Electrics on Panzer III

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
David Hopkins

Electrics on Panzer III

Post by David Hopkins »

I received my Panzer III recently and the build is coming along great but would like to know has anyone looked at the electrics yet, is it similar to the Tiger does is look easy or harder? Any pictures greatly apprectiated. When I get farther I will put on some pictures of the build so far. :twisted: :P :twisted:

-Dave

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

Yes I have been thinking about the electrics. I've got to a point in the fitting build where I need the motion pack so that I can workout what I need to do and where to locate everything. The motion packs are not available yet but I hope to be getting mine quite soon. With no painnier to put equipment on, it means the complete electrical installation, batteries and all will need to be in the centre of the hull. One thing I have found that the MG ball does need a bit of attention, its a tight fit. The rest, I need to see how the land lies before I do anymore. The MG also needs drilling so that I can get some fibre optic through it.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1211 times
Been liked: 1386 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

What size is the basic hull "tub" :?:

The Sherman is about 250mm across between the lower hull walls and 800mm front to back. It does have some room on the sponsons for things like the motor controllers though.

Seeing the shot of David Gray's finished Tiger, it's amazing how much room there is in one of them compared to the smaller tanks.

Adrian.

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

The Panzer III doesn't have any sponsons, so basically you have the lenght of the hull by the width. I don't have the mesurements to hand. My feeling is that room will be tight, but I need to see what room there is once the motors and 4QD's are in. Short of having everything available, it's difficult to visualise where everything belongs.

Things like the hull and turret MG I have bored out so that I can get fibre optic's along the lenght to enable an LED to be hooked up to the benedini sound module, so I need to make allowance for the hull MG to move and for the wiring. I also plan on using Thomas's smoke system so I need room in the back for that, plus amp, speakers.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

Garry,

I should imagine its going to be quite a tight squeeze to get everything in but I would avoid putting electronics on the hull floor, you only need a little water and your in trouble. I would mount them say about 1 inch off the floor.
Allan Richards

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

Allan,

Having built a few subs in the past, I am very aware of what water does to radio control and model electrics. In all the tanks I have build or modified I always put the electrics in project boxes where possible and always mount them as high up as possible. Looking at the room available I am sort of expecting the front to house the motors and possibly the 4QD's, the mid section for the batteries, which just leaves the rear for the rest. Yes it is going to be tight.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

Just had a call from Gill to say my motion pack will be arriving tomorrow. It's going to be a busy day as I have a milling machine arriving too.

I'll try and find some time to take a few pictures of the motion pack a post them.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

Everything arrived, and thats the problem. I worked at home yesterday because I had a milling machine arriving, the motion pack and a package from RS. Then out of the blue the electrician called about the extra power in the garage. He arrived not to price the job but do it, closely followed by the milling machine . Chaos!!!!!!! So yesterday turned out to be a mad day, apart from getting the milling machine in once the electrician had gone and installing it, I didn't get a great deal else done.

I had a quick peek in the motion pack box. The motors appear to done a lot of travelling, from Halstead, to Honiton and back to Colchester. There's quite a bit in the box so I'll get some smaps done, maybe today.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Jim Fowler

Motion Pack Pics?

Post by Jim Fowler »

Gary,

Did you ever get a chance to take some pictures of the motion pack parts?

Gill was kind enough to send me an advanced copy of the motion pack instructions; and, i have been reviewing the documents. But, I have some questions that seeing the parts may answer for me. This is not a big deal, and not holding me up any - just hoping you can when possible. - thanks in advance.

Actually, Gill notified me a few days ago that my P3 kit has shipped. So, now I am sort of in that cleanup/preperation stage....(yeah, I am one of those that usually works in constant clutter....and leaves it until the start of the next project.).

Well, I am procrastinating again.....better get back to it.....I hate cleaning.
Thanks,

Jim

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

Sorry,

I have been busy as hell with milling machine installation, electricians and yet another trip planned for Singapore to get sorted for, and putting home cinema in at the weekend. The weekend just flew by. I'll try and do something tonight.

I'll try and use my pocket camera then I don't have to mess with reducing the size.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

I haven't used photobox for ages and the blighters have changed it all, so I hope these work.

The Motion pack

and I took a quick picture of the cleaner part of the workshop now every thing is in

Last edited by Garry Coomber on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Kent Wiik

Post by Kent Wiik »

Garry, sorry but no...

Have you tried this one?
http://tinypic.com/

Kent

Garry Coomber

Post by Garry Coomber »

Told you the blighters have changed it all. It's to do with sharing. I'll figure it out
Garry

1/6 PzKfw III

Dale jordan
Been liked: 365 times

Post by Dale jordan »

Thanks for the photos Garry . What's with the steel plate behind the fridge ... I like your lathe and mill... Dale

Jim Fowler

Post by Jim Fowler »

Thanks for the photos!
Your work area is great.

Best Wishes,
Thanks,

Jim