Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Re: Tiger 1 2021 no. 13

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi Gary

Is that a Tangit or Evostik tin? :D

25mm jump at the end of the barrel is a lot. Happy you found a solution by putting weight on the actuator to take up the backlash.

Hopefully it's not the first indication that the screwjack is worn out.

Vince

graham pipe
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by graham pipe »

Hi Gary,

Excellent work and a fine looking model. I'm just finishing a Jagdpanther and I too needed a counterbalance for the barrel - 2.8 kilos. You can see the result and description of the mod on part 7 of my build log.

All the best from Normandy

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:59 am
Hi Gary

Is that a Tangit or Evostik tin? :D

25mm jump at the end of the barrel is a lot. Happy you found a solution by putting weight on the actuator to take up the backlash.

Hopefully it's not the first indication that the screwjack is worn out.

Vince
Hi Vince

I used an enamel thinners tin 125ml, the actuator has had very little use as the Tiger was only completed last year and has only run for a couple of hours so far. The slack in the actuator is probably only 4mm but gets amplified due to the barrel length. By using the counter weight it should mean there is very little strain on the actuator.

All the best
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Gary Richardson

graham pipe wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:23 am
Hi Gary,

Excellent work and a fine looking model. I'm just finishing a Jagdpanther and I too needed a counterbalance for the barrel - 2.8 kilos. You can see the result and description of the mod on part 7 of my build log.

All the best from Normandy
Hi Graham

Thank you for your kind comment. I found the lead shot in the dive weight bag made it very easy as you can just keep adding to the tin until it balances. As it happens the tin was full to the top which also helps stop the weights moving about. I did look at sash window weights which come in round or square section with a hole already through the middle for a cord. That would be very easy to use.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Gary Richardson

Hi all

A quick update on counter balancing the barrel. I did a trial run with the 1.3Kg counterweight and it was marginal so I heeded David's advice and added another 0.15Kg of lead to give the elevation positive weight. This worked a treat and all trace of bouncing has gone, any movement is now very slow and looks realistic.
I also used a slightly longer piece of threaded rod to allow about 20mm to protrude from the back of the can. I then melted some of the lead shot and poured it into the base of an upended spray can, warning make sure the can is completely empty and has a hole drilled in it :o . The natural bowl at the base of the can provided a great mould for a shaped lead washer. This was drilled and the flat side place against the base of the counterweight can. The domed shape looks much neater that just a chunk of lead. The entire counterbalance can be removed by undoing one nut and unscrewing the rod.
The counterbalance weighed 1.45Kg in total and could possibly have reduced it using a longer rod, but, a longer rod allows more flex which in itself can induce bounce.

Regards
Gary

Gary Richardson

Hi all

I have added some more detailing to the Tiger including barbed wire, a bicycle, helmets etc. I have been doing a lot of airbrushing and priming on the Churchill and most of the garage surfaces were getting covered in paint dust including the aircraft and Tiger. I was walking around a well known store that sells bedding, curtains etc when I noticed they sold cheap net curtain material off the roll. I found one that has a very close plain weave, was the correct drop and it was only £1.50 a metre. Three meters and some curtain support wire and hooks were enough to enclose both my under bench spaces where the Tiger lives. Total cost £5.80 and 15 minutes to set it up.
I was about to take some more photos of the Tiger now it is how I want it , but it started to rain and I had to retreat back into the garage. I will try again later and post the photos.
Vince, I found the piece of barbed wire I had tangled on the Tiger and will add a photo of that as well.

Regards
Gary
Tigers lair
Tigers lair
The net provides a cheap and simple dust screen while making access easy
The net provides a cheap and simple dust screen while making access easy

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

That Tiger Looks Amazing,Gary

i hope i can do half as good a job

Donald

Gary Richardson

Donald Suttie wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:46 pm
That Tiger Looks Amazing,Gary

i hope i can do half as good a job

Donald
Thanks Donald

Every time I say I am going to stop adding details I see a photo or build that gives me a new idea. I did try adding boxes as stowage but it didn't look right. I do want to add some branches as camouflage as the ones I varnished last year finally fell apart. Will try and post some photos of it on the grass tomorrow.

Best wishes
Gary

Gary Richardson

Hi all

As promised here are some photos of my Tiger 1.

Regards
Gary
Tiger 1a.jpg
Tiger 1b.jpg
Tiger 1c.jpg
Tiger 1d.jpg
Tiger 1e.jpg
Tiger 1f.jpg
Tiger 1g.jpg
Tiger 1h.jpg
Tiger 1i.jpg
Tiger 1j.jpg

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

An excellent rendition of a late Tiger 1.

Vince

Gary Richardson

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:43 pm
An excellent rendition of a late Tiger 1.

