UC37 mk1 twin drive

Forum for discussion relating to the Universal Carrier
Richard Sharp
Been liked: 26 times

UC37 mk1 twin drive

Post by Richard Sharp »

Finally got around to posting my ideas for a Universal carrier, I always wanted a Mk1 but it does mean quit a bit of modding to change a Mk3 back to a Mk1
Luckily the UC never change radically over it's life, Also the best thing about the UC is there aren’t two the same looking at historical photo’s. Anyway this is my version of the twin drive and amazingly it’s all fitted under the engine cover two motors, batteries, speed controllers. I’ve got the elevon mixing switched on and it look like it’ll drive like my Tiger.
It’s really great to see other people’s ideas and modelling skills especially Mr Amorpax I’ll be contacting him soon for some of his great parts. Keep up the good work and thanks to Armortek.
Attachments
UC006.jpg
UC005.jpg
UC004.jpg
UC003.jpg
UC002.jpg
UC001.jpg

Graham P Hough
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: UC37 mk1 twin drive

Post by Graham P Hough »

Beautiful work, I do like your solution to the use of twin motors. What are 90 degree gearboxes?

Peter Withers
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Peter Withers »

Very nice indeed. Puts my horrible workmanship to shame. Is there a reduction ratio in the 90 degree gearboxes? I'll be very interested to see how it runs. Hopefully I'll have mine debugged by then.

Pete

Richard Sharp

Post by Richard Sharp »

The L gearboxes are all me own work they have a 2:1 reduction in side I’d of liked 3:1 but the design was too bulky and you needed to cut lumps out of the rear bulkhead. Just putting the track together now so I’ll know how she runs soon.

Rich

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

Really nice, reminiscent of a hot rod conversion, 8) certainly not going to have a problem with power now.
Not wishing to be a party pooper,. Do you think gearbox noise is going to be an issue having two side by side? The single drive version has not really been seen yet with the Armortek sound option yet unless I missed it and that whines a bit. Will you be looking at sound proofing or adding amplification to the mini sound module?. Also wondering about the battery type and placement now that your building a mk1 that doesn't have the large accessible hamper space on the rear.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

I am using a 50 watt amplifier so no problem with noise. Although rated at 12 to 18 volts it works well with 7.2 volts.

Dennis.

Richard Sharp

Post by Richard Sharp »

It’s difficult to gauge the noise until I get outdoors with it, there’s no space for sound deadening what space there is will help with cooling, the bin on the back only holds the rc receiver and the sound module. The battery packs are hard case lipo 2S 5000mAh. Hopefully get the tracks finished today and see how it runs I haven’t loctited all the gearbox parts yet just do some trial runs then a strip down and inspect for any wear.
Attachments
Not much space in here!!
Not much space in here!!

John Clarke
Been liked: 1709 times

Post by John Clarke »

Looking forward to hear how it goes Richard, it's control gear is certainly packed in. Surprisingly this model has space to spare and the enterprising engineering is really interesting to see.
With so much more power available, the twin drives will stand out from the standard builds, again it'll be interesting to see how they perform together. Will neutral steer be prohibited :lol:
I still think motor gearbox whine could be a problem, thinking sound insulation and suppression would be a way forward other than trying to drown it out especially around other models.
Artificial Model sound can soon dissipate in open space and it's a shame that planetary gearboxes can be so noisy, I think I would have liked to have seen a Quad like motor gear box system, who knows one might turn up in the future.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type