Attaching the sprocket

Forum for discussion relating to the M26 Pershing
Nick Chiocchio
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 30 times

Attaching the sprocket

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

So I was assembling the sprocket tonight and at the point where you slide it on the shaft and tighten the taper bushing. I read that it should be 21mm from the chassis gearcase. I tried really hard to measure, not move the sprocket as I tightened the grub screws on the tapered bushing, but it always moved. So I took a Delrin rod, cut it as close to 21mm as I could, then used it as a brace against the gear case and back of the sprocket to hold it in place while I tightened the tapered busing grub screws. Worked like a charm!
Attachments
IMG_6122.JPG
IMG_6122.JPG (110.51 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Nick C.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Re: Attaching the sprocket

Post by Armortek »

A good solution.
Just keep in mind that the 21mm is a guide. The most important thing is that the sprocket, roadwheels and idler are in line.
Armortek

Nick Chiocchio

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

Yes thanks.

I figured this would get it close, then when the tracks are installed to loosen the taper bushing thus loosening the sprocket. Then align the sprocket with the suspension, the tracks should hold the sprocket in place when tightening the bushing again. Well so I hope!
Nick C.

Brian Womersley
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Brian Womersley »

👍 excellent tip and great photo…thanks Nick……I have just reached stage 14 and got my bits together to assemble the drive sprocket 🤞👍

Ray Massa
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Ray Massa »

Nick,

Can you tell me if your sprockets sit proud of the hub that they are mounted on? See my pic attached. As a result, the tracks sit on the extreme outside edge of the sprocket teeth with very little play. Just want to be sure before I assemble any of them. I have them pre-painted so I thought maybe there was paint build-up not allowing them to sit fully flush on the hub.

-Ray
IMG_8630.jpg
IMG_8629.jpg

Nick Chiocchio

Post by Nick Chiocchio »

Hi Ray,

I've got about a little over 1mm of play where I can jiggle the track on the sprocket.
Attachments
IMG_6150.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG (80.62 KiB) Viewed 976 times
IMG_6149.JPG
IMG_6149.JPG (83.84 KiB) Viewed 976 times
IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG (67.42 KiB) Viewed 976 times
IMG_6147.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG (62.42 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Nick C.

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Thanks Nick. That sounds close to what I have. Since I pre-primed and painted the sprocket and hub, I thought maybe I was losing a dimension that needed to be held. I actually had to remove the final color from the edges of the hub and the inside of the ring so it would seat. Very close tolerances on those parts!

Thanks again.

-Ray

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi all,

I would think that this is negligible. After a short time of driving the drivetrain will be run in and color (and material!) will be rubbed off. My Jagdpanther is a significant example for this process since using a steel track link which didn't fit exactly..... :roll:

kind regards
Gerhard

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Gerhard,

Nice to see some authentic weathering!

-Ray

Ray Massa

Post by Ray Massa »

Armortek wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:36 pm
A good solution.
Just keep in mind that the 21mm is a guide. The most important thing is that the sprocket, roadwheels and idler are in line.
Does the position of the taper bushing when locked in position prevent the face of the gear from rubbing against the inside of the drive case (where the four countersunk screws are)? Is the 21mm setting roughly a position that prevents this? Since the gear will be fully encased in the drive case when assembling the taper bushing, you won't be able to tell if it rubs.

-Ray