Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Re: Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi all

I received the stencils and jerrycans yesterday (thanks Dave, good quality as usual) and spent the evening cleaning the excess off the jerrycans. Today I set about adding the numerals on the bin and turret sided. I wanted a hand painted look rather than a neat finish but first had to trim some of the areas around the stencils so that I could position them properly. This took a bit of juggling as the Funklenk radio antenna is in the way. My tank is loosely based on a Tiger from Panzer Abteilung 301 (Funklenk) and as it is model No. 13, I had a choice of 113 or 213. Having tried both I liked the look of 213 even though it was harder to fit the numerals around the ariel mounting bracket.
I taped the stencils in place then used a fairly dry brush of white paint to give a light outline, then the stencils were removed and I hand painted the white numbers. I used matt black as the infill but made sure it didn't look too tidy. The turret bin has had larger numerals added using a similar method.
I have used various thinned down oils to match the turret to the hull and once thoroughly dry I will add the dust layer to the turret and bin.
I experimented with some shrubbery to see which plants look good as extra camouflage for the Tiger. I used a triple coat of Citadel varnish on each twig and leaves and will see if they hold together over the next few weeks. I have also been online trying to get some 1/6 scale camouflage net and crates/boxes to put on the rear deck without much success. I have started making some crates using box wood from the local hobby store and will see how they turn out.
Ragnar kindly pointed out I had the machine gun the wrong way round and the barrel should be on the left, oddly the Armortek manual shows it on the right. I have swapped it around but the mod I did the keep the barrel central will need another mod as it is flopping around again :?
Anyway, it is now time for a glass of Rioja so I will wish you all a pleasant evening.

Regards
Gary
Tiger 213
Tiger 213
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

I too like that zimmerit - paint job looks excellent!
Best regards,
Bob

Gary Richardson

Robert E Morey wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:03 am
I too like that zimmerit - paint job looks excellent!
Best regards,
Bob
Hi Bob

Thanks for your kind comments. The zimmerit was made using a mixture of tile adhesives. 3 parts smooth to 1 part coarse plus enough water to get a thick paste, then I added a small amount of PVA glue. I did a lot of test pieces before adding it to the tank. The glue works really well and the paste will stick to almost anything. You can see more and the tools I used earlier in my build.

Kind regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Gary Richardson

Good evening

Just a quick update. I made a tool out of scrap brass that will assist in fixing the nuts that hold the decks in place. It works quite well and has an adjustable angle.
The bow machine gun was sorted out with another small mod and works well. The wheels have had a layer of dust added as they looked to clean compared to the rest of the tank. My driver is raring to go, and I caught him hacking branches off the plants in my garden. Unfortunately it was too wet to take photos outside, but I take some over the next couple of days.

Regards
Gary
Deck fixing tool
Deck fixing tool
Getting ready to prowl
Getting ready to prowl

Gary Richardson

Hi all

While waiting for the areas I oil painted to completely dry I carried on with the detailing. The jerrycans from Dave have been cleaned, sprayed and aged with a few scratches and stains. I decided to mix it up and have two water cans and one with fuel which would have been used for the Borgwards.
The next task is to age and weather the two towing cables which have already been scorched with a blow torch. I found some camouflage netting and German equipment boxes of various sorts online and have ordered them. I know camouflage netting was rarely used on Tigers especially mid 1944 onwards as they preferred using branches and often welded d-rings on the turrets to attach the foliage. I want to have some crates and folded camo net tied down on the rear deck along with the German bicycle I ordered last week.
I am still in two minds whether to add commander and loader figures to the turret. I was intending to do an animatronic commander as I have already bought the torso and control card and fitted the servos. Maybe it's a separate project for those cold winter evenings, the problem is I am getting distracted by the research on the Churchill.... possibly a Mk3 AVRE with mortar and fascine carrier and the fascine as 1944 ties in nicely with my Tiger, but that's for a new build thread.

Regards
Gary
Two water and one fuel can added to the bin
Two water and one fuel can added to the bin

Gary Richardson

Hi all

This morning I added the spare track links to the turret and brushed some rust staining onto the zimmerit. The tow cables are almost finished with rust, dirt and dust added, they just need a coat of Citadel varnish to fix the effects in place. A few scratches were added to the turret roof and bin with a little rust, I am still debating whether to add a smattering of rubble pigment on the decks and tracks but am unsure if it will stick as the surfaces have had oil-based finishes used on them.
The twigs and leaves I sprayed with varnish seem to be holding up well. A few leaves have dropped off and there is a bit of curling, time will tell if they last long term. I intend to go to the local nursery to see what plants they have with very small leaves and twigs that also will look like branches and can be used on the Tiger. I still haven't been able to get any outdoor photos of the Tiger as the weather has been too wet and the garden is sodden.

Regards
Gary
Spare links with rust effects
Spare links with rust effects
And again
And again
And a close up
And a close up

Gary Richardson

Hi all

The tow cables took less time to age than I expected so I thought I would post the photos of them fitted. One is in the ready to use position and the other is the standard stowage position. I have also included a photo of the front light with the driver peering out of the backlight vision slit.
The Tiger is 99% complete now, just a few test drives to ensure the tracks are bedded in and maybe some dirtying up of the tracks. I will add a few a items to the rear deck when they arrive.

