Storage solutions

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Storage solutions

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I searched the forum and nothing readily came to hand so here's asking: Storing multiple large models - what's your solution?

We all know Armortek models are like good cookies- you can't just have one. I've gathered quite a few myself albeit most of them are still in kit form
and not their most compact state. So how/where do you stow your larger models? Please give a glimpse of any particularly clever racks, pigeon hole units or other innovative storage. Presently I keep my built heavy models on mover's trolleys so I can roll them around easily. I try to keep them covered to
avoid dirt, grime or shop crud getting on them.

Weight and size dictates that mine are kept in my garage although some smaller, lighter or more easily damaged models may go inside eventually.
That's complicated by the substantial number of 1/10 scale models already in just about every nook and cranny in my home. I am somewhat limited for space.

My plan is to eventually make a multilevel unit in my garage with space for nearly all of my 1/6 models. I plan to make this of 3/4 or 1" plywood with a
strong frame to support these hefty machines. Maximum height will be limited to the height of my hydraulic lift table...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Re: Storage solutions

Post by Robert E Morey »

My method is not clever at all. Industrial racks, hydraulic lift table and furniture dollies.
Bob

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Robert E Morey wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:50 pm
My method is not clever at all. Industrial racks, hydraulic lift table and furniture dollies.
Bob
If it works well that's all the clever there need be. I've been told Gorilla racks work well. I have some of these; the 'industrial' size
however they're not assembled as they are so tall as to impinge on my garage door when it is opened; I have limited options where I can place them
but I may yet use them.

Jerry

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Most of mine are now in shipping containers, sitting on 400kg rated industrial racking.

1677831630-04197500.jpg
1677831630-04197500.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

I bought a pallet stacker which can raise them to 1.5m, then I slide them sideways onto the racking.

48l plastic storage boxes with unbuilt kits or electronics go on the top shelf.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi All
I use a similar shelf design rated at 1000 kg per shelf.
(Machine Mart ) here in the UK.
They are 800 mm deep and 1800 mm wide.
I have them on in front of the other to get the depth, and one shelf has a Famo a comet, a 5 inch polly loco, and a pac 43.
Not bent at all over 3 years I was a bit sceptical when I ordered them .

I decant my kits into really useful boxes 86 ltrs size with lids no peanuts saves a massive amount of space and keeps things corrosion free just the longest hull panels laying on top.

I have esay 8 , Lee, and hetzer stored like this for some time all sound.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Gerhard Michel
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

My tanks stand on hydraulic automobile jacks on partially selfmade tables in a basement room. They are carried with a hydraulic lifting carriage to a window in another basement room and leave the basement over 2 ramps through a window.

kind regards
Gerhard

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:50 pm
My tanks stand on hydraulic automobile jacks on partially selfmade tables in a basement room. They are carried with a hydraulic lifting carriage to a window in another basement room and leave the basement over 2 ramps through a window.

That's impressive Gerhard! I like it..

Jerry

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi all

Having converted my garage to a workshop and getting to the point where I will need access need the trolley lift, I needed to find a way of storing the Tiger. The need to keep the space between the work areas clear means I will have to alter my clean workbench area so the Tiger can sit underneath but be easily accessible. The solution was to build a dolly with 4 x 2 timber for the tracks to sit on which will enable me to use a scissor lift to take the strain of the suspension while in storage.
A quick trip to my local DIY store and I returned with two braked and two unbraked 75kg castored wheels, a sheet of 1200 x 610 x 18 MDF cut down to 1050 x 610, M8 nuts, dome head bolts and washers and a length of 4" x 2" timber. Cost was about £65 all in.
The construction is fairly obvious from the photos so I won't bore you with the details, the two metal hooks on the side are to stop the Tiger from hitting the wall when I push the dolly under the workbench. Next step is to rebuild the work bench with a wider top and remove the bottom shelf to allow the Tiger to go underneath. I will get a plastic curtain ( shower curtain ?) on rails to stop the Tiger getting covered in dust etc while I work on the Churchill.

Regards
Gary
4X2  for tracks to sit on and give room for the jack
4X2 for tracks to sit on and give room for the jack
Castors, two with brakes
Castors, two with brakes
I need a bigger workshop
I need a bigger workshop
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi all

Just thought I would show the difference having the Tiger on the dolly has made to the workshop. I did replace the worktop with a wider and longer one made from 18mm MDF and judicious use of some stout timber.

Regards
Gary
Tiger stored and I have a bigger work surface
Tiger stored and I have a bigger work surface
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs