admired on this forum.
It was seeing David's Tiger at the Warag show that finally made my mind up to get a Tiger 1, it also got me thinking about the association between the Tigers and the demolition Borgward IVs . I managed to source a book German Remote Control Tank Units 1943-1945 by Markus Jaugitz plus Tigers in Combat 1 & 2, Germanys Tiger Tanks and being delivered from the States today will be a new copy of Tigers on the Western Front.
So, in answer to your question David, yes I think the Tiger will be from sPz Abt (Funklenk) 301. Still accumulating photos and info while the hull build gets going.
Incidentally a 1/6 scale Borgward IV (a & b variant) would be 558mm long, 300mm wide and 208mm high if my calculation are correct, just food for thought.

Gary

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

It's been good to chat to you at shows - sorry if we've been the ones to inflict this damage on your wallet :-)

Hopefully you'll be able to join us once the Tiger is mobile.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Gary Richardson

Hi Adrian

It was really good meeting you all and being able to get up close to the tanks. The advice and info you and the others gave to me was invaluable and really helped me decide to get the Tiger. No doubt I will have many more questions as the build progresses.
I have started deburring all the resilient wheels and the hubs etc so hopefully can give them a coat of Upol 8 acid etch , so glad I bought a decent set of deburring tools as they have really helped especially with the screw in hubs.

Gary

Gary Richardson

Made some progress deburring the resilient wheels, hubs etc. Then took a break but ended up doing some more to the jack block, this detailing gets addictive. Hope I am om the right lines with the detail as I have only seen vague photos of the block and its fittings.
Lots of deburring completed on one set.
Lots of deburring completed on one set.
deburred the hub threads and they do up nicely now.
deburred the hub threads and they do up nicely now.
Jack block b.JPG
Jack block c.JPG
Attachments
will be using 1mm rivets for straps and handles
will be using 1mm rivets for straps and handles
still need to clean up the corner mounts
still need to clean up the corner mounts

Gary Richardson

I have a question regarding the roadwheels on the 2021 late Tiger, the rims on either side of the wheels are different thicknesses , approx 1.2mm and 2.45mm. It is quite a pronounced difference so I am wondering which side is the outer face of the wheel , the one you normally see when looking at the side of the tank.
The instruction diagrams shows the rim to be equal on both sides.
roadwheel 2.JPG

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1341 times
Been liked: 1538 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

If it's not called out in the manual then I would say that's just a manufacturing tolerance and use which ever you think looks closest.

My manual for the SturmTiger included the instructions for building the 2012 Late Tiger lower hull and states that all the wheels are identical and can be used either way round. But that information is now nearly 10 years old.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

David Battson
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 232 times

Post by David Battson »

Hi Gary,
Great choice of a Tiger from the 301. The three Jerry can holders on the turret bin and turret RC antenna mounting makes for a very distinctive look. Maybe one day when you've finished the Tiger we can pool resources to build a brace of Borgwards ?
Nice start to detailing the jack block, but a note of caution, there's wasn't much clearance to the turret mantlet on my Tiger with the main gun depressed. So try not to make it too tall with the extra details.
Regarding the wheels, if they all have the same part number, then they are all supposed to be the same part. As Adrian suggests, possibly a manufacture tolerance issue, but at 0.25mm, doesn't sound like too much to worry about.
David

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1732 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I think I would prefer the one on the left.

Have a look here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6937&start=90
Half way down the page are some photos of real all steel wheels.

Vince