Regards
Gary
Tow cables installed
Tow cables installed
Tiger is almost complete
Tiger is almost complete
Now if only the rain would stop
Now if only the rain would stop
Night stalker
Night stalker

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1703 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Wish I had your weathering skills.

Vince

Gary Richardson

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:06 pm
Wish I had your weathering skills.

Vince
Hi Vince

Thankyou. As this is my first AFV I was worried about the painting and weathering. I did make a lot of mistakes especially with the base colour and my first attempt at camouflage which required respraying the whole tank several times, but at least it is unlikely to corrode :D. I did try to include any mistakes I made in my build thread which may help others avoid them. I read Stephen's painting and weathering guides many times before deciding to use oil paints which have advantages and disadvantages. The colour range available for the Abteilung 502 oils is excellent and the smoke effects and dust layer was very easy to achieve, but the drying times can be quite frustrating. I particularly like the dark rust oil as it looks right and has texture when dappled on. I also spoke to Simon on several occasions who gave me lots of advice as we discussed the excellent paint job on his Famo. Simon uses water-based paints with hairspray between the layers. He says it is easy to do but I think he has a real talent for it. It is a method I may try on the Churchill.
Lastly, I think you have to just go for it, do small areas at a time and stand back every ten minutes to ensure you are not overdoing it or forming a pattern. I put a coat of Citadel varnish on top of the acrylic base coat which means any mistake with the oils can be removed with an oil paint solvent without ruining the base coat.

Kind regards
Gary

Gary Richardson

Hi all

The Tiger is 99% finished, just some dirtying up of the tracks and lower rear of the hull to do. I took it for a drive today to check the tracks and suspension are bedding in and was very pleased how well it drove. Turning on the wet grass was a slight problem but that is most likely my inexperience, I will just have to keep practising :D I drove for approx. 30 minutes and had 81% showing on the power module.
I have built a German bicycle to go on the rear of the Tiger and have also made up some ropes and will place a crate full of wine bottles on the rear deck. The camouflage netting I acquired doesn't look right, I suspect it is repurposed material that has just been dyed. I will try and get some square meshed brown netting which I believe would be more accurate.

Regards
Gary
Tiger on very wet grass.
Tiger on very wet grass.
Tiger track bedding in drive B.jpg
Tiger track bedding in drive C.jpg
Tiger track bedding in drive D.jpg
Tiger track bedding in drive E.jpg
Tiger track bedding in drive F.jpg
German bicycle to go on rear deck
German bicycle to go on rear deck

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Excellent Work Gary - looks great! The Late Tiger 1 really has a presence.
Bob

Gary Richardson

Robert E Morey wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:45 pm
Excellent Work Gary - looks great! The Late Tiger 1 really has a presence.
Bob
Thanks Bob

I appreciate your kind comments.
I must admit I am very happy with the way the Tiger has come out. I only became interested in AFVs about three years ago and thanks to seeing Adrian and Davids tanks last year and having a chat with both of them at a local Warag show, decided to bite the bullet and order the 2021 Late Tiger. It has been a very steep learning curve, but very enjoyable. I think the Tiger is a good choice for a newbie as there is so much reference material available and a host of excellent builds on the forum to study. My sincere thanks to all of you who have provided advice, encouragement, aftermarket parts, 3D printer files and so freely given time and assistance.
Lastly and by no means least, a big thanks to Kian and Monique for an excellent product. I hope I can do justice to the Churchill :D

Regards
Gary

Oliver Brüninghaus
Has liked: 562 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by Oliver Brüninghaus »

Great Model Gary, it looks so authentic in the open.
Great balance of colour and weathering.

Have fun going to action with this beauty!

Regards
Oliver
It's Grim Up North

Gary Richardson

Good morning

I finally got round to getting a commander for my Tiger. I will add a few more photos next week when I can get the Tiger somewhere more scenic and have added all the extra stowage.

Regards
Gary
Ready to roll
Ready to roll
He is happy with his new command
He is happy with his new command

Gary Richardson

Hi all

I have noticed the barrel has started bouncing up and down on the Tiger. The actuator has a bit of slack and coupled with the free play in the mechanical connections the end of the barrel is moving about 25mm. I am not sure if there is a bolted connection in the actuator that could be adjusted to remove the free play in the actuator rod and there is not a lot that can be done to the mechanical connections without causing binding issues. I mentioned this to David while at the Warag show and he mentioned counterbalancing the barrel so I decided to try it.
After a bit of trial and error I found an empty enamel thinners can and cut a length of M6 threaded rod which I ran through the can. I poured some molten lead into the can which half filled it and weighed 600g, not enough to counter the barrel but a good starting point. I then ran out of lead pieces but remembered some bagged weights I had for diving. I cut the 1Kg bag open and it was full of tiny lead shot, no more melting required as I just poured them into the tin.
The result was a counterbalance weighing 1.3kg that is just about right, I left an exposed thread at the base of the can to enable a lead washer to be added if adjustment is required. The rod threads into the block attached to the mantlet, an easy mod using a 5mm drill and M6 tap. Hopefully I will do a trial run over the weekend to confirm how effective it is.

Regards
Gary
1.3Kg counter balance
1.3Kg counter balance
Kurt is happy with the mod.
Kurt is happy with the mod.