kit 49 is slowly coming together.

Forum for discussion relating to the Centurion
Martin Paul
Been liked: 9 times

kit 49 is slowly coming together.

Post by Martin Paul »

After many months of work and lots of trial and error (it's my first 6th Scale tank) :D . Centurion Kit 49 in finally starting to look like a real tank.
Attachments
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: kit 49 is slowly coming together.

Post by Stephen White »

She's looking good Martin, seems to have gone together well. Hope you've enjoyed the build so far. Looks like you're heading for a desert scheme - have you selected a final paint job? The workshop tooling looks like it rivals Mark's at Armortek. The bench looks like a brave move though.....

Best regards.

Stephen

Martin Paul

Post by Martin Paul »

Hi Stephen, Thanks for the feedback. Yes I am very pleased how the build is coming together although at times it has been a real challenge. This is my first attempt at a kit of this size and the engineering is sometime beyond me. However, I am learning fast and hopefully the next kit will be a little easier (Tiger 131).

Yes I am planning on a Desert scheme although I have not decided on the final paint job yet. Most of the photos I have found online are of tanks in Israel so I have loosely based it around those. Whilst I am looking for the tank to look realistic I am not to fused about it being exactly right. My intention is to have something that looks good and represents the Centurion tank in general.

I am always impressed with the skills of the other builders online and wish I had the skill and patience they show at times. I have used the forum as a knowledge base and would like to thank all the other members of the forum as they have been an inspiration to me during the more challenging parts of the build.

Yes I am lucky to have a full tool shop at my disposal although I am usually at the front of my plant and not the back.

I will post more pictures once the unit gets closure to final completion.
Attachments
israel347.jpg
_DSC4837.JPG

Martin Paul

Post by Martin Paul »

Hi All,

Can anyone advise on which handset and receiver to purchase for use with the Armortek kits. I am finding lots of conflicting reports and would appreciate some help.

I look forward to your feedback.

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

Martin - the most widely used rc gear for these models used to be the Futaba 2.4 7 channel, but these seem to be hard to come by new although there are usually some on ebay, albeit used. Don't know how many channels you need but I personally find this model very easy to use . The downside is that the receivers are relatively expensive at £50 ish. Others will have their favourite make and model JR etc. Don't be tempted by cheap radio equipment on an expensive model! The other thing to consider is that not all makes and models are compatible with Armortek electronics.

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Martin
Nice looking Cent.

The radio I use is a Futaba Fc7 2.4g FAST
Mark and Gill should be able to help as this is the radio Armortek stock.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Martin,

The Futaba 7C is no longer manufactured and don't go for the current 6 channel. I would go for a Spektrum preferably the DX8 or DX7 one of the main advantages is that it has failsafe on all channels not just channel 3 as with most radio gear. I have been using the DX8 for about 4 years now and I run all my models from the one transmitter because with the Spektrum system each receiver is bound to each model so no chance of controlling 2 models at the same time if one is left switched on. Also there is room to fit the Benedini encoder switch for sound selection.

Dennis.

Martin Paul

Post by Martin Paul »

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I have just spoken to Gill & Mark this morning and they have advised me on a number of possible solutions. In light of that discussion and Dennis's advice I will order the Spektrum DX8.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Martin

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Good to hear that Martin, also you will find that by taking the back off (not too easy) by undoing a couple of screws you can change the left hand stick from friction to spring return to centre. Which you need if driving 2 sticks. If you are going to drive single stick then let me know and I will tell you what to do in the setup.

Dennis.

Martin Paul

Post by Martin Paul »

Hi Dennis,

I have ordered a DX9 controller for the tank as the DX8 is on a 2 month order back log here in the US. However, I have been assured the programming function is the same so would be very interested to hear how you programmed your DX8 to single stick control. This would be my preferred method of driving the tank.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Martin

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Martin,

Before you do anything make sure that RX is bound to TX and check all channels are working with a servo. I would then connect up the RX to speed controller to Ch 2 (elev) and Ch 3 (thr) and make sure that the two tracks move ok on both sticks.

Hopefully your DX9 uses same functions as my DX8. First thing you need to do is go into "Systems Setup Menu" (by holding down thumbnail switch and then turning power on) :-

1. Model Type = Aircraft
2. Wing Type = Wing = Elevon Tail = Normal
3. Warnings = Disable all warnings (Throttle, Gear, Flaps)
4. Frame Rate = 22ms
5. System Settings = I assume you will be using the right hand stick for control if so you need
to make sure that Mode = 2 (so that Ch1 and Ch2 are on right hand stick)
if you want to use left hand stick then you will have to change the mode
to 3 in order to put Ch1 and Ch2 on left stick. You can also key in other
data on this item.
Press back to reset TX.

Channels 1 and 2 (ail and elev) are now mixed, if you want to you can plug 2 servos in to these 2 channels and both servos should move together. Now you need to plug the leads from the speed controller tracks to these 2 channels. The rest of the setup is experimental. Make sure tank is off the floor and try the controls, you may need to swap ch 1 and 2 over on the receiver and also possibly reverse one or both channels (right ail and left ail) to get directions correct.

Follow directions in manual to set up failsafe. To test, when driving tank forward hold stick in full forward and turn off transmitter and tank should stop within two feet.

Any problems then let me know. Best of luck.

Dennis.

Martin Paul

Post by Martin Paul »

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the information.The DX9 is due to arrive by the end of the week so hopefully this weekend's project will be trying to get the tank mobile. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Martin

Martin Paul

Post by Martin Paul »

Hi All,

Its finally all falling into place. This weekend the DX9 Arrived and I got Centurion #49 rolling. I would like to thank Dennis for his advise which made programming the DX9 Handset much easier than I expected.

This is a youtube link to its first drive up the workshop and outside:

Also I have posted a few more pictures showing the inside of the hull and also the tank when it is assembled. I still have some more detail work to do but I am pleased with the result so far.
Cent (Ready to roll).JPG
Cent Looking Up.JPG
Cent (test run hull pic).JPG
I would like to thank Amortek for creating these wonderful kits and also my friend Walt who has helped me through out this project. Its nice to have an electronics expert on the team when it comes to wiring etc.

I look forward to the next project.

Regards

Martin

Dennis Jones

Post by Dennis Jones »

Glad you got it sorted Martin.

Dennis.

David Skeldon
Has liked: 28 times