New build.

All topics related to Armortek's Pak 43/ 41
Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Re: New build.

Post by Brian Ostlind »

“You don't know until you try.”

True, it is satisfying to try new things even if they do not work out.

Glen Clark
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 158 times

Re: Paint.

Post by Glen Clark »

It's been a while since I last posted but things have conspired against me and I decided that I need practice for when I build the Tiger.So I've decided to paint the Pak43.I'm still going with the Snow camo so that's how the gun will be painted.

For sure I am not the best painter in the world but how difficult can it be?.It's not like it's a show car it's just a gun after all.

I decided I shall paint the individual parts as and when I need them.Some of the big parts I've used to practice my camo on.To be honest it was disappointing going with the camo I decided I wanted,so some lateral thinking was required.The paint/camo is completely fictitious so I can't be judged on how it comes out.😊

I was hoping to be further into the build at this stage but other jobs have taken priority.Anyway a couple of pics of my progress.
IMG_20181108_12304.jpg
IMG_20181108_58177.jpg
IMG_20181108_49456.jpg
IMG_20181108_4217.jpg
IMG_20181108_51495.jpg

Glen.

Glen Clark

Re: waylaid

Post by Glen Clark »

One of the many alternatives which side track me.

I decided to go chopper chopper rather than drag style chopper,so some big apehangers were needed.😁I going to change all the switchgear/brake and clutch masters and indicators......nothing is ever straightforward or cheap anymore.
IMG_20181108_2435.jpg
IMG_20181108_13473.jpg
IMG_20181108_32806.jpg
Glen.

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

Love the chopper. Is that a Harley motor on a custom frame?

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Pete Nash »

Re Aluminium Oxidation.

Pure aluminium oxidises on the surface only and does not eat through the metal like ferrous metal oxidation (rust). The thin film of aluminium oxide on the surface protects the rest of the aluminium so removing it only allows another film of aluminium oxide to form.
Anodising chemicals are available but are likely to give the clean (must be clean fresh aluminium) an amber tinted finish.

I remember back in the early 1970's when I was on a Lightning squadron in the RAF. One year we had a week of persistent fog and there was no flying.
The 'pilots' came up with the bright idea to polish the aircraft to keep us groundcrew busy. So we started to polish away with Wadpol (industrial Brasso wadding).
That was until the BAC (the makers) representative on station came into the hanger and told the pilots that it must stop immediately as polishing removed the thin film of aluminium that protected the Alclad (thats ALuminium Clading) of the aluminium alloy structure, the end result would be to weaken the airframe through corrosion.
Polishing stopped forever :D

So it all depends on what Armortek is using, pure aluminium or an alloy. Whatever it is one way of protecting your model is to use something Museums use, Microcrystaline Wax. This is a 'thin' wax that gives surfaces a very thin layer to prevent contact with air yet does not attract dust. A little goes a long way, reasonably available (E-bay) but a bit expensive.

Pete

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

Hi Peter,it is a Harley style engine,Its an Ultima 114 which makes it a 1868cc I think.The frame is a Softail fatube made by Zodiac in Holland.

Regards Glen.

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

Peter,I was going to go polished alloy an Anodising but it's very labour intensive both in the build and the upkeep.

I was hoping my wife would show enthusiasm for having the gun on permanent display but that wasn't to be.I'm thinking that now it will maybe just used to compliment the Tiger and an Elifant a friend of mine is building from scratch.The polished finish looks great but is impractical for all but living room display.

I had a friend that owned a Pitts Special that was mirror polished from the spinner to the canopy then blended paint from there back.It looked great for a week after he had polished it,then it started to go dull.My own Pitts had a polished spinner and Prop(airscrew) but that became a pain in the ass so they were painted.

I would imagine mirror polishing a Lightening would be rather a big job but that stunning looking aeroplane would look gorgeous in flight with the sun dancing off the skin.

Glen.

Glen Clark

Re: the white is a bit loud.

