Methods to weather tow cables?

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
Mark Allen
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 70 times

Methods to weather tow cables?

Post by Mark Allen »

Hello group. Im looking for ideas on how to weather, or age the look of the tow cables. Would rather not paint them though.

Chemically?
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 282 times

Re: Methods to weather tow cables?

Post by Mark Heaps »

What is it that you are trying to achieve and on what model ? Is it supposed to depict a tank in use or an 70 year old museum piece ?
I crewed a Chieftain ARV ( Armoured Recovery Vehicle ) and also a Chieftain ARRV ( Armoured Repair & Recovery Vehicle ), the difference between the two variants was the ARRV also had a jib / crane for doing packlifts. Both just before they were superceded, the ARV being replaced with an ARRV, and then the ChARRV (Chieftain ARRV ) by a CRARRV ( Challenger ARRV ).
Tow cables on both vehicles although many years old ( most likely issued with the vehicle ) were not rusty, just dull from oxidisation, and dirty from what muck was thrown up from the tracks , or the mud we dragged them through when having to use them, during each exercise before the post-ex wash-down.
If yours is to be a running model, I would suggest a matt varnish to take the shine off and let your running terrain deal with the rest. Proper "weathering".

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2026 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Mark. I am doing a late production King Tiger. Not looking for a very old look as none of them lasted that long. But want to tone down the bright steel look. Something like cable that has been out a while and gets grayish white.

Brian. I used their product for darkening the tracks, very pleased with the result. And the steel versions are way cheaper than the aluminum one!
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Mark

For my late Tiger I used a blow torch on the cables which removed all the shine and 'aged' them. I did then add some dirt and light rust dragged on with a cloth. I believe other have used the blow torch method as well.

Regards
Gary
Small tow cable added.jpg
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Ed Groenenberg
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 608 times

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

I used gun blue (from Ballistol) on the steel ropes.
It initially was bluish (as expected), but after 2 days, they were brown and slightly rusty.
You only live once., use it to the max!

William Gardeniers
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by William Gardeniers »

Hello

I use normal vinegar 60 euro cent a Liter, put them 2 weeks In a bucket and 1 day in the rain.
20230709_111828.jpg
20230709_111807.jpg
With Regards William

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Thank you gents for all the suggesstions. Really like the vinegar method. Of course I might have to wait 6 months for the next rainy day...