Bailey Bridge in 1/6th scale?

All topics related to Armortek's Bailey Bridge
Pete Mallett
Been liked: 11 times

Bailey Bridge in 1/6th scale?

Post by Pete Mallett »

Just been looking at some photos, on Facebook, of what appears to be an Armortek metal bailey Bridge in 1/6th scale. From the little I've seen it would appear to be the post-war EWBB, in the US/Nato M2 configuration, is that correct?

I first suggested this to Gill back in 2007 an if Armortek have now made one then it would be great to see some detailed photos?

Pete
1/6th in the UK come visit us at http://www.onesixth.co.uk

Daniel Scholefield
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: Bailey Bridge in 1/6th scale?

Post by Daniel Scholefield »

Here's one:
DSC_0004a.jpg
Mark IV No. 35 aka. L9 Lightning III
Hetzer No 28

Pete Mallett

Post by Pete Mallett »

Thanks for the photo, looking for some with the chesses (decking) removed so I can see the detail on the stringers and sway braces etc. From what I can see there appears to be six stringers laying on top on the Transom's and, that being the case, that would make this an SWBB (Standard Widened Bailey Bridge). The SWBB configuration came in towards the end of the war but was never really used in anger.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by Stephen White »

Pete, photos shortly on the Open Day thread and a YouTube video being uploaded. BT hasn't quite managed rural fibre in our area, so don't hold your breath. Stephen

Pete Mallett

Post by Pete Mallett »

Brilliant news Stephen, thanks for the response.

I've also seen a note on Facebook that Armortek has changed hands, is that correct? Have Mark and Gill now bowed out of the business altogether? So sad to see them go, they did a great job in getting Armortek up and running and making a success of it! I hope they're enjoying their retirment!

BTW, I'm a Bailey bridge nut (certifiable) and this sort of thing is manna from Heaven for me! Don't think I'll be buyingf the Armortek one though as I've already got a 1/6th scale Bailey Bridge, plus Pontoons!

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1012 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by Stephen White »

Pete, good to hear you again in this net, been a long time. Yes, the new owners of Armortek, Kian and Monique (and their daughters) hit the ground running and the pace of issue of kits hasn't slackened one bit. Mark is still involved in design, full time, and Gill is still to be seen around the factory, now re-located in Otterbourne, Hants.

Perhaps you should declare your hand a bit more on the Bailey and post a link to your relevant thread on One Sixth Scale UK. (Pete owns one of the one sixth training models issued to Sapper units during WW2). Those kits are rare as hens' teeth and are the inspiration for the Armortek Kompact Kit. I'll leave Pete to post his link if he wishes but here's another to whet the appetite:

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/01/u ... ey-bridge/

93efefe9e10732929d43e54ac6f42851.jpg
Sir Donald Bailey and a model of his original design.

Christchurch,_Stanpit_Marsh_-_geograph_org_uk_-_1705320.jpg

The prototype bridge still stands in Stanpit Marsh near Christchurch, UK, former location of the Army's Experimental Bridging Establishment, home of the Bailey Bridge.

Stephen
Last edited by Stephen White on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pete Mallett

Post by Pete Mallett »

No problem mate, here ya go...

http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum/show ... #post44588

This link should take you to the early point in a thread I had going on Bailey bridges. It started off with a couple pics of my Pontoons, then morphed into a Introduction to Bailey Bridging and then morphed again into a quick display of my own stuff, which is where this link picks it up. As I say, I am a certifiable nut when it comes to all things Bailey bridge!

BTW that's not the prototype, it's just an early Bailey bridge. The prototype had extra upright members in the middle of the diamond, however, it was discovered that they added no extra strength and onlt added extra weight and manufacturing time so they were dispensed with. There is a prototype panel at the RE Museum but you really have to search for it as its a bit hidden away!

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

Pete Mallett wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:42 pm
Thanks for the photo, looking for some with the chesses (decking) removed so I can see the detail on the stringers and sway braces etc. From what I can see there appears to be six stringers laying on top on the Transom's and, that being the case, that would make this an SWBB (Standard Widened Bailey Bridge). The SWBB configuration came in towards the end of the war but was never really used in anger.
I have created a "Product Page" (http://www.armortek.co.uk/kompact-kit-b ... ey-bridge/) for the Bridge .. it has pictures showing the stringers (6) and a lot of other features.
Kian
Armortek

Pete Mallett

Post by Pete Mallett »

Thanks Kian, I shall add that to the thread I've started over at OSUK. It's very reasonably priced so I'm sure it should sell very well!

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Wow, no kidding! What a great idea for a kit! Perfect compliment for 1/6 tanks and trucks! Sweet! I assume they can be connected together to make a longer span? Just saw the product page - of course they can be made longer!
Bob

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Hi Bob, yes, the bridge can be made longer. Each section is held in place by 4 pins - pretty much like the real thing - and the ramps are held on by clamps. That means not only is it easy to take apart for transport, but it is also pretty easy to add more and more sections.
We have not tested how long an unsupported span can get, but there is a lot of strength in this design. The SINGLE that we have in the videos can carry two adults jumping up and down !!
Armortek

Tim Page
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 425 times

Post by Tim Page »

I was told on Sunday that 4 sections have been tested with a tiger and it worked really well.
Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G (early) #0035
2012 Armortek Tiger 1e (Late) #001
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011 (SOLD)
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

There doesn't seem to be an option in the shop to buy extra spans on their own, without the end ramps ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:07 pm
There doesn't seem to be an option in the shop to buy extra spans on their own, without the end ramps ?

Adrian.
Its coming Adrian ... need a few more hours in the day :)
Armortek

Armortek
Site Admin

Post by Armortek »

Pricing for the Base bridge (which consists of two sections and two ramps) as well as for additional sections.
The price varies depending on whether the bridge is a Single Double or Triple.
Bailey Bridge pricing image.PNG
Armortek