Brushless drive motor and new gearbox update

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 149 times

Brushless drive motor and new gearbox update

Post by Paul Sparkes »

I’v been looking for an alternative drive solution for some time now, various failures and damage steered me in different directions.
The AT gearboxes didn't work for me but many happy owners can't be wrong.

Working with another fellow member on here, who I won’t name but he is welcome to add his input if he feels like it.
We have been idea bashing and looking at different solutions to gearboxes that are robust and cost effective, on top of this we have also been working on a brushless motor idea.
Well it’s now at a stage where we are happy with the results.
First comes the gearbox a cheap industrial worm type gearbox that’s readily available, an adaptor was designed and made, this was then improved upon with the addition of a bearing close to the AT spur gear to support it
IMG_0499.jpeg
IMG_0500.jpeg
Motors wise I think the AT motors can have an adaptor to be used on this type of gearbox, our first brushed motor for testing the gearbox was a 350w DC its what we ran at Tankfest and other events.
IMG_2023-08-15-195251.jpeg
This soon got changed to the out runner brushless motors we are now using.

So advantages so far:
Smaller compact design
Cheap industrial gearboxes that have different ratios available 7.5/10/15/20:1 meaning that different speed can easily be achieved.
Brushless motor size is smaller making more space for battery's etc.
Motors can be tuned to perfection and the controllers have an App
slow speed control of the motor is far superior
Torque at slow speed is very good. Reilly was embarrassed by trying to hold the tank back even at 5% throttle.

Disadvantages so far:
Cost to develop the idea
The gearbox I am using needs bolting in from the outside meaning the taper lock needs to be removed to gain access, hopefully not too many times. The next design may overcome that.
A change of electronics would be needed for brushless and larger power cables to the ESC recommended.

Would I do it again?
Yes, its the only option I would now choose. its not for the faint of heart and I nearly gave up at some points.

Did the tank get modified?
No alterations were made to the AT model in any way, this is a true bolt in option, didn't even drill any holes.

Big question how much did it cost?
Not any more than the other option
Last edited by Paul Sparkes on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: Brushless drive motor and new gearbox update

Post by Phil Woollard »

Nice work guys, that brushless motor is very compact indeed! I've used other motor and gearbox options very often found on eBay without any problems at all, I've even used different size motors ( on the same vehicle ) with as close to the original gearboxes ratios as I could get and again no problem what so ever, I do tend to use 2 stick control as this lets your thumb unconsciously even out any small drive differences, whether that be mud, a stone, motor irregularity ect giving a smooth fully adjustable driving experience.
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Markus Beer
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Markus Beer »

Hello Paul

Can you tell us what components (controller/motor/gearbox) you installed and where you sourced them?
Best thanks for your efforts

Best regards

Markus

Paul Sparkes
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 149 times

Post by Paul Sparkes »

Marcus,

I wish it was that easy.
All the mounts and shafts are custom made.
The motors have custom shafts to fit the gearboxes
The gearboxes are available on eBay,aliexpress and most bearing suppliers, but will need some alterations for our application.

This fits the KT and JT, also the Tigers but not sure which other tanks.

Then you have what speed do you require.
Esc can be hobby grade or expensive.
See what I mean 😪
Jagdtiger 2020 number 40. With Gun Smoke, CO2 recoil and Driving on custom Brushless motors.

See my YouTube for video's https://www.youtube.com/@TheMinimivic/featured

Markus Beer
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Markus Beer »

good morning Paul

thank you very much for the quick reply.
I will follow your progress with interest and will certainly get back to you.

best regards

Markus