2022 JP new build part 3

Forum for discussion relating to the Jagdpanther
graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 153 times

2022 JP new build part 3

Post by graham pipe »

So, last post showed the lower hull and discussed the running gear, etc. and now it's time to move on to the upper superstructure.

New old stock sponson tops, front glacis, rear vertical hatch plate and sides had been acquired from Armortek at the start of the project but the long side panels were prototype machining samples and therefore required a little work to make good. There were several redundant holes which needed filling, some fettling to the joggled interlock cut-outs was necessary and one panel needed the milled flat surface for the engine deck finishing off by careful hand filing and scraping. This was no problem and I considered myself very lucky to have been able to get these parts in the first place – to have had to mill them from aluminium plate stock would have been a fair undertaking. So thanks very much Armortek. I'm truly amazed at some of the spares they still carry!

Following some fettling and adjustment, all the panels fitted together nicely and very soon the menacing form took shape. I couldn't get the roof so made one from 2mm ali and added some of the donor vehicle's roof fittings, other vents and vision blocks from acquired parts and new hatches, hinges and “bunny ear” scissor periscope hatch form AT spares stock.

The vertical rear panel uses the hatch from Kees' model and the engine deck is also from the donor model with some modifications and re-siting of the radiator air inlets. So I guess the upperworks are about 90% Armortek parts.

Once happy with the fit, it was dismantled, all metal parts sand or glass bead blasted to give a good key for the paint then coated in etching red oxide primer and reassembled. The weld seams were simulated all over the tank using Milliput fine stippled with a sculpted piece of brass tube to give that “pennys on their edge” weld puddle appearance. Laborious but very necessary work.

The long walkway panels came with my initial delivery of Armortek spares and the 12 fiddly support brackets (which also carry the fixings for the Schurzen plates) had come from the job lot of JP parts shown in Part 1 of this log. The spare track link hangers also came from the same source but were rather thin and flimsy and not quite scale. Therefore new ones were made from brass strip and folded thin sheet steel. Studs were soldered on to avoid having unsightly screw heads showing and the retaining pins made from annealed brass rod with model railway retaining chains and clips.

Reference to the excellent Panzer Tracts Jagdpanther bible revealed the Panther tool racks acquired in the job lot to be too small and also inaccurate. The 1/10 scale drawings in the book were then scaled up to 1/6, card templates/soldering jigs made up and the racks for both sides constructed from brass strip, tube and filed down 1 cent coins for the tow cable retainers.

Tools, C shaped towing hooks, the Tetra fire extinguisher, pry bars and brass photoetch tool clamps were all from Dave Dibb at Armorpax and the track towing cable made from a bicycle gear change bowden cable with custom loop ends. The latter is coiled around a fabricated brass hanger and the jacking block and frame are taken from the donor model.

I'd acquired the gun cleaning tube as a 3 part “kit” of Armortek parts but it was too small in diameter and looked wrong. So back to the Panzer Tracts book and a correct item made from Plastic tube, brass strip and angle section, steel rod forged and ground into a long pry bar and Armorpax tool clamps as before.

The correct positions were determined from the book, holes subsequently drilled and everything attached by soldered studs and inner nuts. The extra or mis-positioned holes for the smaller racks were then filled, sanded back flush and the whole upperworks oxide primed and painted Dunkel gelb.

Accessorising the model with the finished parts was a joy after all the fiddly work of making from scratch and I was very pleased with the result.

The rear hull panel was fitted with Armortek hatches, starter plate and stowage bins with the latter modified to be spaced away from the hull. The exhaust boxes and stacks came from the donor model and the tiny reflector made from brass strip and tube. All 4 towing shackles are whitemetal castings but I'm not sure of the maker. Whatever, they are nicely made and threaded and look good but not suitable for any serious towing! My local DIY store sells stainless steel and zinc plated steel versions for washing lines but they're not quite the same profile.

The front mudguards are Armortek but as I didn't have access to Steve Winstone's wonderful services, I reworked them to be an accurate representation with the pressed reinforcing ribs and hinged opening tow shackle sections (using tiny doll's house brass hinges and brass rivets).

The manlet, barrel and muzzle brake came from the donor vehicle, the huge cast manlet mount from NOS stock courtesy of Monique and the gun pivot mechanism from the earlier acquired job lot shown in Part 1. So now I'm just waiting delivery of the slewing and elevating hardware plus a low geared motor and hefty servo for traversing.

I'll cover the electrical and radio installation in the next part so in the meantime, here are photos of the progress.
Attachments
17.JPG
19.JPG
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
43.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg
52.jpg
54.jpg
55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg

simon_manning
Been liked: 1614 times

Re: 2022 JP new build part 3

Post by simon_manning »

You've done a great job there Graham, achieved a lot and a nice result, regards simon manning.

graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by graham pipe »

Hi Simon and thanks so much for the kind comments.

Yes, this project has been something of an odessey and is probably a very expensive way to create Jagpanther #36 but I believe it has been worth the effort and expense. I'm just waiting for brother in law, who's staying with us for xmas, to help me lift the beast off the bench, get it downstairs and running around our external space.

Liking all the recent posts of your super detailed and weathered models.

Best regards from a freezing Normandy.

G

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Graham,
Your Jagdpanther looks fantastic. Those tow shackles may be from me - I made a few sets in Pewter (white metal). Quite correct they are only for looks - no pulling. The original owner Kees may have purchased them.
Best regards,
Bob