Six Spoke Grant Wheels

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Six Spoke Grant Wheels

Post by Pete Nash »

Practically every image of Grants and Lees show them with 5 spoke wheels.
These two images show Grants with 6 spoke wheels. can anyone give a clue as to the date and location tghe images were taken, and when the change from 5 to six spokes took place

OR.... were six spokes specific to a particular M3A?
Attachments
6 spoke grant.jpg
6 spoke grant.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
This Grant appears to exhibit a camouflage used about the time of the Battle of Gazala and the first use of the Grant, similar to that of the Grant at Bovy
This Grant appears to exhibit a camouflage used about the time of the Battle of Gazala and the first use of the Grant, similar to that of the Grant at Bovy

Chris Hall
Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 666 times

Re: Six Spoke Grant Wheels

Post by Chris Hall »

Pete -

I think it's a pretty complex question ......

I've just looked through Chamberlain / Ellis, Gander, and the Zaloga Osprey. The pictures are low-res, but they seem to show a confusion of 5 spokes, 6 spokes and 6 spoke solids across the whole range M3 to M3A5. Of course the Grant turret was only used on the 'basic' M3, although the Osprey has a picture of an M3A2 (of which only 12 were made) with a Grant turret.

I suspect it's all tied up with production of early variants of the M4 Sherman, which overlapped the M3 and involved most of the same companies. I doubt there's a single answer but, by looking at monthly build figures, I'd guess the early 5 spokes were eased out of production by mid-1942, probably replaced pretty quickly by 6 spoke solids, which were much easier to cast. This would apply to new tanks only - any survivors (and, as we know, some Grants made it to Burma in 1944/45) might well continue on their original running gear, unless it was changed in the field, possibly from a cannibalised Sherman.

Hope this helps,

Chris
(who is finding the M3 more fascinating the further you dig into it !)
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)