Steve Cope
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 18 times

Newbie to the Panther

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi All

Just introducing myself to the group,

I am ex Army (REME, Recovery Mechanic) and live in South Wales

I have just brought the Panther G 1944, complete with all the addon packs, as yet not received it as I will be hopefully collecting it Thursday 23rd March.

Completely new to the Armortek models, so I am looking forward to the experience, I have had a lot of experience with RC model aircraft and helicopters, (mainly gliders), not model Tanks, I do have Spektrum radio equipment, I hope to use this, but at the moment not sure as it is Air, maybe someone could advise?

Any advice on things that I might require before collection would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to be able to speak\communicate to you all sometime or meet to the chew the fat.

Many thanks

Steve

Will Roberts
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Newbie to the Panther

Post by Will Roberts »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your purchase. There are a few Ex REME mechs on this forum and you will find all the information you need and inspiration to get the most out of your new Panther. Many people use Spectrums and the Knowledge Base has lots of information about the radio setup and compatibility with Armortek electronics. I own a King Tiger and Panther and live in Swindon close to the M4 Junction 16 and being retired have plenty of time and lots of reference material if you ever want to stop off for a cup of tea. I am also a member of the Southern Armour Group who have about 10 regular Armortek owners and frequently meet at Bovington Tank museum (at least monthly). Don't be put off by all the talk of milling and machining that a lot of people do, these models can be built with the basic engineering tools and elbow grease. I look forward to meeting you.

Kind regards,

Will.

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi Will

Thank you for the welcome, and the offer of tea and knowledge, I must admit I travel the M4 corridor from Wales a lot as my son lives in Hampshire, one of the reasons I am picking the tank up from Armortek (keep the delivery cost down), as I am visiting him Wednesday coming back Thursday.

I have been to the Tank Fest on a few occasions when I lived in Hamphire, that is when I saw the Armortek models, never thought I would have the permission or money from management to purchase one myself.

Kind regards

Steve

Malcolm.Plumb
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 872 times

Post by Malcolm.Plumb »

Hi Steve

Also a newbie with large scale tank builds but not R/C it’s self.
Mines on the go and I must say you are going enjoy it.

Look forward to seeing how you get on with the beast and good luck.
2022 Panther G #15

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi Malcolm

Thank you

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi All

Just to let you know I am back home after visiting Armortek today, I am now the proud owner of the Panther G 2022 68, now to open up box 1, and as Kian put it retrieve the goodies bag, which means a lot of reading, I did make a video of the visit but newbie mistake new camera and not knowing how to use so hopefully iIhave actually recorded something :)

Gary Rafferty
Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 442 times

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Hi Steve,

Look forward to seeing your build.

Cheers
Gary

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Thank you Gary

I will have many questions. started a new post, hopefully to gather as much information as possible

Steve

Gary Rafferty

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Steve Cope wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:52 pm
Thank you Gary

I will have many questions. started a new post, hopefully to gather as much information as possible

Steve
Like yourself Steve I'm new to Armorteks and I'm always asking questions.
Rather that than bugger something up :lol:

Cheers
Gary

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Yes I agree, information, information, information, hopefully will means not many mistakes, what stage are you at?

Gary Rafferty

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Steve Cope wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:43 am
Yes I agree, information, information, information, hopefully will means not many mistakes, what stage are you at?
Hi Steve,

My posts are new member 1944.
Tracks/wheels suspension pretty much done I've built the rear bins today.
I have modified some parts front sprockets and road wheels machined back to look correct, and other parts.
I was hoping to get some painting done today and start assembling the hull..
but weather not so good.

Cheers
Gary

Steve Cope

Post by Steve Cope »

Hi Gary

I have been reading your posts I am learning a lot, I see you have not started the build from the first page, is there a reason, or is it a preference?

Also you mention lots of extra parts you have brought, are these better than the Armortek standard, have you a contact?

I have just brought Simonz etch primer off Amazon, this should be ok?

Many thanks

Steve

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 880 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Steve.
Welcome aboard. I Have Panther 18.

Gary has invested in some Amopax stuff, as have I. There is also Mark Lawson and Steve Winstone, I hope they don't mind the mention. Have a look in the craftsman section on the forum too.

Take care though, add ons can be addictive. We'll to me anyway :wink: :shock:

Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Gary Rafferty

Post by Gary Rafferty »

Steve Cope wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:29 pm
Hi Gary

I have been reading your posts I am learning a lot, I see you have not started the build from the first page, is there a reason, or is it a preference?

Also you mention lots of extra parts you have brought, are these better than the Armortek standard, have you a contact?

I have just brought Simonz etch primer off Amazon, this should be ok?

Many thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

To be honest first page was just to get familiar with everything.
I have built mine in a different order as I wanted to get a lot of the repetitive jobs done and out of the way and secondly I wasn't very keen to spray paint in the winter.
So the hull was not as important at that time to build as i was also waiting for the motors.
As you may have seen on the forum I had to debur every wheel, and file back the mating surfaces to get them to sit flush, and I have sent my rims to local engineering company to correct.
Over 1000 nuts and bolts alone in the wheels alone..
This took a lot of time without doing anything else.
To be honest you can get away without doing some of what I have done but I want to make the best panther possible.
Luckily I have a forum member who has been invaluable for help.
As Charles mentions for aftermarket parts these are the go to guy's.
Armortek do not supply a lot of these parts with the kit and yes the aftermarket parts are very good quality.
I am using Upol degreaser,primer, red oxide primer, and Ral Fosco Dunkelgelb yellow for top coat then send it away to be professionally painted.
I don't see why not simonz is a respected brand and you have gone for etch primer.
I would however use a degreaser and sanding for a key before applying any paint.

Cheers
Gary

Malcolm.Plumb
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 872 times

Post by Malcolm.Plumb »

I have also not started on page one.
I wanted to also get some of the very repetitive parts cleaned up and out of the way but my choice is the suspension so I can get the hull together.
I’m also using Upol degreaser and their etch primer on all parts.
Some parts have been filed to clean them up and check for fit and sanded also if needed.
The very least I’m using scotch pads to make sure all parts are scuffed up before any primer is applied.
2022 Panther G #15