Sherman Easy 8 track problem

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
John Burden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Sherman Easy 8 track problem

Post by John Burden »

Hi folks, I have been fighting a problem with my right hand track climbing over the outboard drive sprocket. I have played with the tension and a couple of the return rollers trying to find the reason . When it does this the tension becomes so tight I have broken 1 track link and bent a pin. I have to break open the track to get it off the sprocket. I have added a link but could not get the proper tension so removed it. I know the Sherman likes a tight track but it sure looks way too tight to me. Not sure where else to look for the resolve. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Dale jordan
Been liked: 350 times

Re: Sherman Easy 8 track problem

Post by Dale jordan »

Could be an alignment problem riding the track up over the sprocket ... Dale

Chang
Has liked: 14901 times
Been liked: 371 times

Post by Chang »

My twice experiences :
Go checking the taper lock bushing. If broken, could cause the final drive axle-sprocket wobbling , then mis-aligned the track.

Good luck!
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Erik Dries
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Erik Dries »

When it is only the outside sprocket it climbs on to, it could be the sprocket is bend.

John Burden

Post by John Burden »

I have taken off the drive sprocket and the taper bushing is fine, the sprocket looks good, not bent or wobbly. The track still come over the outside sprocket in the forward direction. Not right away but after a few minutes of running. I noticed I have a track link that seems to be very stiff on its pin and starting to think it may have have something to do with it. slow speed seems ok but if I increase the speed to full it will come off

GlenStenhouse
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by GlenStenhouse »

I had this and it was a tiny stone had gotten into one of the track link holes.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

The stiff link could be the sole problem. I would take those links out and file them so they are not stiff when assembled. I had to file many links a tad so they were smooth running. Sometimes the track pin hole is not perfectly centered or perpendicular to the link and the links will bind when assembled. This will definitely cause a jump. Also there is very little clearance of the sprocket teeth to the holes in the links - the sprocket must be carefully aligned to the rest of the track, wheels.
Bob

JerryBarnes
Been liked: 2 times

Post by JerryBarnes »

Bob, did your issue get resolved. I’m starting on the assembly of the links this month and was curious what you found to be the problem? Thanks, Jerry

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Jerry, that's a better question for the original poster - John (did he get his issues resolved).

Greetings from one Coloradoan to another. I live in WA now but consider CO my home.

My tracks are smooth as silk, but took some time to assemble. The track pin hole varies in location a small bit and can cause binding links. Also the links are from a 2 part mold so have some flash in the location shown below (at red arrows). I filed a little material from these locations on sticking links and this eliminated the binding.

Bob

JerryBarnes
Been liked: 2 times

Post by JerryBarnes »

Thankyou for the update. Did you prime and paint your tracks after they were assembled?

GlenStenhouse
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by GlenStenhouse »

I treated my tracks with aluminium black before assembling. I assembled with a small amount of copper grease on each pin. I then painted the rust and mud effects on the assembled tracks.

Some have assembled and then etched but this would result in the copper grease washing out and I thought that is a good long term easement for the tracks.

I've put a few km's on the Sherman now and it's still going strong. I've had one track come off from a stone getting caught in the front sprocket when turning whilst on gravel. I won't do that again.

John Burden

Post by John Burden »

Sorry gents, Yes I got the issue resolved by pulling some stiff pins and reworking a couple of tight holes for a much better alignment for the pin into the link. I did have to replace 1 sprocket that got chewed a little too much. A new issue is stripping out the socket on the 3mm track screws. Gone through 4 of the wrenches.

John Burden

Post by John Burden »

JerryBarnes wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 pm
Thankyou for the update. Did you prime and paint your tracks after they were assembled?
Jerry I primed the individual inks before assembly