Adrian's Grant #2

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Adrian's Grant #2

Post by Adrian Harris »

With such nice weather I've decided to take a break from the Tiger and delve into the Grant.

So far I've filled the suspension arms (M3 left the factory with solid arms rather than the pocketed ones on the M4):

20190415_145044a.jpg

They were filled with P38 car body filler, then topped off with Upol Glaze to get them absolutely smooth. I still need to re-profile the ends, flatten the underside of the spring pockets and add the bolt head for the slider pad.

Next was the final drive casing. I must admit I uttered a few choice words when I saw it had been chamfered instead of filleted, but it's very easy to build up the correct curved edge using more car body filler.

20190415_145023a.jpg

I used a wood rasp to take off the high points, then a wet bath and 120 grit wet&dry paper to work the putty back to the required profile. I still need to sand back the machining marks and add the grub screw drain plugs in each side.

Next I moved onto the bogies. I've created the correct rounded profile between the top and the front face, using a cheap electric file to take the bulk of the material off, then hand files and thin strips of emery cloth to round off and blend in the profile.

20190415_145130a.jpg

The tops of the webs still need to be rounded to the correct radius, plus the centre two need the step building up a curved profile. I'm still wondering whether to create the two cut outs in the upper webs :? .

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Re: Adrian's Grant #2

Post by florian rudolf »

Some work to do Adrian :D

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Pete Nash »

Disagree with you about the suspension arms Adrian
Attachments
IMG_3336.JPG

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

OOOOPS!!!!

Proceeding to Specsavers :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Other Opticians are available !

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Pete
Surly the part Adrian has filled is the part that goes on top of the slide pads
in which case he is correct no slots.

If its the actual moving arms then you are correct it has slots :oops:

As per your photo.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Yeh, I got it wrong Derek, that's why I'm off to Specsavers and joined a reading class :oops: :oops: :oops:

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
we must stop making stupid predictions

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

its one of those tanks that there seems to be a lot of parts sharing on the bogie/wheel set ups etc,
a1d04afa53b8426eb6a37fda79746793.jpg
800px-M31-ARV-batey-haosef-2.jpg
800px-M31-ARV-batey-haosef-2.jpg (91.35 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
9268312078_4b85f1e3a2_b.jpg
[attachment=3]9268312078_4b85f1e3a2_b.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
9268312586_c6cd192d89_b.jpg

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Indeed, though restorations tend to scavenge more widely than would occur in WW2.

In the beginning, when the M3 was first in service, there weren't many Shermans from which to scavenge parts.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

another interesting picture, especially the chair!!!
GrantDuoSicilywStuartRecce_03.jpg

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Can't wait till they fire that 75mm and the turret gets blown off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortunately, it's a wooden mock-up to hide the fact that that's a Command Tank with radios instead of guns.

M4 running gear throughout.

Adrian.

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Another view of the same tank A Star on the turret roof to let American Pilots know it 'one of ours'.
Otherwise.....No Star it not ours, shoot it up....

The image is said to have been taken in Sicily, which may account for the absence of Dust Shield and different tracks Also, it looks as if its German 'Jerry cans' in add-on racks over the idlers, as well as a smaller stowage locker on the right side.

And, is that a totally different exhaust arrangement?
Another thing I've noticed.....There is what appears to be a rolled up canvas on the rear deck over where the grill for the engine cooling air intake would be. If so the normal modified aircraft radial engine would overheat. It suggests that this tank is one of those fitted with the General Motors Diesel Engine and is an M3A5/Grant II?
Attachments
GrantDuoSicilywStuartRecce_04.jpg

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

The flat rear plate with the slot at the bottom is certainly indicative of it being a diesel powered tank.

M3A3 and M3A5 had vented access panels in the centre of the engine desk, the same as the Sherman, so it would be behind that canvas.
Maybe the rear stowage has just been dumped there after a night under canvas ?

The radial engined M3/M4 had a bad reputation for generating such a vacuum in the engine bay that they sucked air in from the crew compartment. Handy in the summer, fatal in the winter.

Also, because they vented the cooling air out under the rear hull plate overhang, they created their own ghibli from the dust stirred up by the tracks.

Adrian.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Whilst at Bovington yesterday, I dropped in to see their M3 Grant, and take some measurements of fasteners etc. Having seen the tank close up again, I decided I had to attempt the cutouts in the ribs on top of the bogies, as it's quite an important detail and will be visible between the tracks, especially in a Light Stone colour scheme.

Having marked out the shapes by hand, I chain drilled the main parts of the holes, then used needle files to link the holes and open out the cutouts.

Bogie.jpg

The one at the back is the hardest, due to the material left behind in the radius from the main machining. I think it needs to be a couple of millimetres higher, to bring the profile more in line with the original.

I've found a Dremel on high speed and with a gentle touch will remove more material than the needle files, so will give that a go on the next one.

1 down, 11 to go :roll:

Adrian.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

A couple more sets of parts off the lathe. Lucky I saved the CNC programs from working on Shermans :lol:

12 replacement axles, including a better representation of the outer bolt head, plus the central hole. I did ponder threading this but the ones in the Grant didn't appear to be threaded, unless they're just covered with years of successive paint jobs.

Axles.JPG

And a set of 16.2mm diameter by 0.75mm thick washers. Purpose to be revealed later :wink:

Washers.JPG

Adrian.