Front axle

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Ken Walter

Front axle

Post by Ken Walter »

Did they find the half shafts a fraction to long as they cause steering to bind. Or is it just me?
Ken

Russ Clark

Re: Front axle

Post by Russ Clark »

YES I DID, HAD TO DO SOME WORK WITH THE FITMENT.

Martin Taylor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Martin Taylor »

I know others have had problems with the front axle and have much appreciated the various tips. Having followed these I was pleased and not a little surprised when the diff. system all worked ok BUT there seems to be no easy solution to getting the stub axles to move for steering. It looks as though the length of the drive shafts pushes them so far into the stub shafts (EMO211) that when steering is attempted they foul the slotted (inboard) end of the shafts thus preventing any real steering movement. Attempting to shorten the slotted end of the shafts seems a bit drastic...can anyone advise what sort of "fitments" they have made to free up the steering?

Also is there advice as to the best stage to fit the steering motion pack?
Thanks
Martin

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3218 times

Post by Armortek »

On the prototype Quad we made the front drive half shafts a couple of mm shorter. On test these shafts dropped out of the the stub axles when turning sharp corners, and damaged the whole system quite badly. For production we made the shafts a touch longer and added the two springs at the inner ends to keep them fully engaged in the stub axles. It seems that we may have gone a bit over the top. Your models are best built without the springs being fitted. This seems to work well.

Mark
Armortek

Martin Taylor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Martin Taylor »

Many thanks Mark...as always your advice is much appreciated!
Martin

Dave Backway
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Dave Backway »

Good evening All,

I initially had problems with the fit of the half shafts where they seemed too long, however it turned out that the ball end on the shafts were slightly too large to allow them to sit deep in the cups. To fix this I re-profiled the ball end with a small file and now they fit perfectly. I hope this helps anyone who is scratching there heads as I did.

Regards

Dave