My Tiger 1 diary.

Forum for discussion relating to Tiger 1, Mid, Early, Late Production and Sturmtiger
Ed Groenenberg
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 608 times

A bit of R & R

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

As I had 2 weeks off around X-Mas, I did spend some time in the shed making some chairs for the table.
The I also got 2 more Dragon dolls in, so I did make a simple setup of a day R & R for some soldiers.

I also made some 'Verrechnunchsschein Reichsmark' paper money using some semi transparent paper I had lying around (yes, it's in 1/6 scale).
R & R time
R & R time
R & R time
R & R time
R & R time
R & R time
R & R time
R & R time
You only live once., use it to the max!

Ed Groenenberg

Ammunition box for shells/cartridges

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

In one of the pictures in this tread, a stack of ammo boxes are shown.
So, I decided to make one, acting like a prototype for now as I had to calculate it's measurements.
Made of strips of Pine for now, but want to use a bit more dens type of wood for the next ones,
as I want to make a stack similar to the one in the picture posted earlier.
Crate
Crate
Crate with casing.
Crate with casing.
The color used for spaying is 'Dunkel Grau' (Dark Grey) as ued by the Wehrmacht.
Not sure if it was the proper color for these type of crates tough.

No markings yet. Is there a way to make reusable paint stencils with markings?
Last edited by Ed Groenenberg on Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Re: My Tiger 1 diary.

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Is there a way to make reusable paint stencils with markings?
One could try drawing it in CAD and then 3d print the stencil.

Vince

Ed Groenenberg

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Vince Cutajar wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:29 am
Is there a way to make reusable paint stencils with markings?
One could try drawing it in CAD and then 3d print the stencil.

Vince
Would that work on such small letters & symbols? That would surprise me a lot.

Ed Groenenberg

Special delivery

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

A special delivery for me today.
A whopping 93 cm long piece of kit.
A whopping 93 cm long piece of kit.

Ed Groenenberg

Meanwhile....

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Kommandant, die Munition wurde aufgefüllt, ebenso wie die Rauchgranaten, von denen eine übrig ist.
Kommandant, die Munition wurde aufgefüllt, ebenso wie die Rauchgranaten, von denen eine übrig ist.

Ed Groenenberg

Nebel Kerze

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Well, the box for the Nebel Kerze I amde a few days earlier is wrong. They are not stored in a crate of 9 but in a crate of 12.

As they are originally 9 by 15 centimeters, the scaled ones would be 15 x 25 mm.
Fortunately, household plumbing here is made of copper pipes and those have an outher diameter of 15mm.

A nice job to try out my other new purchase, a Myford S7 lathe.

12 sections of 24mm long were made, as well as 24 small squares from thin copper sheet.
A bit of soldering completed the job, and a bit of sanding was all what was needed to complete them.

Next is to paint them, but that's for another day.
nebel_kerze_cansisters.jpg

Ed Groenenberg

A little repair

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

When I got my Tiger 1, 2 small pieces of one of the hinges on the top plate had damaged corners.
I got some 'Kafuter' epoxy mix and applied it to rebuild these 2 corners and let it cure overnight.

The picture shows the 2 corners after carefully remove some excess material using a Dremel.

Only a little bit of fine tuning and a touch of paint to finish it off.

At least this deck plate moves again as it was intended to.
SAM_5864k.JPG

Ed Groenenberg

Animatronics

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

It's been a bit silent from my side lately, but a bit ow works has been done last few days.

A while ago, I ordered a Cupola ring, a base and a body shell kit from Churchill Creations.
The package arrived some time after that, and the it turned out that the Cupola rings set was too big for my version.
I had a chat with Sym and he would make a new base for me which I got a little while ago.

But.... it was 2 mm to wide for the inner ring of the cover of the Cupola :(
I was wondering if I could shave off 1 mm of the radius by placing it in the lathe and carefully trim it down.
Alas, PLA plastic is not my friend, using a low rev speed and a new cutting bit, a piece broke off....
base_on2.jpg
Broken base and the new one.

Next was to make a replacement for the aluminum tube which holds the body on the base.
It was a bit loose to my tasting, so I had a look in the miscellaneous screw & bolt box.
A nice one was found, and had the proper diameter. I only needed to turn the end into a flange
and cut it to the required length. The new rod fits snugly into the cradle and is kept in place by itself.
base_body2.jpg
Body and new rod.

And this is how it looks at the moment.
body_in_cupola2.jpg
Next step, some basic moves to program on the Pulolu controller.

Ed Groenenberg

Animatronics - part 2

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Okay, some more work on my animatronic unit.

