Engine deck grates

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Dave Goodwin
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 112 times

Engine deck grates

Post by Dave Goodwin »

Looking at various photos, both on the web and here in the forum, it appears that the smaller engine deck grates have variable patterns. Were there a couple different patterns for those grates during the production cycle?

I see some grates, the smaller ones are the ones I'm talking about, that seem to have a pattern of smaller cutouts on the edges than the plates that came with the 2023 kit. My grates look like this:
IMG_1643.jpg
Note how all the oblong holes are pretty much the same size.

The other form I have seen has smaller oblong holes at the left and right edges. Here's a screen capture from a video that was posted to YouTube by a builder here:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (452.37 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Note the small holes at the edges of the grate. I've been unable to find a good, clear overhead shot of the real grates on an early Tiger, so I'm wondering which is correct.

Are the grates included with the 2023 kit in the right pattern?

Thanks!

John Fitzsimons
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 365 times

Re: Engine deck grates

Post by John Fitzsimons »

The grills changed a bit over time.

Here is the progression according to The Modeler’s Guide to the Tiger Tank. (Try finding a copy on eBay. Good basic book for working on the Tiger.)

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

A: The initial engine deck grates were designed as mirror images of each other with a slight variation on the left hand grate.

B: In January 1943, the right hand grate was slightly altered as shown.

C: To simplify production, as of April 1943, the grate casting on the right was reworked to match the one on the left.

And from Achtung Panzer No 6.(Tiger

IMG_3438.jpeg
IMG_3439.jpeg
IMG_3436.jpeg
Worth investing in a few good books to help with research.

Marco Peter
Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 585 times

Post by Marco Peter »

John Fitzsimons wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:41 am
Here is the progression according to The Modeler’s Guide to the Tiger Tank. (Try finding a copy on eBay. Good basic book for working on the Tiger.)
I have been trying to find one for ages! If someone can offer me one I would love that!
'Konan', my Tiger 1 Mid
'Gunther', my Panther G

John Fitzsimons

[/quote]
I have been trying to find one for ages! If someone can offer me one I would love that!
[/quote]

I see some crazy prices online. Achtung Panzer even harder to find.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Casting those grates is more difficult than it looks. I've done them in a smaller scale. In aluminium it's next to impossible as a simple gravity pour at least not without a ginormous gating and vent network; a little better in bronze and I'd imagine slightly better in grey iron. The interrupted bars of the original, if one wants to replicate that makes it even worse from a metal flow perspective. Then there's the logistics of pulling a pattern (or match plate) from the sand, if you're an old fashioned traditionalist like me. Investment casting would be the best way to go but costly. They can be done I'd imagine with a CNC or 3D print process but the look and feel of a casting isn't there. Those small holes on the ends make it worse.

I'd say that 2023 part looks pretty good to me. Not having a kit I can't check but from what you've shown it looks like a grey (cast) iron part; pretty cool
I'd say. Hadn't known the Armortek elves had done that. Kudos.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Dave Goodwin
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Dave Goodwin »

Yes, definitely cast and I do like the look of them. I was just curious about the patterns, as I couldn't find any easy reference material online. Not a lot of overhead photos of the engine decks. The few things I could find showed that pattern with the smaller cutouts on the end. I was looking this up so I could determine where I needed to cut these grates to create those interrupted bars.

I'd love to have a copy of that Modeling book, but not at the current asking prices :-)

Thanks for the feedback, as always!

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Tim Carr »

As far as books go. Another one that you should get, has lots of Tiger pics. A lot are of the Tiger 131, an early Tiger.

NOTE I do NOT know this person/store on ebay and have not bought from him/them that I can remember. So, review etc. At that price I'm thinking about buying another to have a work copy. 12/08/2023 price $16.07 shipped in USA.

It's the "Tiger Tank (Owners Workshop Manual) New Ed by Michael Hayton Book" Haynes

Again, my thoughts. I also have the above Tiger Tank book and about 6 other books on the Tiger 1 and the DVD on the Saumur Tiger 1 and King Tiger.
Missing the Japanese book. Can't own them all, yet.

Enjoy the Build, Later Tim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383294359601?c ... fa9ebbcc59
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

John Fitzsimons

I can recomend the Haynes book on Tiger 131. Focus is on 131 so great for early Tiger builders. I might do some book reviews on my channel. I have a decent collection.