Quad, Mick, for the use of.

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Re: Quad, Mick, for the use of.

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Chaps, not to forget the ladies, I have started to put the electronics/motion/sound/ smoke, together.
Couple of questions....I noticed in a photograph, that on the batteries 'Chris' has fitted a double spade connector. I guess to be able to charge the batteries in situ...I would also like to fit these spades however, do I need to disconnect the new 'motion module' while charging the batteries, or simply make sure the module is not switched on....and then charge?
Also, I have three blanking plugs on my smoker....are these 'Quad' smokers filled by removing a blanking plug....just re-read that last question, I think I am losing my marbles..... Mick
Attachments
IMG_0716.JPG
Side and rear plates temporary fitted, to show available space
Side and rear plates temporary fitted, to show available space

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> do I need to disconnect the new 'motion module' while charging the batteries,
> or simply make sure the module is not switched on....and then charge?

I'm not sure if the new module is the same but the older "Power Module" was never full off, as the on/off switch was monitored by the internal electronics and did not isolate actually the power.

I would recommend adding a beefy toggle switch into the power line to the Motion Control Module, so that you can fully isolate it. That way you can turn off the power to charge, and for when the model will be placed in storage.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

I found that wiring in an automotive 2 pin plug and socket between the batteries and the power module accessible through a hatch proved useful. Can be disconnected to totally isolate the batteries, used to charge the batteries to avoid the need to install a charging socket and duplicate wiring and also to check the battery voltage.

Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Mick

There are many different versions in the forum of how people have switched or isolated their main power and charging circuits. I'm no electronics expert but I'm sure they all have merits.

In my Centurion I use a 24v relay to switch my batteries between a charging socket (which isolates the model electronics completely and therefore also serves as a master off switch) or alternatively to the Power Supply Unit and rest of modules for normal operation. Once a model engineering colleague had explained the wiring and working to me it was quite straightforward and works well. Also, of course, in a 1/6 tank there is usually plenty of room and accessibility.

The Quad will pose challenges as it all looks quite cramped? I see that Chris Fry has modified his model to use a rear hatch for access to on/off switches and charging connector. I'm some way off but wondered about using one (or more) of the side bins similarly, or even arranging for the bonnet to be open-able. Does the speaker leave much room under the hood for anything else??

Keep up the good work, watching with interest.
Kevin

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Kevin Peter and Adrian, thank you for your replies. I have scrolled through the posts reference battery charging. I came across a post from The Master, which says that it is not necessary to isolate the Motion Module....anyway I will give this issue a coat of looking over, and make a decision, thanks for your input chaps....
In the rear compartment there is more room than first appears. I have laid out the modules and smoker. My thinking is to run a switch for the smoker and on/off switch through the back plate to come out under the 'overhang'. I can also route the charging lead through the back plate. The switches will be out of the way and not obvious.
Kevin there is not a great deal of space behind the speaker....Mick
Attachments
The switches will fit into the back plate, just below the 'overhang'
The switches will fit into the back plate, just below the 'overhang'
Room also for the smoker
Room also for the smoker

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello everyone, I am bench testing the electronics, motion control module, audio module etc.
I have followed the setup procedure.
I have 'bound' the Tx to the Rx.
I have connected the steering servo to Rx, which works fine.
I have connected a radio lead from the motion module to the Rx to test the motor.
When I move the forward/reverse stick on my Tx.... I get a 'running' sound from the main motor however, I did expect the drive shafts CJO433 each side of the gearbox to rotate, they are not moving.
I can 'feel' that the motor is running, I would welcome any advice....? Mick

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Two of the gears (CM0601 and EE0503) need to be attached to the gearbox shafts with just Loctite, so if the motor is turning but the output shafts are not, then I would guess that one of these gears has not stuck and is turning on its shaft.

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Adrian, I guess something in the gearbox is loose or not connected. I was careful to apply plenty of Loctite where required. I will strip the gearbox down later and check.....Mick

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Hi Mick

The gears that are fixed in place with Loctite do not rely on the adhesive to transmit power. They would work with no adhesive at all, because they are layshafts. Gears required to transmit power to the shaft are fixed with grub screws onto machined flats. This second type are the ones to check.

Mark
Armortek

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thanks Mark, I will check and post the results, whatever they are :oops: ....Mick

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hi Guys....(young man speak), having stripped the gearbox down the motor ran smoothly and the gears were free. However, as soon as I rebuilt the gearbox and pulled the set screws tight....guess what, the drive shaft would not turn. Slackened the screws a touch and the motor/gears ran smoothly....problem solved. It looks as though I had not set the final gear fully back on the shaft, thereby locking the drive. All is well..... 8)Mick

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

Did you get the AR6100E receiver after ?

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dennis, yes I purchased a AR600e however, I have not managed to 'bind' it to my Tx. I have read somewhere that they are not compatible with the DX6. I have a AR610 which I am using.
I am hopeless with radios, if you have a moment I would welcome a little help with programming the sounds. I have 'steering' setup ok on left hand stick and forward/reverse is working on the right hand stick....I have had an engine 'sound' which has now disappeared into the ether..... :? Mick
Attachments
It's not usually like this.....
It's not usually like this.....

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello again, the final word on my attempt to 'setup' the Quad. All my own work....all done and dusted.
The 'sounds' are programmed, the steering/forward/reverse/winch...all working. :D
The engine sounds a little frazzled....however it is, well old....Thank you for all the advice.
I hereby promise not to post again soon....at least not this weekend, my lovely great grandson and my favourite grand daughter, are visiting us....Mick :D

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

Glad you got it sorted Michael. I find sometimes with electrickery you have to stand back and give it a good dose of thinking. :D