Quad Winch Cable Diameter

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Shaun Hunt
Been liked: 6 times

Quad Winch Cable Diameter

Post by Shaun Hunt »

Just curious on other peoples thoughts.

What cable diameter will you be using for the Quad winch.

I haven't done any research yet but was thinking about 2mm when looking at the 2 rollers EM0610 this would equate to 12mm full size. But i am not sure that it might be to thick.

Phil Crowther
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Quad Winch Cable Diameter

Post by Phil Crowther »

I found some wire rope at B&Q that is 1.5mm in diameter. After annealing it to get rid of both the bright steel look and to relax it somewhat it certainly looks the part. Also, at 95p per metre I can afford to get it wrong!

Phil :wink:

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

I have been experimenting with steel cables for winches on the US halftrack. On Ebay there are numerous types and diameters to be found at sizes appropriate for 1/6 models. I finally used 1mm cable 19 strand which is flexible enough. For every diameter there seems to be at least 2 types - 19 strand and 7x7 ( ie 7 strands of 7 wires). Strangely I found the 19 strand to be more flexible than 7x7 at 1mm but at larger diameters the 7x7 was more flexible. I didn't try 7x19 or any other variation. What I did was order various 1m lengths from a supplier £1 per m free postage and then order more when I found the right one. You will be surprised how much you will need on a small winch - 5m only just made 1 layer on the US halftrack- but don't overload the winch with too many layers since it becomes quite weighty.

Shaun Hunt
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Shaun Hunt »

Thanks for the replies.

I have done a little research since I posted the question and found only one article,
This mentions the winch cable for the Morris Quad. It said the cable circumference was 2 inches and it was 120 foot long.

So if my maths is correct scale cable would be 2.65mm diameter and 6.1 meters long

Regards

Shaun

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

Chris Hall and I found for our Mark IVs that S3i were a good and economic source of suitable cable and fittings. If you follow this link; https://www.s3i.co.uk/7x7.php the 2.5mm cable, taking Shaun's lead might be an appropriate cable to use?
All very interesting! Steve

Phil Crowther
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Phil Crowther »

Whilst the cable size is now more or less sorted, and in the absence of a fairlead, is there a specific route the cable should take from the winch drum over the pulleys or was it just a case of "pot-luck"? They (the pulleys) seem to be awfully far apart which makes me think a figure of eight route to bring both into play might be acceptable. :?
Phil

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

hello phil,
I think your correct that the cable follows a figure of eight pattern, the picture shows the drum and pulley arrangement, there is a guide roller next to the drum so I presume the cable winds/exits the drum on the right hand side looking at it from back to front, goes around the n/s pulley anti clockwise then around the other pulley clockwise then out the back of the vehicle over a guide roller, I would think this was the arrangement to stop the winch pulling the cable against any of the bodywork.
cheers, Chris.
Photo0503.jpg

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

From what I can see of walkarounds, the object to the left of the main winch drum os a cable layer, which appears to move up and down as the winch rotates.

There is a set of vertical and horizontal cable rollers on the front nearside bumper on all the Quads I've looked at, so I can't think why they wouldn't use the same on the back to act as a guide.

The fact that there are two quite large diameter pulleys make me wonder whether they are there to assist with mechanical advantage, rather than just to act as a simple guide. Does anyone know if the Quad came with a snatch block ?

Also, the offside pulley is twice the thickness of the nearside one, which might mean the cable can be wrapped around twice ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

chris fry
Been liked: 217 times

Post by chris fry »

hello all,
looking at it now I think the n/s pulley is to direct the cable to the front pulley guides on the front bumper, so the winch can be used at the front of the vehicle. like Adrian said a lot of pictures of the quad have cable guides on the n/s front bumper so this would explain the other rear pulley position.
all the pictures I have seen of the cable only using the o/s pulley has the cable coming out of the back of the vehicle only.
morris%20walkthrough%20(19).jpg
morris%20walkthrough%20(18).jpg
morris%20walkthrough%20(26).jpg
snow chains!!!!
snow chains!!!!