MRS 3D model

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1702 times

MRS 3D model

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi

So as not to clog up Steve's Chieftain Rebuild topic, I am starting a new topic on this 3D model.

Charles posted some nice photos of this particular part (viewtopic.php?p=97551#p97551) and as I was in the mood of drawing it up I slowly started the process.

After roughly drawing the main body I decided to print it with an FDM printer so that I can put it next to my already printed gunner's sight (viewtopic.php?p=97612#p97612). Not impressed with the actual prints but it's better than nothing.

This is my progress so far:
MRS v19.jpg

One question I would like to ask. Can somebody suggest a casting number for the MRS body?

Vince
Last edited by Vince Cutajar on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Re: MRS 3D model

Post by John Clarke »

I think it's wonderful Vince, quite beyond my scope, I don't know the first thing about 3d modeling, but I may know someone who could help.
Are the file sent via email? and what would be the cost?
It's very kind of you to spend time and energy constructing the sculptures for our models. 8)
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

MRS v19.jpg
If I recall correctly, the two screws arrowed would not be so clagged up with paint as you see now on museum tanks. I believe they were the 2 adjustment screws to move the MRS light source horizontally and in elevation, normally the job of the Instrument Technician in the Sqn Fitter Section and very rarely was any adjustment required. Adjustment was only usually required after a barrel change or if the MRS mirror at the end of the barrel had to be replaced, or if something had happened in the turret to move either of the elevation MRS alignment markers.

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Yes John, the files will be sent by email in either .stl or .3mf format and there is no charge. The only thing I ask is that the files be for one's personal use only and not for profit.

So what's the plan so far. The model should be printed with a liquid resin 3D printer but as I don't have one myself I cannot test the print so there is no guarantee that it will print OK. It can be printed with a filament 3D printer and that works because I did that. The finish of the details leaves a lot to be desired. Alternatively, for those that do not like plastic parts on a metal tank, a filament printed model can be used as a master to take all the required dimensions from it and manually carve out a metal part.

So at the moment the plan is to make two sets of files. One will be a fully assembled model that can be used in a liquid resin printer and the other set will be for a disassembled model where one prints various parts individually and then glue them together. This set can also be used with a liquid resin printer. The idea of a disassembled model is so that it can easily be printed on a filament printer and thus avoiding the use of supports in the print.

Vince

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

That's so very kind Vincent, I will do as you say. 8)
Will you need my email address or is there another way to pick up the files. And will the files for the Gunners sight be available too.

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Yes John, I will need the email address but not just now.

Regarding the other matter I have sent you a PM.

Vince

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Thank you :D

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Not much done today.
Just changed my original imaginary casting number on the top face of the MRS to another imaginary casting number.

Vince

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

A few pictures, hope they help. :wink:
mrs13.jpg
mrs13.jpg (141.57 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
mrs9.jpg
mrs9.jpg (261.17 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
mrs8.jpg
mrs8.jpg (143.84 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
mrs7.jpg
mrs6.jpg
mrs6.jpg (158.63 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
mrs4.jpg
mrs4.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
mrs12.jpg
mrs11.jpg

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Those photos are great. Just what I needed.

Vince

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

This morning I added some details to the back face of the MRS. I also made the top cover in this area thicker.
As per John's suggestion I changed again the casting number.
MRS v24.jpg

Vince
Last edited by Vince Cutajar on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

mrs6.jpg
mrs6.jpg (158.63 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Which museum was this taken at and got it completely wrong ?
The MG ammunition was disintegrating link and the weapon seperated the rounds from the links during its firing cycle.
So underneath the wapon would be a pile of seperate spent rounds and links, and going into the weapon would be a belt of links and unfired rounds ( ie with bullets still on them and not just empty cases ).
Some bullets would have red tips identifying them as tracer rounds.
I only fixed the tanks and did not crew them, but my brother John or Stephen White, who both did, will be able to clarify what ratio the tanks were usually issued with and whether it should be every 5th round or a different number.
One caveat here, I do not know if it was general practice but in one squadron I directly supported, they would remove a number of the tracer rounds from the start of the belt and group them together towards the end of it. This would give a visual indication whilst firing that the belt was nearing its end.

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Made another test print with my FDM printer to test if it was feasible to glue parts together. I guess it worked. I also wanted to check if parts which slightly project from vertical surfaces would print OK without supports. Worked also.
20231202_153143.jpg
Vince

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Looks great Vince, Just like magic it appears from no where before are very eyes..
8)

Mark, Museums are all we have, you can't have spent cartridges and links rolling round the floor, think of the slipping hazard, the insurance risk.
It's all theater, thank goodness.
(Those that know, know).

Mark Heaps

Post by Mark Heaps »

John, my viewpoint is that museums should teach history accurately and not distort it or present something completely wrong.
I also did not want a fellow builder here who is not in the know to build his Chieftain commander´s MG as shown in the photo. It would have left that person open to ridicule from those in the know and reflected badly on Armortek when that person rightfully claimed that that was how it was shown on a photo on the Armortek web-site.