Track orientation Panzer iii / Stug iii

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
LesBernell
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 34 times

Track orientation Panzer iii / Stug iii

Post by LesBernell »

I was looking at the track orientation (Perspective from the leading edge of the track) and I noticed that different sources have different orientation.
I have 2 WWII photos that show the recesses in the track that form an "W". Or, the inside recess is an upside down "U", depending how you look at it.
I have a picture of a restored tank, and the drawing of the front details from Armortek, and they both show the recesses in the track that form an "M". Or, the inside recess is a "U".
Can anyone comment on their thoughts on the orientation?
Attachments
Museum Prototype
Museum Prototype
Prototypefront 2.jpg (69.07 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Armortek
Armortek
Prototype
Prototype
Prototype front 3.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Prototype
Prototype
Prototype front 1.jpg (48.81 KiB) Viewed 2892 times

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Re: Track orientation Panzer iii / Stug iii

Post by Stephen White »

Les, yes.

As the tank lays the track, moving forward, it applies a force to the track which pushes it backwards in relation to the ground. The horizontal bars on the tracks, the GROUSERS, resist that force by increasing the track grip or friction. The triangular bits sticking out either side, the SPUDS, are reinforcements to prevent the grousers from deforming under load. They need to be on the opposite side to the direction the track is being pushed ie as the tank moves forward, in front. Looked at from the front, they should be above the grousers, ie as you describe it, an M.

The two wartime photos above, as you’d expect, have got it right.

The top photo is the Saumer Pz III, which is doing things differently. (I’m being tactful).

John Clarke
Been liked: 1625 times

Post by John Clarke »

Maybe they were fitted that way for a rear guard action. :D

The Crusaders are coming ! :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

I was looking earlier for a photo of the Bovington Pz IIIL, which has the tracks as described above and shown in your wartime photos.
P1010594 copy.jpg
John, I wasn't going to speculate about some nations preferring a high reverse.........

Before anyone picks me up, I should add that on post war British tanks such as Centurion and Chieftain, the tracks are fitted with the grousers trailing as the track passes forward on the top run, ie the opposite way round. I have no idea why this is the case other than to suggest it has something to do with maximising traction, particularly on tracks with pads.

LesBernell
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by LesBernell »

Stephen White wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:34 am
Les, yes.

As the tank lays the track, moving forward, it applies a force to the track which pushes it backwards in relation to the ground. The horizontal bars on the tracks, the GROUSERS, resist that force by increasing the track grip or friction. The triangular bits sticking out either side, the SPUDS, are reinforcements to prevent the grousers from deforming under load. They need to be on the opposite side to the direction the track is being pushed ie as the tank moves forward, in front. Looked at from the front, they should be above the grousers, ie as you describe it, an M.

The two wartime photos above, as you’d expect, have got it right.

The top photo is the Saumer Pz III, which is doing things differently. (I’m being tactful).
Stephen,
It's always good to know "why" they are orientated this way, not just "how" they are oriented.
I really appreciate your explanation.
Les

John Clarke
Been liked: 1625 times

Post by John Clarke »

Stephen
But the thought crossed your mind did'nt it! :D

The British themselves have had some cracking rear guard actions turning many into famous victories.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

florian rudolf
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 635 times

Post by florian rudolf »

At the Famo I had the same question. - Some Photos in the right way, some te other way round. - I think at the StuG it does'nt matter. Actually I would choose the way from the original Photos.

cheers
Florian