Me Quad.

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: Me Quad.

Post by Phil Woollard »

The first of the washes are added along with "wear removal" of the top coat exposing the dark green underneath, this process is quick in some respects but will take many days of adding and removing paint. I sit and look, do a bit, and so it goes on. The larger panels will have different shading added to give interest/contrast to those vast boring areas, paint chipping is not my favourite pass time but must be done but not over done! Crew entrance/exit wear kind of evolves over time and so it will with this Quad.
Today I will fit the windows and the windscreen wipers and think about unit markings, oh and "dirty wash" the chassis. Phil.
Attachments
Tarp fixing example.
Tarp fixing example.
Over spray on the wheel rubber needs removing yet again.
Over spray on the wheel rubber needs removing yet again.
First "dirty wash" chassis coat.
First "dirty wash" chassis coat.
You can see the wet wash drying out, I use a solvent that will bind the pigment to the paint but can be removed as required, the solvent is very carefully selected so the main colour doesn't run.
You can see the wet wash drying out, I use a solvent that will bind the pigment to the paint but can be removed as required, the solvent is very carefully selected so the main colour doesn't run.
The dreaded "soft top"
The dreaded "soft top"
After much research I have chosen to fix the front of the tarp, and so its folded from back to front rather than vice versa, to get it to fit soak it in water first.
After much research I have chosen to fix the front of the tarp, and so its folded from back to front rather than vice versa, to get it to fit soak it in water first.
Four Tiny screws to keep the tarp tight. I have yet to add the spring tie down.
Four Tiny screws to keep the tarp tight. I have yet to add the spring tie down.
She's starting to look used.
She's starting to look used.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Well I expect that you are all fed up with yet more Quad photos but there's good reason for these as she's finished!
So now starts the limber and then the gun, I have bucket loads of Armorpax upgrades to prep and fix, which means lots more photos and build nonsense to come.
Attachments
DSC_1054 (2).JPG
DSC_1058.JPG
DSC_1059.JPG
DSC_1063.JPG
DSC_1066.JPG
DSC_1070.JPG
DSC_1071.JPG
DSC_1072.JPG
DSC_1060.JPG
DSC_1074.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I just cant stop taking photos with the old girl.
Attachments
DSC_1080.JPG
Nice paint job, clever bloke.
Nice paint job, clever bloke.
Its all open.
Its all open.
Getting ready with the props for a good ol outside photo shoot, just as soon as the weather lets me.
Getting ready with the props for a good ol outside photo shoot, just as soon as the weather lets me.
DSC_1082 (2).JPG
DSC_1084.JPG
As its Christmas.
As its Christmas.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Something a little different
Attachments
35402mkii_schemes2_original.jpg
DSC_1089.JPG
DSC_1092 (2).JPG
DSC_1093.JPG
DSC_1094.JPG
DSC_1095 (2).JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

