Mike's M3 Lee #12 Little Build Things

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Stuart Faulkner
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Mike's M3 Lee #12 Little Build Things

Post by Stuart Faulkner »

All good stuff mike.
I have just discovered the hinge pins myself and I don’t think one of my doors will be opening in a hurry.

I must get round to updating my post. :wink:

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 818 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Mike, I had the self same problem with hinges while building my Rolls Royce. I destroyed three hinges...they are expensive to replace. So I cheated and fitted 'screws' through the hinges. It's wrong I know, however the screw hinge does not jam and unless you look closely....no one knows. You can also remove the screw easily....Mick :wink:

Chris Hall
Has liked: 482 times
Been liked: 635 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Mike -

Your tips might be "little build things", but they'll be vitally important when I get back to my build. So thanks, and keep 'em coming :).

As for the warnings about the hinges ..... makes me glad that I'm going to be 'welding' up the big side doors ! So only the rear engine hatches to worry about :wink:.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Mike Conley
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Mike Conley »

I've been making the leather straps but ran out of strips (only had one to begin with). It still needs 6 more little straps for the tools and I'll get'em done as soon as my order gets here. I've been weathering it but the scuffs, wear, streaks, etc. don't show up too good on here. I figure this M3 is about 98% done (but you know detailing NEVER finishes!) so I decided to take some pics.

Now that this build is complete I suddenly realized I'm OUT OF A JOB! After coffee and the news I usually head out to the garage and get busy! I better think of something or my little sweet MSgt (ret.) wife will DEFINATELY think of stuff for me to do!!…

I have this Panzer IV I built about 3 years ago and it still only has the base color... I think I'll get busy marking/weathering IT!

Anyway, with my simple skills (and LOTS of BEEER!) I did my best on this M3 Lee build and tried to make it look halfway decent...

Mike (the one in Kentucky!)
Attachments
MVC-151S.JPG
MVC-151S.JPG (40.06 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
MVC-156S.JPG
MVC-156S.JPG (41.97 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
MVC-157S.JPG
MVC-157S.JPG (39.99 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
MVC-155S.JPG
MVC-155S.JPG (41.15 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
MVC-159S.JPG
MVC-159S.JPG (38.49 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
Armorteks: King Tiger, Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, M4A3 Shermans x2, M3 Lee, Pershing, Sd Kfz 7, Pak 43.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1708 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Congratulations Mike on finishing the M3. It looks really good.

Vince

Mike Conley

Post by Mike Conley »

Here's a few more I took this morning. This early sun helps show more of the weathering and 'wear' I tried to do and if I had a better camera you could see more.

Mike
Attachments
MVC-167S.JPG
MVC-167S.JPG (40.31 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
MVC-166S.JPG
MVC-166S.JPG (38.8 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
MVC-164S.JPG
MVC-164S.JPG (40.54 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
MVC-162S.JPG
MVC-162S.JPG (40.98 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
MVC-163S.JPG
MVC-163S.JPG (41.58 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
Armorteks: King Tiger, Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, M4A3 Shermans x2, M3 Lee, Pershing, Sd Kfz 7, Pak 43.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Mike
I'd say that is much better than "half decent". Truly stunning build! Your details really paid off. That is a superb looking model. You knocked it out of the ballpark! Well done! Looking forward to what you do with the PZ4. Really fantastic M3!
Best regards, Bob

Mike Conley

Post by Mike Conley »

Thanks So Much for the kind words, you don't know how much I was worried about painting it. I enjoy building'em but the painting, marking, weathering, wear, is what I absolutely dread because I'm an IDIOT when it comes to paint details.

On the colors, I used Testers 1265 Flat Olive Drab for the overall spray but that's what I used on the Sherman. I didn't like how they were 'twins' in color so I somewhat figured out how to use this airbrush and sprayed less than one bottle of the 'Faded Olive Drab' (mixed 50/50) all over this M3.

For markings I didn't like all the BRIGHT yellows I could find but then remembered I DID have half can of CAT yellow, which is a deep, dark yellow. So after I had everything taped off, I sprayed. It's gloss but a later spray of tan spray 'dust' gets rid of the gloss. (I know I should hit the turret markings one more time but I'm lazy!)

Then it still looked like a CLEAN, new, faded M3... SO I had a 'few' cold ones out of the garage fridge (just to loosen up my spray arm ya understand), then held the can of tan camo spray about 18"-24" away and made fast side sweeping sprays, mostly low. When that was practically dry I used a wide house paint brush to make downward sweeps for streaks. That tan makes pretty good permanent 'dust'!

For the 'wear' I dipped my finger in a little dirty black thinner, rub it between my thumb & finger, then when it's almost dry rub it around where the crew would walk. Any shiney parts like the corner of the turret corners, commander MG turret rim, and tool box edges came from just rubbing them a LOT with my clean bare hands. In the mornings and every time I walked by it I'd just rub my fingers and palm against it for a second. That shines up the corners great and it looks like they've been worn. (and I still do that with the Sherman. Can't have too much 'wear'.)

Just wanted to share about how I stumbled along and painted this M3. Again, THANKS for the encouraging words on this build!

Mike (the one in Kentucky)
Attachments
MVC-169S.JPG
MVC-169S.JPG (39.99 KiB) Viewed 5055 times

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Mike
You are too hard on yourself - your M3 looks awesome. The yellow and blue markings look prefect (and nicely faded). I use the same Krylon camo for an overspray of dust on my models as well. It works great and only takes a couple minutes! You got some paint and weatherin skilz brother! I like a dark wood stain on the filler caps - it looks great over the dust for spilled fuel. See my Shermy pic below (note Krylon dust!)

Bob

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 818 times

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning Mike, it's been a real pleasure to follow your M3 build. Always interesting and informative. Looking forward to your next project....Mick