Famo 18 tonner.

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3059 times

Re: Famo 18 tonner.

Post by Armortek »

Probably abut time we post some more details on the 1/6th scale Famo project.

We will start the design process in a couple of months time. This will, as usual, involve desk top research as well as measuring up of a real vehicle followed by prototyping. We anticipate a launch in the summer of `18 - more precise dates will be set once the design is reaching the end and we have an idea of production scheduling.

The variant that we intend to make is the one in Timo's pictures in the previous post.

I have had several mails with regards to the design - unfortunately we cannot crowd source the design of the model as almost everyone has a different wish list. However, one common request has been to keep the engine bay empty for people to add an engine. We should be able to do this, but at this stage ... without even starting the design .. we cannot tell for sure. Apart from the need to locate the electronics somewhere, we also need to make sure there is enough weight over the front axle to ensure that the vehicle can steer without chronic under-steer.

Kian
Armortek

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Sounds great boss!
Now I have two words to say and that's "Ballast", now I am aware that's only one word but I thought that it was so important it was worth mentioning twice. We can always add ballast to the engine bay like strips of lead or a battery if we need to?

Regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Simon Peck
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Simon Peck »

For me, an empty engine bay is not important. If for dioramas etc the engine is wanted on display, then simply remove the batteries or electric motor that might be in there and replace with a dummy scale unit. Much more important is how the model runs and handles with prototypical operation and suspension.

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

I assume like SDKFZ7 each tack will be driven individually by a motor which will make steering a bit easier. If that is the case perhaps someone could come up with a clever way of mixing the steering front wheels with controlling the tracks. It sounds easy but normal mixing is ok going forwards but when you go in to reverse the front wheels go in the opposite direction you want the vehicle to go. I speak from experience of controlling the SDKFZ7.

Dennis.

Dietrich Weber
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Dietrich Weber »

Hi all,

my thought concerning the power unit is, a single motor would be cheaper than a twin version. But whatabout steering with a single motor, steering controlled only with the frontaxle and pulling maybe the Sd Anh.116 with a Panzer III loaded for example? I am not sure, if the steering over the frontaxle will collapse in this case. The reliability to manage this system is higher with a twin motor version I think.

Regards Dietrich

David Brady
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 626 times

Post by David Brady »

I'm sure most have watched this clip, but for any that haven't

Thanks

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As we are going to have the towing version/late example of the glorious Famo, is there any chance that Armortek would consider provision for the spade mounting points attached to the very rear of the chassis. They are simple lugs welded to the ladder chassis rails and would add interest to the rear of the vehicle whether they were to be used or not. Most late versions seem to have this as a standard fitting.
Another question ( please note that I would not expect a direct answer to these questions :) ) How about a small additional kit comprising of the spade and associated fittings, it's all good business!
Regards Phil.
Attachments
Great looking model, just think what an Armortek example will look like in 1/6th scale, super detailed with a crew, sound, smoke and animated.
Great looking model, just think what an Armortek example will look like in 1/6th scale, super detailed with a crew, sound, smoke and animated.
Famo spade .jpg
Famo spade .jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Another example of that engine on display, the hood lower side pieces were often removed to aid the cooling of the engine in warmer climes.
Another example of that engine on display, the hood lower side pieces were often removed to aid the cooling of the engine in warmer climes.
Famo parking up guide.jpg
Famo parking up guide.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
Mechanical engineer.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

For that small but very distinguished group of truck fanciers, a Christmas puzzle:
1684EC65-D5CA-4A7A-8E68-131D8097C040.jpeg
1684EC65-D5CA-4A7A-8E68-131D8097C040.jpeg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Cheers.

Stephen

Christian Steinhauer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Christian Steinhauer »

I like the nose of the Tatra afterwar diesel prototype, it looks so "fast" :D
Have fun building, Kind regards
Christian

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

That Tatra v12 completely filled the engine bay, I don't want to reproduce that any time soon!
Mechanical engineer.

Chang
Has liked: 14984 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Chang »

Just for fun. Found another rare "FAMO" photo (or is it?) https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/701224604453151083/
FAMO-19.jpg
Guess it was a post-war built one. It does not look as big as a 18 tonnes FAMO, maybe a post-war built 8 tonnes Sd Kfz 7, or 12 tonnes Sd Kfz 8?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

For those contemplating doing an engine bay for one of these.... wow!

Cheers,

RPR

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3059 times

Post by Armortek »

Update on the Famo ...

Now that the Rolls Royce is in full production, the current plan is to measure and photograph the Famo in the last week of Feb/ first week March. Once that is done, design work will start in earnest and should be able to provide more details on the provisional ship times by end March or early April.

Kian
Armortek

Chang
Has liked: 14984 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Chang »

The BIG FAMO ball is rolling ~~~~~ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

One or two questions ref the forthcoming Famo spec, will the towing example have a winch? will the towing example have the spade ? Will it have the good looking larger balloon front tyres? Will the tracks have the rubber pads? Will it have the canvases? Regards Phil.
Attachments
SdKfz9_FAMO_4 recovery with spade.jpg
Mechanical engineer.