After some test runs with simple movements, I notices that the right arm kept disconnected from the servo (I did not use the little screw yet).
The left arm did not have this problem, so it looks like the jacket is too thick.

I carefully did cut away the inner lining, and it also had some inner sleeves as well, which were loose. The jacket also had some
shoulder padding, which was removed carefully as well. Now, the left arm keeps attached, and the movements are also easier.
Dragon certainly did do a good job in making the clothing.
Another little improvement was to use 2 2mm bolts for keeping the lower arm in place. The little rods which came with the kit just kept falling out.
arms_jacket2.jpg

Next was to find a solution for all the wiring loom, it's rather messy when the cables are everywere.
I made another disc from a left over pieces of HPL and used a Dremel to cut some openings in both the top and bottom cups.
The bottom cup is also kept in place using 3 3mm bolts. It also allows the arm which moves the body left/right to move freely.
Lat step was to remove the extension cables and for that I made a space under the bottom cup by making a stand and a back
for the Pulolu controller card.. Now I can lower the while unit through the hatch opening of the Cupola.
base_electronics2.jpg

The commander as seen from the front (hands not attached, this will be the next job).
anim_unit.jpg

Ed Groenenberg

Unscheduled maintenance

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Well, after a great weekend in Overloon at Millitracks, my Tiger got some 'battle damage' during the toy crushing on
last Saturday as can be seen in Kian's video below.

Now, as we go as a small group to an event in Denmark on the 20th, some work needs to be done on the tank to make it fully working again.
Damage so far : one broken section of the front swing-arm / suspension and one broken tyre.
Some emergency repair was done on Saturday afternoon (a lot of people were just watching the process), by removing the entire
suspension assembly of the wheel.

I only needed to get some loctite and M4 cylinder bolts (some bolts are to long in the tank, I'll replace them where needed.

Today the wheels were removed, the tracks were opened up and the left motor was removed for easier access.
Also the idler wheels were set forward, as there was not much tensioning left. I'll remove one (maybe 2) track links to get the [proper slack on the tracks.
The removal of the tracks also revealed that some scraping was visible on the outer housing of the big gear, this could als be the reason why
the track kept getting out of the sprockets once and a while.

Tomorrow the all the tyres will be checked on their fixation on the rim, some of them can be removed very easily.
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-01.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-02.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-03.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-11.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-13.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-14.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-16.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-18.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-19.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-20.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-21.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-23.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-24.jpg
photo_2022-05-16_20-31-25.jpg

Ed Groenenberg

Axle trouble

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Well, for those who have seen my tank making a bounce in the Armortek video above the previous post,
I used my last spare (cast aluminum) swing-arm piece to rebuild the complete axle.

Last weekend I was with 4 other members of our club in Denmark, were we had a great weekend (thank you Steen & Co.!)
My tank did not run too well, the double wheel on the replace axle was hopping the teeth on the links, and it made sometimes
some weird clacking noises.

Today I disassembled the tank so remove the right track and see what could case this odd behavior.
There were 3 issues.
1 - the tension bar was not fully tightened at the axle end - easy fix.
2 - the swing-arm was not fully moved in, there was a space of 1 mm between the hull and the swing-arm - easy fix.
3 - after fixing 1 & 2, the wheel still looked odd, and a closer look revealed that is was not perpendicular to the hull......
the cause of this problem is that the tread in the upper part of the aluminum is not at a 90 degree, 2 degrees off
and so causing the double wheel to stick out further at the track side than the other double wheels.
There is about a 5 mm difference between the first double wheel and the 2nd.

As I have no other swing-arm parts left, a replacement is ordered, I hope I get it delivered soon, so the tank is ready for the next
local event in 2 weeks time.
Last edited by Ed Groenenberg on Thu May 26, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Ed, the very early Tiger kits had those cast swing arms which are next to useless, they were often drilled out of square to, the newer kits have very nice machined aluminum arms which are drilled straight and true, best you replace all of them when you get a chance.
I quite enjoy this type of repair work it's very therapeutic and rewarding. Phil

Phil
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

This shows how out of true these old suspension arms can be. And that's just one side, so the error can be doubled up :roll: :shock:

DSCF2801a.jpg

Best thing to do when buying one of these old kits is to order a nice set of the CNC machined arms from Armortek.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Ed Groenenberg

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:41 pm
This shows how out of true these old suspension arms can be. And that's just one side, so the error can be doubled up :roll: :shock:

Best thing to do when buying one of these old kits is to order a nice set of the CNC machined arms from Armortek.

Adrian.
@Phil and Adrian, yes, my last spare one looked like the middle one if the picture.
2 Replacement ones have been ordered (part of another order from another team member)