Universal Carrier Tracks

Forum for discussion relating to the Universal Carrier
Graham P Hough
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 193 times

Universal Carrier Tracks

Post by Graham P Hough »

Good morning Universal Carrier builders. I would like to know your experiences of running the tracks with the split pins or the Dave's precision track pins.
I have found that the very slight variations in the track castings are exaggerated by the precision pins pushing and twisting my tracks out of alignment which results in the tracks coming off the sprocket.
Are the original split pins are working successfully for you and/or are the precision pins working successfully for you?
Still a great kit and as has been said before these changes are no criticism of the original kit it is just we like to fiddle!

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: Universal Carrier Tracks

Post by Dennis Jones »

Graham,

Someone else emailed me to say the problem with the the solid pins was causing the tracks to bend. I have just complete installing the 2 motor drive and am very pleased with the result even running on 7.2 volts but I am awaiting 12 volt 10 amp battery and 2 x 12 volt esc's.

I have a problem for some reason more on the rhs with the sprocket coming out of the holes in the track particularly when trying to turn or in reverse, I am down to 155 links at the moment but wondering whether to put a few more back in. I also found the rear bogey was not lining up correctly with the sprocket.

I would like to copy Pete Withers answer to remake the sprocket and also a spacer to keep the track in the centre of the sprocket but it seems like a lot of work and I have 2 kits to modify. I must admit the 2 motor option has transformed the handling particularly at low speed.

Dennis.

Peter Withers
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Universal Carrier Tracks

Post by Peter Withers »

There is a definite benefit in adding the rings either side of the sprocket as I did with the 8mm pitch conversion. Even under extreme duress the tracks stay on. However, it is worth noting that the sort of strain that is trying to throw a track off is not good for the tracks or drivetrain. Short grass certainly causes some horrible things to happen(this is short grass shot through with clover, daisies, dandelions and sundry other remarkably tough weeds). Longer grass paradoxically seems better but still not so great.

I have noticed also that there were some links that didn't want to engage with the 8mm sprockets, a few minutes with a file taking off teh moulding flash on the links seems to have cured that.

Pete