My build

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
Paul Cundy
Been liked: 1 time

My build

Post by Paul Cundy »

Hallo, here are some of the mods i've made to my build. I am afraid I have never been a fan of the motion packs so I decided on my own version. For the machine gun elevate and traverse I used two micro servos mounted on a plate that sits between the hinge EP0524 and the brass bearer EP0523. I am using a DID Dragon 1/6th scale Vickers machine gun from e-bay but I used the Armortek one for the mock up in the photo. The left hand wire frame provides elevation and the right hand servo traverse, photos are self explanatory.

Mounting these on a plate keeps the mechanism clear of the turret rotation system. This a continuous motion servo with a rubber wheel mounted that presses on the inner ring of the lazy Susan EP0406. I did the opposite to Armortek, I fixed EP0406 via its outer ring to the cabin permanently. My turret needed washers as thin spacers between EP0406 and EPO407 to stip the bottom edge of the turret binding on the cabin. I then bonded shorter M4 bolts through EP047 that locate into EPO406 and the weight of the turret and gravity keep it on. You could bolt it down using a screw countersunk into the underside of EP0406 so as to avoid it fouling the rubber wheel as it turns. The servo carrier is a modified alloy DIY shelf support which hinges at the front end around one of the bolts that holds EP0406 down and at the other end rides over long M4 bolt bonded to the side of the cabin and is held under variable tension against the lazy Susan with a nut and a spring. The shelf support’s flat top lying against the underside of the roof of the cabin keeps the servo aligned vertically. Please see the photos.

I got the parts; FEETECH continuous rotation servo FS5106R prt no 3430 and the 3mm axle large rubber wheel prt no RW2-3MM from Active Robots. The rubber tyre from the wheel very conveniently is a tight fit over the round output wheel supplied with the servo. If it ever starts to slip I’ll superglue it on.

For the steering I made up a replacement of the steering arm EP0229 from flat steel that has an upper extension arm. This links to a high torque Spektrum servo bolted to the floor of the cabin, again see the photo.

I am an electric flyer so I have loads of lipo batteries so for forward and reverse speed control of the Armortek supplied motor and gearbox I used a marine brushed motor controller that can be configured for lipos, it also has a braking function. I think it can be programmed to have a differential reverse but I achieved that by restricting the travel for reverse on my transmitter. A 6 cell 22 volt 5,000 mAh battery will last for yonks. The controller is an Mtronics Viper Marine 15. You’ll also note that in the photos I replaced the metal parts of the rear body with balsa to more accurately replicate the real thing.

Paul Cundy
Been liked: 1 time

Re: My build

Post by Paul Cundy »

Dear All,
Looks like I made a mess of adding photos. So here is a link to them all

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rahYJquLksQ1Dn2Y9

Where is the hot tip on how to get a photo added into the text of a post? I did the drag and drop and the system says the files were uploaded but no idea where?

Regards
Paul C