Another Panther 🐆

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 642 times

Another Panther 🐆

Post by Steve Norris »

Here we go again,
This is the start of an early Panther G build that a very trusting Chris Hall has asked me to build for him.
The plan is to build a Panther that was captured in Italy and named “Deserter” by its new owners.
I am sure Chris will fill in all the details of this tanks history and new owners at some point in the future.
Deserter was an early Panther G so much of what is supplied in the kit will be applicable, but a few changes will be made along the way to better model this particular tank.

I have decided to start with the hull lower sides
First step has been to mark out for the torsion bar covers. It’s  easier to do this before the hull is assembled
First step has been to mark out for the torsion bar covers. It’s easier to do this before the hull is assembled
One of the covers just placed in position, these will be fixed in position after the hull is assembled. It’s worth noting that not all covers face in the same direction.
One of the covers just placed in position, these will be fixed in position after the hull is assembled. It’s worth noting that not all covers face in the same direction.
Regards
Steve

Malcolm.Plumb
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 610 times

Re: Another Panther 🐆

Post by Malcolm.Plumb »

Hi Steve

Also had the same idea along with Ed with the cover plates - just finished mine yesterday.
I like how they look.

As you say they are not all fitted in the same direction but you will find that two can not be orientated as they should.
One due to the fowling on the front gear case and the other to one of the main bump stops.

Not really a problem though.
2022 Panther G #15

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Steve Norris wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:17 pm
This is the start of an early Panther G build that a very trusting Chris Hall has asked me to build for him.
The plan is to build a Panther that was captured in Italy and named “Deserter” by its new owners.
I am sure Chris will fill in all the details of this tanks history and new owners at some point in the future.
Regards
Steve
Not trusting at all - I've seen Steve's work, and I know he'll do a much better job than I would :-D. So my role on this one is Historical Adviser, although I'm also leaning heavily on Mark Lawson's encylopedic knowledge of German armour. As I've always said, it's not what you know, but who you know - and what they know :wink:.

The first thing to declare is a change of plan. I was intending to run Cuckoo of 4th Coldstream Guards in North West Europe 1944-45. But, for reasons I'll eventually comment on elsewhere, I felt the need to do something related to the Italian theatre in 1944, which is currently unpresented in our historical lineups at shows. Deserter fits that niche perfectly. So a quick discussion with Alex Easten and we agreed to 'swap' (well, he always wanted to do Cuckoo anyway !).

I'll put up more research about Deserter as I uncover it. In the mean time, I return you to the engineering side, which is in Steve's more than capable hands.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris »

A little update on Chris,s Panther.
I have primed and loosely assembled the hull to do an initial fit check. Everything went together without any trouble and this is a sign of Armortek’s continued product improvement process. There are still a couple of items that need addressing before i do a final bolt together but these items are fairly minor (some of the interlocks need the corners squaring up and the plate joints need chamfering to accept the weld seams).
Just tacked together for the moment
Just tacked together for the moment
I am also waiting for some parts for the rear plate which will be easier to fit with the plate removed, another reason to leave things loose at the moment.
While I wait for the rear plate parts I have decided to have a go at the wheels. These new pressed steel wheels are very nice but do have a major visual problem. The rim of the wheel protrudes well beyond the edge of the tire which is wrong. This is only really an issue on the outer 8 wheel assemblies as they are the ones most visible.
The fix for this is quite easy if a little messy (no lathe work required)
I have assembled each wheel so that it can be held in a vice with a tire fitted and the used a power file to carefully remove the excess material, any marks on the tire can be hidden by reversing it at final assembly.
Before and after
Before and after
The wheel set up in the vice with the trusty power file about to do its work
The wheel set up in the vice with the trusty power file about to do its work
Regards

Steve

Jae-seung Roe
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Jae-seung Roe »

Steve Norris wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:59 am
A little update on Chris,s Panther.
I have primed and loosely assembled the hull to do an initial fit check. Everything went together without any trouble and this is a sign of Armortek’s continued product improvement process. There are still a couple of items that need addressing before i do a final bolt together but these items are fairly minor (some of the interlocks need the corners squaring up and the plate joints need chamfering to accept the weld seams).

IMG_0948.jpeg

I am also waiting for some parts for the rear plate which will be easier to fit with the plate removed, another reason to leave things loose at the moment.
While I wait for the rear plate parts I have decided to have a go at the wheels. These new pressed steel wheels are very nice but do have a major visual problem. The rim of the wheel protrudes well beyond the edge of the tire which is wrong. This is only really an issue on the outer 8 wheel assemblies as they are the ones most visible.
The fix for this is quite easy if a little messy (no lathe work required)
I have assembled each wheel so that it can be held in a vice with a tire fitted and the used a power file to carefully remove the excess material, any marks on the tire can be hidden by reversing it at final assembly.

IMG_0946.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

Regards

Steve
Hi Steve,

Good to see another Panther building post and good advice of resolving protruded metal rim part! nice! it may seem to require careful and a bit of skillful control of filing to prevent too much filing of excessive rim part. looking forward to another building post!

Cheers,
Jae-seung

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris »

Two weeks in and I still haven’t completed the wheels, when done I don’t want to see another Panther wheel for a very long time
More m2.5 nuts and bolts than I care to count !
More m2.5 nuts and bolts than I care to count !
Regards

Steve

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Steve Norris wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 2:00 pm
Two weeks in and I still haven’t completed the wheels, when done I don’t want to see another Panther wheel for a very long time

Regards

Steve
With you on that one :D

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Steve Norris

Post by Steve Norris »

A few more Panther update pictures.
I am not going overboard with the posts as the Panther is already well covered, I will just add where there has been changes to the standard kit.
The back end has been enhanced with the addition of Werkstatt 5 access covers and jack. I have also fitted exhaust heat shields.
The back end has been enhanced with the addition of Werkstatt 5 access covers and jack. I have also fitted exhaust heat shields.
Various parts awaiting final assembly
Various parts awaiting final assembly
More parts to add
More parts to add
Regards

Steve