Sherman M4A3 HVSS Build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Andy Walker
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: Sherman M4A3 HVSS Build

Post by Andy Walker »

Been attempting some detailing on commanders cupola / hatch and loaders hatch. Access to hand tools and Dremel only so limited as to what I can achieve. Hopefully not too bad.
Sherman Number 1.jpg
Attachments
Sherman Number 3.jpg
Sherman Number 2.jpg

Chang
Has liked: 14960 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Chang »

Nice details.
Just curiosity : The Tiger 1 line drawing underneath, is simply a large printed paper, or a PVC Cutting Mat?

Regards,
Lerh Chang
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1195 times
Been liked: 1382 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Andy Walker

Post by Andy Walker »

Chang wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:36 am
Nice details.
Just curiosity : The Tiger 1 line drawing underneath, is simply a large printed paper, or a PVC Cutting Mat?

Regards,
Lerh Chang
Hi,
its a large cutting mat. I got it from Bovington Tank Museum online shop.

Antony Selwood
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Antony Selwood »

Andy Walker wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:55 pm
I've a query about the elevation actuator setup. As supplied the 'piston' appears to have too much travel. Once fitted I think it will continue to travel after the barrel assembly has reached its limit of travel in both directions. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so is there a way to alter/adjust the amount of 'piston' travel. I have tried to do this by adjusting servo travel on transmitter but all this does is slow the speed of the 'piston' down, it doesn't alter travel distance.
Hi Andy,

Did you ever get an answer to this or find a solution yourself?

GlenStenhouse
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by GlenStenhouse »

Hi Andy,

It cannot be controlled by servo end points. It is looking for an on off signal in each direction. The only way to limit travel is change the piston or make stops, either in the turret or in the piston itself (much harder). When you use it you can see pretty quick when it's time to stop elevation though.

Andy Walker

Post by Andy Walker »

Antony Selwood wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:58 pm
Andy Walker wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:55 pm
I've a query about the elevation actuator setup. As supplied the 'piston' appears to have too much travel. Once fitted I think it will continue to travel after the barrel assembly has reached its limit of travel in both directions. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so is there a way to alter/adjust the amount of 'piston' travel. I have tried to do this by adjusting servo travel on transmitter but all this does is slow the speed of the 'piston' down, it doesn't alter travel distance.
Hi Andy,

Hi,
it seems that as Glen states, its just a matter of observing the travel of the barrel and manually judging when to stop movement. I just hope that misjudging this doesn't end up in damage.

Antony Selwood

Post by Antony Selwood »

Hi Andy,

Just a thought, would it be a good idea to fit an inline fuse in the Actuator wiring?, if the Tx stick is left in the up position too long as you say this could burn out the actuator.

Andy Walker

Post by Andy Walker »

Antony Selwood wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:04 pm
Hi Andy,

Just a thought, would it be a good idea to fit an inline fuse in the Actuator wiring?, if the Tx stick is left in the up position too long as you say this could burn out the actuator.
That's a possibility for people that are electrically savvy I suppose. I was considering altering the lever mechanism so that the end travel of actuator corresponded with the end travel of the barrel, but this would severely reduce rate of movement of the barrel. Still pondering options. May just have to leave it as it is.

Antony Selwood

Post by Antony Selwood »

Andy Walker wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:04 am
Antony Selwood wrote:
Hi Andy,

That's a possibility for people that are electrically savvy I suppose. I was considering altering the lever mechanism so that the end travel of actuator corresponded with the end travel of the barrel, but this would severely reduce rate of movement of the barrel. Still pondering options. May just have to leave it as it is.
Hi Andy,

Maybe some electrical savvy person here or @Armortek can advise. Trying to fit an external limit switch does not appear to be an easy option.
There may also be the possibility of setting up an audio voice alert on stick position on Open tx.

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3058 times

Post by Armortek »

Antony Selwood wrote:
............. if the Tx stick is left in the up position too long as you say this could burn out the actuator.
Easiest thing to do is change the THROTTLE lever on your radio so that it self centres.

Lots of youtube videos on how to do this:

Frsky Taranis works pretty much like the Spektrum DX
Armortek