Famo prototype build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2027 times

Re: Famo prototype build

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Simon Peck wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 am
I meant will the links themselves be strong enough? Perhaps they are cnc’d steel?
I’m not an engineer but I do believe strength to weight ratio is very high at this size. Cheers!

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

I was wondering if the canvas top on the other model is part of a kit. Will the FAMO have any sort of top?

Brian

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Brian Ostlind wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 am
I was wondering if the canvas top on the other model is part of a kit. Will the FAMO have any sort of top?
Our plan is for the model to have a canvas top - but this will take several more weeks to get a prototype made and tested.
Simon Peck wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 am
I meant will the links themselves be strong enough? Perhaps they are cnc’d steel?
Steel would put too much weight and stress onto the running gear - the links are cast aluminium.

Kian
Armortek

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Brian, when I asked this question earlier on the answer was yes it will be supplied with the kit :D.
Reference the track query, I'm sure Armortek will have thought about the narrower tracks being under considerable load and adjusted the design and material accordingly, it would be a bugger to have ordered 60 pairs plus of track links that may break when towing a disabled Panther! :oops:

When I get chance to trial the towing ability of the Famo I expect the tracks to slip if the load is to great ie the need for more than one towing vehicle may become apparent, then we will need a radio link or at least Y leads to form a Famo symbiosis, what fun we shall have, that's right up my street.

Sorry Kian my post plopped in just after you replied!
Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

I apologize if this is a silly question but will the motors be pointing forwards or backwards?

Will Armortek suggest a maximum load capacity?

Thanks.

Brian

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Brian Ostlind wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 pm
I apologize if this is a silly question but will the motors be pointing forwards or backwards?
Interesting question Brian - out of interest, what difference would it make ?
The motors drive the front sprocket and are mounted motor first (looking at the Famo from the front).
Brian Ostlind wrote:
Will Armortek suggest a maximum load capacity?
No we will not be.
Armortek

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Tracks

IMG_3118.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG
Armortek

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Armortek wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:22 pm
Brian Ostlind wrote:
Interesting question Brian - out of interest, what difference would it make ?
The motors drive the front sprocket and are mounted motor first (looking at the Famo from the front).

Mostly, just curiousity. In the original FAMO thread someone had brought up the idea of engine bay details and also weight distribution.

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

This will probably be the last photo until we show the Famo off at TankFest next weekend ...
IMG_3120.JPG
Armortek

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

It looks very nice.

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

I have a question for anyone with finished AT models. Since I am new and have just started my Tiger. I am curious how the finished models can be towed. Do they have a Neutral position or does the pinion gear need to be disconnected to allow the running gear to spin separately from the motors or are the motors brushless? I will be getting my Tiger motors today so I really don’t know what to expect.

Thanks, Brian

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

No, once the motor is fitted they are permanently "in gear".

The new high efficiency gearboxes allow you to push them around, but you need to be mindful of the back EMF that will produce.

Easiest way to tow a tank is to do what they did in real life - remove the tracks and tow it on the road wheels.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Just some thoughts to track links:

In the last 5 years we unfortunately saw at least one broken track link in Hausen every year. Track links are highly loaded parts of a tank model, because they get a strong strain if they try to get out of the guideway slots of road wheels and idlers when curving. Aluminium track links may break under this load. (Sorry for my english using a translation program; I hope you understand what I mean.)

Track links made of steel may perhaps be a suitable option; this show my three models which are equipped with. They make no trouble till now; the oldest modification since 2010. But steel track links need some precautions at the whole drive train to prevent it from excessive wearout by using harder materials for road wheels, idlers and sprockets.

My Armortek Jagdpanther got severe wearout of the drive train in a very short time by using steel track links. OK, they did't fit exactly, but the bigger issue was the extreme traction of this track links which prevented the model from curving on non-slipping grounds and caused the drive train getting out of the track links.
kind regards
Gerhard

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Prototype 90% complete and on its way to TankFest at the Tank Museum in the UK.
IMG_3184[2].JPG
IMG_3185[1].JPG
Armortek

David McConnell
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by David McConnell »

Wow!

Looks great, happy to say I am now on board :D

Can I ask what may be a dumb question though, how will the "X" reinforcing be repressed on all the side panels?

Pretty sure I read in one of my three reference books (went a bit nuts and got them first) that they "Punched" this impression into the metal plate to stop warping?

Dave