The Quads limber under construction with Armorpax detail parts. As the limber will be a short build and its connected to this Quad I felt its not worth starting a new thread dedicated to the limber, I hope that's ok with Armortek.
I can see why some new to Armortek customers would choose the compact kits, its a great way to familiarise your self with the construction methods and techniques before committing to the big kits.
I can see why some builders like to paint/finish all the components in one hit for continuity, ie the Quad Limber and Gun all painted with the same colour mix almost on the same day, but I prefer the slight contrast that you get from independently finishing each piece, this in my opinion adds interest overall as each will be oh so subtly different.
Attachments
A nice straight forward build.
A nice straight forward build.
With tons of rivet detail.
With tons of rivet detail.
Sixteen draws to clean up and fit.
Sixteen draws to clean up and fit.
The draw assembly needs fitting from the back of the door panel.
The draw assembly needs fitting from the back of the door panel.
I have made my own draws and added dummy shell cases to two of them
I have made my own draws and added dummy shell cases to two of them
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As this Limber will be fully functional ie towed behind the Quad a bit of machining was needed. The Limber tow hitch had no locking mechanism so a simple milling job using my improvised drill press milling machine, and some flat ali stock for the locking lug and some 3mm wire for the handle, instead of an ugly spring to hold the lug in position I have milled the slot to a very close tolerance so the m3 bolt can pinch the lug quite tightly and so hold everything in place, job done.
Attachments
DSC_1101.JPG
DSC_1103.JPG
DSC_1104.JPG
DSC_1105.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Getting close to enough detail I think, just a little more to the draw bar, I would like to add the tarp to the front or maybe fill that area with kit , that just leaves the mudflaps and those spongy rubbery pads that hold the draws tight, I have found some very nice light rubber pads on the Net but they are the last things to fit as I aint painting round them every five minuets.
Attachments
I do like the turn table stowed over the limber.
I do like the turn table stowed over the limber.
There is enough going on with the 25 pounder so it may lose the table to the limber , I will have to make some brackets to hold it in place.
There is enough going on with the 25 pounder so it may lose the table to the limber , I will have to make some brackets to hold it in place.
The colour contrast is only apparent in these photos as I have not started on the top coat just yet.
The colour contrast is only apparent in these photos as I have not started on the top coat just yet.
DSC_1116.JPG
DSC_1117.JPG
DSC_1118.JPG
When this Trinity is put up for sale it will include the crew and kit. Im not that fussed about selling though as it will be a long time before I am bored with it. I have much video work planned depicting the unit in action in the field.
When this Trinity is put up for sale it will include the crew and kit. Im not that fussed about selling though as it will be a long time before I am bored with it. I have much video work planned depicting the unit in action in the field.
Good chap holding his weapon between his legs while he pushes out some ZZZ's (no pun intended lol)
Good chap holding his weapon between his legs while he pushes out some ZZZ's (no pun intended lol)
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I ended up adding lots more detail but that's it now just top coat, unit and id numbers and weathering then onto the Gun.
Attachments
Mud flaps in canvas.
Mud flaps in canvas.
That's a spare 25 pounder used for firing I have a new one for this build
That's a spare 25 pounder used for firing I have a new one for this build
I am hoping those rather stiff canvas mud flaps will relax a bit over time.
I am hoping those rather stiff canvas mud flaps will relax a bit over time.
DSC_1127.JPG
DSC_1129.JPG
Heavy init.
Heavy init.
You would be surprised at the amount of work detailing the front area, welds and fiddly gussets and lining up the bl--dy drawbar.
You would be surprised at the amount of work detailing the front area, welds and fiddly gussets and lining up the bl--dy drawbar.
I do want to add the tarp to the kit tray area but not found the right material as yet.
I do want to add the tarp to the kit tray area but not found the right material as yet.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Top coat and first washes and weathering, I will include a few simple/basic techniques for the weathering, now I know we all all have our own techniques but these are easy hints for those who may not have done so much .More to follow for the larger more difficult areas later. I wont go into to much detail at this stage.
Attachments
Shading the edges and anything that has a border.
Shading the edges and anything that has a border.
Same with this one, a darker colour to bring out the different panels and all the edges.
Same with this one, a darker colour to bring out the different panels and all the edges.
Prior any washes just different shading to add depth.
Prior any washes just different shading to add depth.
The border shading done with a spray pen, follow all the edges inside and out.
The border shading done with a spray pen, follow all the edges inside and out.
The shading in mono tone, this would need to be alot darker for black and white video work. The first wash is applied soaking the entire piece.
The shading in mono tone, this would need to be alot darker for black and white video work. The first wash is applied soaking the entire piece.
Washes, it looks crap at this stage but we will remove 80% when its dry with another technique.
Washes, it looks crap at this stage but we will remove 80% when its dry with another technique.
Washes applied with a 6mm soft brush
Washes applied with a 6mm soft brush
Dont panic if you have a go as it looks awful at this stage.
Dont panic if you have a go as it looks awful at this stage.
The wash finds all the low areas and seams. You must use gravity to pull the wet wash down the piece for it to look like natural weathering, so it needs to be the the correct way up.
The wash finds all the low areas and seams. You must use gravity to pull the wet wash down the piece for it to look like natural weathering, so it needs to be the the correct way up.
This pic shows some reverse weathering, its my way of showing the high lights, you simply rub away the wash until it looks just right, more on the the larger areas when I get a minuet.
This pic shows some reverse weathering, its my way of showing the high lights, you simply rub away the wash until it looks just right, more on the the larger areas when I get a minuet.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As we have a considerable amount of interest on the subject heres a few more pics of the various initial stages of shading and the application of the washes.
Attachments
Undercoat no wash no shading, the undercoat affects the top coat shade so use this to your advantage.
Undercoat no wash no shading, the undercoat affects the top coat shade so use this to your advantage.
Top coat and initial airpen shading. You could just leave it at this stage, it all depends on what you are depicting.
Top coat and initial airpen shading. You could just leave it at this stage, it all depends on what you are depicting.
Top coat, shading and the first wash, the wash does just that but you have to make it wet and let it flow over the entire surface, this is done a side at a time or you will get streaks and "day work lines".
Top coat, shading and the first wash, the wash does just that but you have to make it wet and let it flow over the entire surface, this is done a side at a time or you will get streaks and "day work lines".
Airpen shading only, the table will need more dirt and wear marks as it sits in and on the ground, being walked on, scratched, and generally bumped around.
Airpen shading only, the table will need more dirt and wear marks as it sits in and on the ground, being walked on, scratched, and generally bumped around.
The wash is just Tamiya black (any shade of will do) diluted to say 1 in 50, but experiment, start lighter and add more paint or reverse by adding more thinner.
The wash is just Tamiya black (any shade of will do) diluted to say 1 in 50, but experiment, start lighter and add more paint or reverse by adding more thinner.
The thinner in this case is metholated spirit, you could use Tamiya thinner but be careful with either as they will strip your top coat and undercoat, this depends on the amount of mechanical force you apply when brushing or rubbing off. I will go into more detail on the removal later, this needing more care and skill.
The thinner in this case is metholated spirit, you could use Tamiya thinner but be careful with either as they will strip your top coat and undercoat, this depends on the amount of mechanical force you apply when brushing or rubbing off. I will go into more detail on the removal later, this needing more care and skill.
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mechanical engineer.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Great stuff, Phil, good to see techniques in action. It’s possible to avoid damaging the base coat if acrylics are used and the weathering is done with enamels. To be totally safe, I also use an acrylic varnish (Citadel Purity Seal) to protect the Base. I’ve now moved entirely to oils and pigments, which is an alternative with no risk at all to the basecoat.