Vince
Hi Vince
I appreciate your kind words. Yours was one of the builds I took inspiration from.

Regards
Gary

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Love your paint job. Excellent work!
Bob

Gary Richardson

Hi all

While planning the wiring for the Churchill I thought I would take the opportunity to rewire the Tiger battery charging circuits and lighting circuit. I originally had 5mm banana plugs and sockets which made for a neat installation but I hadn't allowed for charging both batteries at the same time and the lighting power supply was from the sockets. Having recently bought the NOCO 4x2 dual charger I decided to modify the wiring using 17A cables from each battery with XT60 connectors as the charge sockets. I also modified the chargers leads to use the same connectors.
The NOCO provides two 2A supplies from one unit, they are electrically isolated from each other so there is no need for a switch between the batteries.
I also have a CTEK 5A charger and will add another for the odd occasion I need rapid charging. Again the CTEK is isolated so two can be used at the same time.
I am still trying to decide whether to install a couple of leisure batteries, DC chargers and a 230V inverter in my van, it is quite expensive at over £1000 but would help out as I want to take the Tiger to shows and it would mean I could do two days instead of just one. The other alternative is a petrol generator with two 230v sockets at around £400 but I am not sure if these are allowed at some of the venues.
I am also toying with the idea of making a simple trailer for the Tiger which can hold two of the 12V 22A AGM batteries complete with XT60 leads which would allow me to connect them in parallel to the existing tank battery charge leads. This would allow me to move the tank in the event of me running out of power away from the van.
I will use the same set up in the Churchill, possibly with the charge lead connectors behind the pannier hatches.
I have added some photos to show my set up in the Tiger for those newbies who are getting the early Tiger 1.

Regards
Gary
Gave me a chance to clean up inside, I did manage to lose more nuts under the battery tray
Gave me a chance to clean up inside, I did manage to lose more nuts under the battery tray
Access to XT60 charge leads via rear cover
Access to XT60 charge leads via rear cover
Noco 4 x 2 charger
Noco 4 x 2 charger

Gary Richardson

Good morning

It's time for Tiger to have a bit of maintenance, especially after the baby oil was blown out of the filler tube and gave the inside hull a nice smooth finish :( .
I will remove all the modules and battery holder so that I can check the axle locking bolts and suspension travel. Upol degreaser should take care of the baby oil and I will probably change the smoke unit for the newer type as it takes up less room and is more realistic. I will also add the FrSky FAS100 ADV current sensor I got some time ago, thanks Adrian for showing me it on your Sturmtiger.

Regards
Gary
Tiger winter maintainance.jpg

Gary Richardson

Good morning all

I finally started on the Tiger maintenance for the year, hopefully I will get some dry weather to sort out the drive issue which I think is caused by me accidently altering the settings :?
I removed the batteries, smoker and floor pan, all of which needed the baby oil removing from them. I had forgotten to put the smoke filler tube bung in when doing filming last year. I also found the clear tube to the smoker metal connection was loose although it was very tight when I originally put it together. I think the heat caused it to harden and become loose. I have now used a motorcycle hose clip to secure it. The smoker was stripped down and degreased before being reassembled using the black silicone I got with the Churchill smoke units. The copper fittings also got a coating of silicone for the joints. I will probably get the new style smoke unit and change the old one out.
I have added the FrSky FAS100ADV current sensor between the batteries and the relay switch which required the larger XT90 size connectors to be soldered in line. Thanks Adrian for confirming the correct position to install the sensor :D
I am happy to say all the suspension bolts I had used with the torsion bars were still nice and secure which I think justified the decision to use then instead of the grub screws as the suspension took quite a pounding during the three days of filming. The baby oil had caused quite a mess and took Upol degreaser to remove it ( the crew are upset as they liked the smooth feeling) and Upol doesn't damage the paint.
As I write this I have just realised I didn't secure the smoker element properly which has a habit of working loose . The new units have a metal fitting that makes sure it doesn't move. This will entail removing the turret and decks again to get at it, I just use a small cable tie which worked ok last time.
I now need to go through the programming to find out what went wrong as the left turns are definitely out of kilter. It also struggles to turn on grass so maybe I need to try adding an exponential curve for the drive settings :? , I drove Adrian's Sturm Tiger last year and it was very smooth and incredibly easy to turn on grass which is what I need to aim for. If I can get it sorted I will use the same programming for the Churchill.

P.S
I managed to add the cable tie without removing the decks so that was a quick win :D

Regards
Gary
Tiger being stripped down.
Tiger being stripped down.
Smoker and floor pan being removed.
Smoker and floor pan being removed.
FAS100ADV current monitor in situ
FAS100ADV current monitor in situ
smoker rebuilt and hose clip added
smoker rebuilt and hose clip added