Lazy Susan - turntable

An unofficial resource of techniques, information and best practice to help you get most from your Armortek model.
AlastairCooke
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 595 times

Lazy Susan - turntable

Post by AlastairCooke »

Hi All,
I am preparing my work space to start a Tiger 1 (F01) build. I wish to use a `lazy susan' somewhere in the mix; either bolted directly to the hydraulic table or on top of the pad lift I have got. If anyone could give me some advice here I would appreciate it, especially what type of bearing to use and where to source it.

Alastair
Alastair
Tiger 1 (2015 #01 with 2012 parts)

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Re: Lazy Susan - turntable

Post by Pete Nash »

Hi Alastair

I would think its not so much the bearing in the middle you want to worry about, its the weight bearing on the periphery that does.

The Tiger is a heavy bit of machinery, more so once the motors and batteries are fitted, so I would suggest you add rollers around the circumference of the Lazy Susan to take that weight and relieve stresses on the central pillar and bearing.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi Alastair

Below is an Armortek photo of the 2017 Tiger 1. As you can see they are using a lazy susan and a large spacer over it. Both these items were part of the kit used for the turret turn mechanism but I don't know how much weight that bearing can support.
25299679_10155977759658792_2404308445921593434_o.jpg
Vince

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Those pressed steel ones are ideal for what Alastair needs and they are not expensive at all.

That website also shows the aluminium bearings like the ones in the kit and was surprised at the maximum load rating. Quite a lot.

Vince

Liam Mahoney
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 231 times

Post by Liam Mahoney »

Hi Alastair
I have one more rotisserie left if your interested.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6367&p=53939&hilit= ... rie#p53939

Liam

AlastairCooke
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by AlastairCooke »

Thanks All,
I have placed an order for a bearing as suggested by Stephen.

Alastair
Alastair
Tiger 1 (2015 #01 with 2012 parts)

John-Heaps
Been liked: 15 times

Post by John-Heaps »

Hi Stephen,
i have identified a motorbike lift like the one you pictured which i will purchase. what size of lazy susan bearing did you use please,(lots of sizes on the link) and thanks for putting in the link of where to buy them, saves a lot of time searching, BTW i will be building a KT when i get it as a slight delay has been announced by Monique, but judging by the load rating on the bearings all should be totally fine but i was thinking on stability for the area of the bearing in relation to the lift base.

Thanks
Regards
John

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

John, you need the 9" round:
lsr.jpg
lsr.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Bolt the lazy susan to the underside of the motor-cycle lift and bolt a suitable piece of MDF to the top. That's designed to spread the load on the hull undersurface.

I drilled the two base flanges of the motor cycle lift with corresponding holes in the lift table and used a couple of M8 set screws dropped in to locate the lift onto the correct position on the table. You can leave these bolts loose to make removal quick.

In use with a fully built tank, lower the MC lift, slide the MC lift under the hull and locate with the positioning set screws. Jack up the hull with an extended ratchet socket and place two lengths of "four be two" under the tracks. I then lower the tank until the tracks are just resting on the wooden rests but with the weight off the suspension. This is a good thing to do for all models for longer term storage but particularly for those with torsion bar suspension. For maintenance, you can then raise the tank to run the tracks or to move it off the table, lower the tank onto the rests, remove the MC lift and then drive the tank off the table via motor cycle or wheelchair ramps. I'll take a couple of photos tomorrow.

I ought to complete writing the Knowledge Base topic on the subject of moving the models, which I'll do sometime.

John-Heaps

Post by John-Heaps »

Hi Stephen,
many thanks for your full reply, a great help as to the why and where for to a novice to Armortek, all hints and tips greatfully recieved s i can learn from your hard earned knowledge.

Many thanks
John

John-Heaps

Post by John-Heaps »

Hi Stephen,
lift bought and bearing ordered, now just have to wait for my KT,
Thanks for your advise.

Regards
John

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3059 times

Post by Armortek »

Prompted by Alastair's original question, I've now updated the Knowledge Base Topic on moving models, here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... 044#p49293

It might seem a bit basic to the old hands but I hope will be useful guidance to those starting out. As ever, there are many ways to do this and, as the Knowledge Base is supposed to be a place for collective best practice, it would be good to cover other options. Please comment or add suggestions to broaden the base of knowledge on this or any other topic.

Thanks. Stephen
Armortek