Front Deck Assy & Turret

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
John Studebaker
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Front Deck Assy & Turret

Post by John Studebaker »

Is there some valid reason why there are only 3 M4x60 hex bolts with spacers and wing nuts? There are at least 4 through-holes on the underside of the turret that line up with the 3 bolts in the lazy susan. It would seem that 4 connections between the lazy susan and the turret would make the whole assembly more stable and secure. What am I missing?

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 253 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Front Deck Assy & Turret

Post by Steve Stuart »

A tripod is more stable than four legs?

Nick Chiocchio
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

I found lining up the three holes to place the turret on difficult because of the weight of the turret. If there were four I think it would be a lot harder. I've done it seven or eight times so far and when it was just the casting it was easy. Now with all the parts on (I remove the canon) you have to be careful how/where you grab it and align the three holes with the screws which may be hard to see depending upon your angle of view (is it up on a lift or down on the ground).
Nick C.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3334 times

Post by Armortek »

There is no need for 4 fixings - the turret will not be going anywhere with 3. In addition, as Nick pointed out, trying to align 4 bolts is harder than 3.
Armortek

Steve McEvoy
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Steve McEvoy »

l found when l did mine if you mark the single one it make lining up the turret easy, and l think if there were four then when you fit the mechanisms for recoil/barrel lift etc you would have a job to access the fourth one if you wanted to remove the turret for any reason. My churcill has 3 holding bolts and is really stable.

Aaron Taylor
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Yes that completed turret definitely won't go anywhere three bolts are more than acceptable.

John Studebaker
Been liked: 7 times

Post by John Studebaker »

Ok. I guess 3 is better than 4 or sufficient. With all the parts on the turret, it will be difficult at best to align the 3 bolts into the turret holes. I've watched Tony's video a number of times, and the turret magically appears on the tank. I'm guessing he has a helper or two. Thanks everyone (and Armortek) for your feedback.