Post by Glen Clark »

I just put a few bits together to see how the white looks,It looks a bit loud.😁
IMG_20181111_24677.jpg
IMG_20181111_13906.jpg
Glen.

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Nice, will you weather it?

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

Not until I know how to do it Brian.I might weather the Tiger as I build it.

Glen.

Glen Clark

Snow Camo

Post by Glen Clark »

The Snow Camo doesn't appear to fool Wilson the cat.
IMG_20190131_47388.jpg
IMG_20190131_47388.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
But to me it doesn't look half bad.
IMG_20190131_5238.jpg
I Paid £70 A litre for the white paint which is supposed to be self etching....it isn't and you only have to look at it sideways and it comes off.
IMG_20190131_42363.jpg
I just need to finish putting it all together now and add the black highlights.

Glen.

Glen Clark

Finishing off.

Post by Glen Clark »

I'm just putting the final touches to the gun,I just need to fit the sight,a few bolts,tidy up the white paint a bit and do the Camo.
IMG_20190205_28644.jpg
IMG_20190205_17150.jpg
IMG_20190205_2469.jpg
These little buggers are a pig to fit with the spacers.

Sorry for the untidy shed but other stuff is going on in there as well.

Glen

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

The closer I get to finishing this the more nervous I get about starting to build the Tiger.I have learned quite a bit from building this gun.The first thing I learned is on final build be prepared for damage or marking of the pristine paint finish.Also although the paint may be very thin on parts it really does make a difference on weather the parts will or will no go together.I really needed to do a lot more masking than I did.It was only me being lazy that caught me out with a few things.

Once you get to a certain point in the build it gets difficulty to go back and re-do jobs that maybe need a little bit more fettling.One example is the slew and elevation,They were a little sticky on final assembly and once I put the armour and barrel on the added weight pretty much made them unusable without damaging the little gears.Not much of an issue to me as it will only be in the towing/transit setup.Easily rectifiable but not really an issue with me.Also as the gun is just going to be eye candy in my shed on a dedicated shelf I also need it to be as compact as it can be,rather difficult once you see how big the final model ends up being.

Overall I am happy with how it is turning out and I've learned quite a bit to help me on my way with the Tiger build.

On a completely different note I decided that the mature adult in me needed a new crash helmet.
IMG_20190206_48106.jpg
I bought myself this.😊complete with Predator style dreadlocks.
I'll only be able to use it whilst riding this...
IMG_20190206_22706.jpg
My theory is that if I'm daft enough to be seen riding this then 9wearing a daft Hat won't really make me any dafter,if that makes sense.😊

Glen.

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Glen that helmet is sure to make a statement!

I know EXACTLY what you mean regarding the fitment of parts. I am almost halfway through my tiger and I believe I have built along the same lines as you your PAk. Painting and assembling. After careful thought I believe it is better to build then paint.

I’ll try that going forward. Painting each part just takes too much work!

Glen Clark

Post by Glen Clark »

It's not just the paint itself Brian,it's the priming,cleaning out the Airbrush,then the topcoat and cleaning the Airbrush again.I waited until I had a few parts that needed painting then did them all together.Then I was running out of room to hang them to dry.I did enjoy the painting part but I think that it is one of the biggest jobs of the build,at least it is with the gun.The Tiger may well be different.

The other thing is I was running out of patients with the Gun and wanted to get it finished.I've got a few big jobs I need to clear up before I start the Tiger.Both the Bikes are good to go with just a few little jobs to be done.The Car on the other hand need a bit of time and love.I've just had the engine built and its sitting on the mounts,it needs fitting in properly then taking for mapping.It needs to be right as 800 hp takes a little taming.I've also reached a stage in my life where I don't need a uncomfortable,noisy fast,impractical car that's expensive to run and is a magnet for every retarded in a Corsa to want to Race.

With reference to your Tiger I think it looks awesome,I'm hoping I can get my weathering to be at least half as good as yours.

Glen.