Protecting spring leaves

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Protecting spring leaves

Post by Adrian Harris »

What have people done in the past to protect the leaves of springs on the Sd.Kfz half tracks, and more recently the Quad ?

The Sd.Kfz 7 I am rebuilding has quite a bit of surface rust on the leaves, especially on the ends:

DSCN5382-reduced.jpg
I wonder if a layer of PTFE dry film lubricant would provide sufficient protection.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Protecting spring leaves

Post by Peter Silcock »

The springs rust very quickly Adrian and PTFE wont stop this. I painted the leaves with etch primer and that has worked well and doesn't prevent the sliding effect. I dont think adding a top coat would be detrimental. Adding a touch of Copper slip between the leaves will prevent binding anyway and help to prevent rust.

Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Re: Protecting spring leaves

Post by Paul Wills »

Hi Adrian,

Just as Peter has said, I just painted the ones on my last Sdkfz 7. One other thing to think about when installing the springs, the smiling set (the one on the right in the photo.) frustratingly fall out of place when you pick the model up or when the tension is taken off suspension.
18.JPG
I fitted a second pin, off set enough to allow the spring to slide through, but it can catch it when the load is taken off.
55.JPG
Paul. :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41