Mick's Roller

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Mick's Roller

Post by michael hilton »

I had just moved my Panther out of the workshop/small bedroom, and loaded her onto my trailer in the garage this very morning, when low and behold....a very kind UPS delivery man arrived, carried this large parcel into my garage, bade me a good day and sped on his way. So, stand by your beds....here we go again....Mick. :)
Attachments
IMG_1166.JPG

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Mick's Roller

Post by Adrian Harris »

Glad to see you've started another project, but I can't read that Subject line without thinking of the lead singer of a certain beat combo...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UPS are due here tomorrow, but with something a little less exotic :)

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Enjoy the new toy Michael. If you decide to make a build log, I will follow your progress and glean some tips from you.

Vince

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Adrian and Vince, just cannot resist Armorteks advances...rather like a certain lady I used to know... :roll:
I intended to wait until today before opening the box...no chance, So, last night at half time during the Burnley v Chelsea football match, a quick dash into the garage, and hay presto.
I like the information pack, well thought out and presented, someone has given the instruction book some very careful consideration, I like it.
There are loads of parts to sort, for a smaller model. All well packed and labelled as we have come to expect. All in all a cracking kit, well done.
Attachments
Information, parts list, and building instructions
Information, parts list, and building instructions
Packages galore
Packages galore

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Something tells me you did not get to see the second half of the match. :lol:

Vince

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Three glorious days weather wise.....I am supposed to be gardening, Could not resist making a start. I even browsed through the instruction book at 3am this morning, while making a cup of tea....trouble sleeping, never mind I have had my share over the years...Mick
Attachments
Springs taped
Springs taped

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good afternoon each, this morning and with a cold wind outside, no gardening,.... I made a dry fit of parts related to the basic chassis. The parts list is easy to follow and matched to the bagged parts. The diagrams are also clear and easy to follow, take care to pre-fit the parts listed on page 3 or some dismantling will be necessary in order to fit these parts later. I will post the build as I progress....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1171.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Shopping today, my wife needs a new dress, why do wives have such extravagant 'needs'. :roll: oh well.
I found it useful to copy pages 1 to 6 and refer to all these a whole, better to understand what part goes where. I also re-bag the fasteners. It is an interesting departure from tanks however, a most enjoyable one .....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1173.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Now making steady progress, I have to say Pete, that all my 'tie rods' fit between the frame pillars and frame stay brackets okay. The 'tie rods are also straight and without kinks. I did change the M5x25 for M5x20. All thing being equal the build is going well......Mick
Attachments
IMG_1174.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning Kian, now what's that quote, 'don't speak to soon'.
Question, basic chassis, front springs....EMO124 is threaded on one side of the lower part of my bracket, should this part EMO124 have clear holes on both sides?....to fit the lower spring pin through, and then add the M3 nut.
Also my front spring pin EPO112 appears to be too short, thread not protruding far enough through the chassis in order to screw the M3 nut on, the pin is also smaller in dia on one side......is it me :) ...Mick
EDIT....Would you believe it...it is myself after all, I should be using part EPO113, not an M3 nut...now eating humble pie for tea.... :oops:
....I also drilled through part EMO124 so that the lower spring pin fits and I can now thread on the M3 nut, bingo....I think I will go back to building boats....not really, just joking.... Mick

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Pete Nash »

Hi Mick.

wait 'til you get to Page 8. The EP0201 Diff halves is shown to be held together with M2 X 6 cap heads.
a. They would be too short as the thickness if the two ribs is 6mm.
b. you may not find M2 x 6 cap heads in the fastener pack. However you may well find M2 x 10 cap head screws. I used them and if they bare needed elsewhere there's always Kayfast on e-bay; they'deliver next day if you get byour order bin quick.

On page 9 I found that the front Spring Plate EM0121 doesn't exist, but there were 2 off EP0144 left in the bag from page 2, as they fit I used them.

As for 'going back to building boats', still build them, it teaches us to think and we can chase ducks when it gets boring 8) :D :roll:

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Pete, and thank you, so far, most of the small hiccups are easily resolved...where are all the other Rolls Royce builds when you need them. :roll:
I spent a happy two hours this morning fettling the 'steering box'. It builds smoothly with a little elbow grease. I can't figure out how the steering box is held in place, am guessing that for the Armoured Car build the other parts are in the ' Motion Pack' as there are no steering column bits....Anyway, I am enjoying the challenge, it's what modelling is all about. It is interesting to be so close to such an iconic beast :) ...Mick
Attachments
IMG_1177.JPG

Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Pete Nash »

Hi Mick.
Re steering Box, Me too. As the gubbins that hold it in place for the chassis version aren't used i'm also assuming those bits are in the Motion Pack.

I've put another post on my'problems' page you might be interested in reading concerning the torque tubes and gearbox. Lets hope you don't have to do as much fettling as I did with my torque tubes :roll: 8)

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Pete and thank you for your reply...in the end we will overcome and all will be revealed :)
Now, something I can't figure out. I am building the rear axles and differential. The parts are a good fit however,( I will also use M2x10 Cap in place of the m2x6 Cap, which are too short).
The question is...how does the drive shaft ( I guess supplied with the Motion Option) fit onto the pinion/differential. I can see that the pinion has a 'flat and pip at the shaft end?. If I complete the build on page 8, can I fit the drive shaft later, without removing the part EPO202?.....Mick

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Couple of things:
1. the prop shaft is provided in the kit - it is part number EP0605. Although it can be fitted later when fitting motion, we thought it was easier and more complete to provide in the main kit.
2. The Steering box is attached to EP0145 (ENGINE BEARER) shown in drawing 3.

Kian
Armortek