This assumes you’re trying to protect the basecoat. There seems to be a trend towards “chipping”, particularly of German WW2 stuff, in fashionable modelling circles, using the wife’s hairspray. It’s a perfectly valid technique but I think it’s easily overdone. Simon Manning has pioneered this, I believe, very effectively.

The recent Knowledge Base topic got little response, so it’s encouraging to see your techniques. I’ve held off doing part two.

Thanks for sharing.

Stephen

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I want to know more about the wife's hair spray technique :shock: it sounds interesting and Simons work is pretty dam good.
I must echo what has been said before that the wheel you have painted is very convincing indeed, I dont have that much patience or time but its good to see the end result......Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Some more weathering photos and the finished limber, now to the 25 pounder.
Attachments
Its all dry and looks like this.
Its all dry and looks like this.
Simply rubbing off the unwanted wash.
Simply rubbing off the unwanted wash.
Use a lint free rag and your chosen thinner, in this case meths. The more you rub the deeper you will go through the underlying paint layers.
Use a lint free rag and your chosen thinner, in this case meths. The more you rub the deeper you will go through the underlying paint layers.
Rub away everything thats not wanted but leave hard to get to areas for contrast.
Rub away everything thats not wanted but leave hard to get to areas for contrast.
A good 80% removed from the draw bar
A good 80% removed from the draw bar
Give the rivets and bolt heads a real good going over.
Give the rivets and bolt heads a real good going over.
Nearly there.
Nearly there.
Shes getting that 1940's look.
Shes getting that 1940's look.
Dry brushing and adding the chips and scratches can be done anytime.
Dry brushing and adding the chips and scratches can be done anytime.
And all done, quick init? Once the decals are totally dry I will brush the numbers by hand.
And all done, quick init? Once the decals are totally dry I will brush the numbers by hand.
Mechanical engineer.

Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

Hi Phil,

Lovely work mate, I have really enjoyed watching this build and its making me want one. :D

Paul. :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Thanks Paul, before this build I had little interest in any wheeled kits from Armortek but my God you get your monies worth, there's so much scope for extra detailing , now a nice big Matador and a dirty great big Howitzer would be cool sometime, I have a film company expressing an interest in any large scale convincing Allied vehicles so I hope Kian is listening :) ?
I will start the 25 pounder today and when all is ready I have some video scenarios of the unit firing in the field to produce for my library/archive, cant wait to start that! Cheers Phil.
Attachments
It sure would be big and impressive at any show.
It sure would be big and impressive at any show.
Matador Howitzer.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
Matador and Howitzer.jpg
Matador and Howitzer.jpg (6.61 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
Howitzer.jpg
Howitzer.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 8231 times
The most hansom of trucks, not keen on the Mickey Mouse ear camo pattern though.
The most hansom of trucks, not keen on the Mickey Mouse ear camo pattern though.
Mechanical engineer.