Phils Famo build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Phil Dawe
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Phils Famo build

Post by Phil Dawe »

Thanks for your table advice Phil. Do Intra have a sales agent in the UK?

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

You will have to Google it Phil, be interesting to know if they do?
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 268 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Phil Woollard wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:52 pm
I'm glad you like my build posts, it takes a lot of time to take photos, edit them, post and write something interesting! :shock:
It sure does! Maybe this is the right time to "bloat" your build log and thank you very much for taking this time and work to make an exceptionally interesting series. Beyond the very interesting vehicle, you really surprise us with ideas and skills as well, like the engine and engine bay. This is a vehicle far beyond the usual stuff! I wish I could see it in real life! :D
A little too much is about right...

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Some photos from the video i managed to shoot today before the Famo was crated up for shipping. Video to follow.

In conclusion towing a clapped out Tiger 1 range target with running gear issues with no drive train.

A single Armortek Famo can and will pull an Armortek Tiger 1, although it struggles on an incline a straight pull over flat ground is no problem, down hill is no problem, tight turns are difficult, gentle turns are recommended but reversing is not recommended.

Two Armortek Famos linked together would be better and three would be desirable to pull a disabled Tiger !

An Armortek Panther would be lighter and therefor easier to recover, I have an old FOA Panther which weighs not much at all for video recovery work and may be more suited with less strain on the Famos drive train.

All in all very much like the real thing!

You guy's at shows will have a lot of fun experimenting with different towing techniques!
Attachments
DSC_2010.JPG
DSC_2013.JPG
DSC_2015 (2).JPG
DSC_2014 (2).JPG
DSC_2011.JPG
DSC_2012.JPG
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.

Chang
Has liked: 14897 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Chang »

Hi Phil,
Wish it's not too late to ask the question:

If the FAMO is not sold yet. where do you plan to instal the Motion Control Module, Audio Module----when the engine bay is nearly full of the dummy engine, cooling fan, and many tubes, wires, etc.-----?

The manual has shown this figure, but even with an empty engine bay, I don't think the steering wheel rod can be inserted into the engine bay, when the Motion Module was on the way.
FAMO-86c.jpg
FAMO-86c.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Now the big question (for me) is: "Where is the best position for the Motion Control Module?" :?:

With regards,
Lerh Chang
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Chang, if your not going to install a dummy engine follow the Manual, you will need to shorten the steering wheel column to suit.
It's a whole new ball game to insert a dummy engine with hours of work to put together bespoke wiring harnesses and electronics/electrics hidden under the seats ( I wouldn't recommend it ) :) :) .
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

I install the hole elecrtonic under the seats. There is enough Space.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

An up date, I will be starting the other Famo very soon but I would think you guy's may have had enough of my Famo building for now :roll:
Right now I am collecting together all the ancillaries like the engine etc etc before I make a start.
I do have another commission build Famo which was going to be next but the owner has decided not to go ahead with that build for financial reasons so has asked me to offer the Famo kit for sale at a discounted price! so please PM or email for details if you are interested. (now i know this should really be in the for sale section :shock: ) So grab a bargain or I may have it!....... Phil.
Attachments
DSC_2015 (2).JPG
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Phil,
take the Famo for you ;)
I think some Kit owners are scared about the dimension and work on a build. So some kit owners are selling in time or soon. The price will sinking.
Either selling it quickly, or keep it and wait or sell it as ab nice build model.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

It's a beautiful model, totally unique in the 1/6th world, very impressive, very powerful, it's not a difficult build it's just never been done before and now myself and yourself have shown that it's not difficult to build just a bit challenging due to its size but that for me and many others is what makes it so impressive.
It may never be released again so the price of the kit should remain consistent with it's cost when new. The kit i have for sale will be discounted but not by much, several hundred or so only but this may help someone achieve their dream of ownership of the Beast! 8) 8)

Regards Phil on his soap box :D
Attachments
DSC_2011.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

yves mouton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 514 times

Post by yves mouton »

Hello Phil,

I like the famo you build,
amazing job :roll: :roll: :roll:
I am looking forward to see the video.

Best regards Yves

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Thanks Yves, I will do my best to get the short video edited and publish to my utube channel as soon as I get a couple of free hours! 8)
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

A quick but important tip regarding the smooth running of the Famo, use a light oil like 3 in 1 for the sprocket rollers. I was amazed how much smoother the Famo ran after a liberal application, maybe after a period of "running in" things will be even smoother but it sure helped.
Don't be shy with oil I gave the rollers a good dose. Now obviously oil and dirt is not a good combination so it's your choice.
Attachments
DSC_1990.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Phil, great build, enjoyed watching your customisation. It's an impressive model.

or those who like to run off-road, an alternative to oils and grease is a dry molybdenum lubricant such as Oxylube. It's far from cheap but a can lasts a lifetime. When I last spoke to Mark about whether to lubricate or not, his recommendation was not to use wet lubricants if you intend to run over any sort of rough terrain. As you say, it's a builder's choice.

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Stephen

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As promised the Famo video, it's very short and of poor quality as I have had to use my phone and record from the lap top screen as my video pad editor refuses to let me export the video unless I pay them £83 quid.
I suppose it looks period :roll:

Mechanical engineer.